PDA

View Full Version : Roots in Europe

Prussian
Wednesday, August 18th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Ok I thought I would start this thread so we can all can develop an idea of people's backgrounds in the sense of the term "European". Because obviously we are all from some form of European background though we are all of distinctly stablised and differing roots we are none the less European then one another, so please give examples of your interesting family background. So post away and please do not turn this into a territorial pissings contest.:)

Awar
Wednesday, August 18th, 2004, 03:32 PM
So post away and please do not turn this into a territorial pissings contest.:)

Montenegro is better than Prussia :P ;)

Prussian
Wednesday, August 18th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Montenegro is better than Prussia :P ;)Hahahaha, light hearted homour is good:D :P

Prussian
Wednesday, August 18th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Ok this is my contribution to the thread, well my roots in Europe come predominently from Germany obviously judging by my screename here on skadi. My family comes from the Australian German folk communities spread over the country and my father's side comes from the most famous region of German folk culture and that is the Barossa Valley with it's famous sparkling red wines with many vinesyards & orchards to add. In one of the more known townships within the Barossa region we have street named in our name.

The name itself comes from the Mńrkisch dialect & means basically "dragon like" and originates in Brandenburg-Brandenburg, obviously overtime the name moved into East Prussia as my father's roots are from Koenigsberg in it's former days though I have seen the name also showing up in West Prussian records also, back to the Barossa region most migrations came in the form of lowlanders with middle & Highlanders also but in smaller numbers.

As for my mother her father was german being West Prussian/Saxon though his family had been here for three generations at the time of my mother's birth and her mother was English thus in this case an Anglo-Saxon.

So for more simplistic run down......

Paternal:100% East Prussian origins, maintained through marriage with other migrant families from the region.

Maternal:25% West Prussian, 25% Saxon, 50% Anglo-Saxon

So basically it shows that I am rather a Germanic/Teutonic mixture of predominently Prussian background with an overall Saxon mix to add.

That is my little piece of my European identity and heritage and it would be interesting as well as pleasing to see other's elaborate on their own stories.:)

Prussian
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 04:47 PM
It seems people are not interested in this idea to share their own piece of European background(not asking for specifics just a general overview) or we just don't have any Europeans in here.:confused

Gesta Bellica
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 06:00 PM
we have many Europeans here..
but many of us doesn't have any catching story to tell as our ancestors were all of the same nation or even region..
For example all my ancestors were Lombard from two small towns distant to each other only 30km..there's not much to say or speculate about it.

probably this thread is more interesting for the non european folks that want to put on the map their ancestors

Prussian
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 06:05 PM
we have many European here..
but many of us doesn't have any catching story to tell as our ancestors were all of the same nation or even region..
For example all my ancestors were Lombard from two small towns distant to each other only 30km..there's not much to say or speculate about itThank you for your response and it is nice to see participation, but your example is a good generalisation nothing fancy no overall specifics just stating your roots.

I remarked on questioning of the extent of Europeans here merely to provoke a response as I know there are plenty to go around here, but basically this thread is not about who can tell the most interesting story or who is better but to merely share one's roots in Europe, again thanks for replying.:)

Gesta Bellica
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Thank you for your response and it is nice to see participation, but your example is a good generalisation nothing fancy no overall specifics just stating your roots.

I remarked on questioning of the extent of Europeans here merely to provoke a response as I know there are plenty to go around here, but basically this thread is not about who can tell the most interesting story or who is better but to merely share one's roots in Europe, again thanks for replying.:)

you're welcome :)
i just remember that somebody already posted a similar thread some time ago :)
But now we had a big change of members and it might be helpful to do this kind of inquiry again :)
I hope people will anser en masse ;)

Prussian
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 06:29 PM
you're welcome :)
i just remember that somebody already posted a similar thread some time ago :)
But now we had a big change of members and it might be helpful to do this kind of inquiry again :)
I hope people will anser en masse ;)Oh I was not aware of this, thank you for making me aware of the fact, though considering there has been a change with a new flood of members then it is possible that a thread of this nature is good for an update and I hope so too.:)

Johannes de Leˇn
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Just throwing some speculations -- I will surely not count all my ancestors, they are way too many.

