PDA

View Full Version : Turkey of the Week: Olympic Sports

Evolved
Saturday, August 21st, 2004, 02:05 AM
Turkey of the Week: Olympic Sports (http://www.4utah.com/sports/commentary/story.aspx?content_id=9A3EF646-A1C1-41B8-8D44-507726338B73)
By Scott Springer - Clear Channel, Cincinnati

Now for your turkey of the week....

This to the bad games I'm going to have to watch in Athens, Greece.

Now, don't get me wrong, I like the Olympics. I'm just not sure I need some of the games that are included. For example, do we need badminton?

I'm thinking anything that gets played at bad company or family picnics doesn't qualify as an Olympic sport. This includes horseshoes, lawn darts, cornhole, "Red Rover" or "bobbing for apples".

Then there's fencing. Do you know anyone who fences? Me neither.

Fencing occurs when you've added on to your landscape business.

Handball? If they play it in that little room, who can watch anyway?

There's also table tennis. Well, where I come from they call that ping pong. I know that great American Forrest Gump played a mean game of ping pong--but if it's in someone's rec room--is it really an Olympic sport? Do we have pinball, Astroids, Playstation or X-Box teams?

What do these games add to anything?

It can't be about the ratings. If they wanted to do big numbers for the Olympics in Greece. They'd do it like the ancient Olympians did...naked!

You try pulling me away from the women's softball,soccer and gymnastics then!

Evolved
Saturday, August 21st, 2004, 02:09 AM
Tug of war, rugby, polo, lacrosse, and golf were once on the Olympic programme. Croquet was played in the 1900 Olympics. Climbing, bridge, golf, roller skating and surfing are sports that are recognised by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

StrÝbog
Saturday, August 21st, 2004, 04:22 AM
bridge How is a card game a 'sport'?

Evolved
Saturday, August 21st, 2004, 04:43 AM
The Olympic status of Bridge

So far, Bridge has reached the same level as Golf, Rugby, Squash, Karate etc. which, though recognized as sports, are not yet admitted into the Olympic Games. From this level, bridge may belong to some International Associations of sports and be part of the Olympic Congress. The WBF logo and flag are included in IOC publications and displays.

Bridge and the Olympic Movement (http://www.worldbridge.org/IOC/IOC.htm)

I don't think it should be a sport, neither should chess. If bridge and ping pong are Olympic sports, why not Scrabble, spelling bees, juggling, or miniature golf?

Vojvoda
Saturday, August 21st, 2004, 04:49 AM
ping pong I kick butt at it :P Table tennis has always been popular in Europe,especially eastern Europe and even China( named after some guy called Ping Pong?) :D

Evolved
Monday, August 23rd, 2004, 11:31 PM
Air hockey, table hockey, and miniature golf are the only chance I have to win a gold medal. I could probably get bronze in archery. :)