54% Northern Portuguese
45% Galician
1% Irish (it might not even reach the 1% :D)

Prussian
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Just throwing some speculations -- I will surely not count all my ancestors, they are way too many.

54% Northern Portuguese
45% Galician
1% Irish (it might not even reach the 1% :D)Interesting & thanks for sharing.:)

Vestmannr
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Primarily Scottish (3/8) - Typically Border-folk, or from Galloway or the southern Highlands as well as the Northeast (around Aberdeen.).

Also 1/4 English - Somersetshire, Devonshire, Yorkshire, Lancashire

1/4 German - Palatine German, and also from Demmin in Mecklenberg.

Lastly, 1/8th Irish - mostly Leinster folk or from Antrim (pre-Plantation).

And, back in those groups I have lines leading back to France, etc. - esp. many of the old European royalty.

Oskorei
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 10:09 PM
50% Swedish (I only have knowledge of two generations here though)
12,5% German
37,5% Danish

Sigrun Christianson
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Hmm. I don't like numbers.

About 60% - 70% Germanic from Germany (Bavaria/Franconia) with mixture from Norway and slight mixture from Denmark. The rest is Irish, all from County Cork. :P

StrÝbog
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 10:29 PM
German
Swedish
Scottish and Irish with Viking influence

Northern Paladin
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 11:35 PM
25%Swedish
25%Danish
25%German
25%English

100% Northern European.

Prussian_Mystic
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 02:57 AM
Paternal:
im 42% East Prussian from the Village of of Kriegstein,Now known as Morskoe 8% Latvian(Possibly just Lettlandsdeutsche) from Somewhere in Courland.
Maternal: 25% Frisian,from town of Sylt in the Danish Frisian islands. 12.5% Danish from Malm÷ in Scňnia,and 12.5% Icelandic from town of ╠safj÷■ur,the family origannly came from Tromso,in Finnmark.

so yeah...Im a teutonic Mutt :D But hey I figure i just got the best of all the diffrent world

Evolved
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 03:37 AM
Western Europe (Flemish ~ West-Vlaanderen, Anglo-Saxon ~ Steeple Ashton UK, Scottish ~ MacDh¨ghaill clan)
Central (German ~ Bavaria, Austrian ~ Tirol, Czech ~ no idea, Magyar ~ Matyˇf÷ld)
Eastern (Polish ~ Dolnoslaskie, Russian ~ Vologda/Urals, Serb ~ Bog only knows..)
Baltic & North Eastern (Lithuanian ~ Kaunas, Latvian ~ Bauska, Inari Saami ~ Finland)
Urals (Bashkir ~ Chelyabinsk, Tatar ~ Kazan/Lithuania)

Pan-European unity in the flesh. Go me. :smoke

JoeDas
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 04:01 AM
You should be able to tell my ancestry by my signature :) ...

I am third generation to be born in USA. What that means is the majority of my great-grandparents were born in the old country, a few of them were first generation born here though.

Stew
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Primarily Scottish (3/8) - Typically Border-folk, or from Galloway or the southern Highlands as well as the Northeast (around Aberdeen.).

Wow someone else with Galloway roots!

Mostly Scottish here (5/8), predominantly from Galloway (Wigton/Kirkcudbright) and some Argyll on the paternal side, with a touch of Welsh 5 generatons back. On the maternal side Germanic (3/8), Prussians from Breig, and Bavarians from Munich, with some more Argyll origin Scots by way of Fife.

Gesta Bellica
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Seems like there are few people that can trace the 100% of their ancestors back to one single ethnicity :D

Johannes de Leˇn
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Seems like there are few people that can trace the 100% of their ancestors back to one single ethnicity :D Well, Northern Portugal and Galicia -- they were both part of the ancient province of Gallaecia -- are very similar regarding ethnicity. So, I can trace almost 100% of it. :D

Pedro
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 10:33 AM
That's not easy for me, but:

25% North Spain (Burgos)

12,5% North Africa settlers (Tetuan) but of South Portugal

12,5% South Spain (Huelva)

My maternal family was a militar family and they have make many interregional travels and every generation it was in another place before the civil war, with Franco was my family destroyed and no more of militar tradition.

Prussian_Mystic
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Seems like there are few people that can trace the 100% of their ancestors back to one single ethnicity :D My Paternal family were nobility,so thats why such tedious records were kept,we have records going very very far back,as far as my maternal family,records were only back to the 1400`s at the oldest

Triglav
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Rough estimates, as it's hard to say how my ancestors declared themselves as:

90%-95% Slovene
4%-6% Hungarian
2%-3% Austro-German

Prussian
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Seems like there are few people that can trace the 100% of their ancestors back to one single ethnicity :DYes it seems very much so, I am just thankful I can trace it under one banner (Germanic) of the Teutonic family, but there is definitely some interesting lines coming up in this thread for sure.:)

Vestmannr
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 06:47 PM
My Paternal family were nobility,so thats why such tedious records were kept,we have records going very very far back,as far as my maternal family,records were only back to the 1400`s at the oldest

Same here. Paternal family records going back to the 1200's, and then claims as far as ancestors back to the 700's. First record really is 1189, anything before that is considered 'time immemorial' in British law (from what I understand.) I don't trust the documents though, they have discrepancies and sometimes seem to 'skip' a generation: I doubt guys in their 70s were having children in the Middle Ages, for instance. That indicates to me that a father and son might have been 'fused' into one person, especially if they bore the same name. That, or I'm descended from virile 'dirty old men' in Scotland.

My maternal line I don't know before 1870s, though I understand the records should be in the Lutheran church in Demmin. Someday I should go there.

Awar
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Around 75% Montenegrin
around 25% Serbian.

I can trace back my family ancestry to the 1600's and clan back to 1400's.

Allenson
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 07:29 PM
OK--In order of percetages:

Dutch, English, German, Irish, Danish, Scottish, Swiss & Norwegian

Details provided upon receipt of PM. ;)

Zrinski
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Well I can also rach far into the past. The first noted ancestor of mine was mentioned in 1475. where it has been said he fled from Ottoman Turks from Kingdom of Bosnia. He came to Slavonia and served there as a soldier. Many generations followed the same path being border soldiers for the Austrian Monarchy.

My maternal line is extremly mixed so I have very little information about them except that some were nobles and from where they came of course.

Basically I am:
Paternal line:
50% Croat(from Bosnia....posibble Thraco-Illyrian or maybe even Greek origin.)

Maternal line:
12,5% Italian(Nobles - they were living in Sirmium but how they came there is unknown to me. They were originally from Padova-Veneto region and it is said I still have dstant cousins there)

12,5% German(Danube Swabian - they were merchants and they also came to Sirmium).

12,5% Hungarian - (South Hungarian - all I know they were living in Esseg-Osijek).

12,5% Czech - (posibbly of Moravian origin though I don't know much except that they originated from the border with Hungary, they were like the Italian side nobles, but my great-grandfather married my great-grandmother who was Hungarian and not of noble origin so they disinherited him and to this day we don't know if there is any family left. There is a document however which say that he had to serve for his brother additional 3 years in the Austro-Hungarian army because his brother deserted :p).

bocian
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Polish, with a liitle bit of German, Russian and Belarussian. The exact % is difficult to calculate since I don't have much contact with the grandparents who are still alive and my parents don't know exact details either.

Tricknologist
Monday, August 30th, 2004, 12:38 AM
My dad is Italian and Irish. Both sides of the family being post civil war immigrants.

My mom's family is mostly French.

My grandfather's family were French nobility and came here with Bienville. There is some Irish nobility that fled to France to escape the English that married into the family. And, there is some Spanish married in from when Louisiana was a Spanish possesion. My ancestors lost their claim to nobility when the Louisiana purchase made them Americans. They lost the family fortune and all of their slaves when they refused to pledge allegiance to the US after losing the civil war.

My grandmother is French with Irish and English married into her family as well.