PDA

View Full Version : Dont Miss Olympic Games Opening Ceremony!

Alkman
Friday, August 13th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Although I'm skeptic about modern Olympic Games (especially from 1984 and after),i suggest none of you miss today's opening ceremony.If only half of what ive heard of some volunteers is true...

rusalka
Friday, August 13th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Although I'm skeptic about modern Olympic Games (especially from 1984 and after),i suggest none of you miss today's opening ceremony.If only half of what ive heard of some volunteers is true...
I have a strong belief that both the opening and the closing ceremonies will be one of the best in the history of Olympics. From what they are saying the main theme will be the sea, that the gods have an important part in the ceremonies and that the Greek timeline will be displayed from ancient times to Byzantium to modern with cultural aspects of different periods emphasized. Very exciting! :)

Here's a story related to the Games in Athens:

http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=15783

Spartacus74
Friday, August 13th, 2004, 10:08 PM
I followed, it was very nice and exting, a friend of mine very pagan phoned me saing that it was nice to see it giving a monitor to the fact that ancient deities are becoming quite popular again in the European heritage.

For who is Greek, i meet a group of historic music of Greece called Daemonia Nynphae, very nice!

Tryggvi
Saturday, August 14th, 2004, 01:07 AM
I followed, it was very nice and exting, a friend of mine very pagan phoned me saing that it was nice to see it giving a monitor to the fact that ancient deities are becoming quite popular again in the European heritage.

For who is Greek, i meet a group of historic music of Greece called Daemonia Nynphae, very nice!
The artistic opening parts have been far too progressive for my taste. One should give a venue of that significance the respect that is due. Las Vegas-style fanfare with kitschy modern sculptures and the desecration of Greek mythology lead directly into the embarrasing Eros dancing spectacle. A Dutch Techno DJ hammering the sounds to the parade of the athletes?

No, thank you. Every Greek and every European deserved much better. How great and noble could it have been!

What is nice is that the Games returned to Greece -- this should have happened in 1996 already, however, and that Olympia is this time part of the venues. For the first time since the last of the ancient Olympics in 393 AD, Olympia will resound to the buzz of competition. The men's and women's shot put finals will be staged there, where Corobeus streaked to win the first foot race over 192 meters in 776 BC.

But again, with such a history, such an opening ceremony is plainly pathetic. In fact, it is an offense. Germany did better in Berlin 1936 -- with far less means, I might add.

bocian
Saturday, August 14th, 2004, 01:16 AM
The artistic opening parts have been far too progressive for my taste. One should give a venue of that significance the respect that is due. Las Vegas-style fanfare with kitschy modern sculptures and the desecration of Greek mythology lead directly into the embarrasing Eros dancing spectacle. A Dutch Techno DJ hammering the sounds to the parade of the athletes?

No, thank you. Every Greek and every European deserved much better.

What is nice is that the Games returned to Greece -- this should have happened in 1996 already, however, and that Olympia is this time part of the venues. For the first time since the last of the ancient Olympics in 393 AD, Olympia will resound to the buzz of competition. The men's and women's shot put finals will be staged there, where Corobeus streaked to win the first foot race over 192 meters in 776 BC.

But again, with such a history, such an opening ceremony is plainly pathetic. In fact, it is an offense. Germany did better in Berlin 1936 -- with far less means, I might add.

Must you be such a critic? :D

I thought it was quite good, especially compared with the last few olympics.

It is made for the masses so don't expect much.

StrÝbog
Saturday, August 14th, 2004, 01:51 AM
Must you be such a critic? :D

Without criticism, nothing would improve. :D

It is made for the masses so don't expect much.

Yes, the masses of all nations are infamous for their poor taste.
I like the Mencken quote "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

Nordhammer
Saturday, August 14th, 2004, 04:02 AM
Doesn't help that they sold out to corporations either.

http://adbusters.org/thefront/news.html

Nordhammer
Saturday, August 14th, 2004, 04:07 AM
Without criticism, nothing would improve. :D

Yes, the masses of all nations are infamous for their poor taste.
I like the Mencken quote "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

It's not even about America and we're still back to bashing them. :D

StrÝbog
Monday, August 16th, 2004, 01:00 AM
It's not even about America and we're still back to bashing them. :D

Well my point was that it is true of all countries, but I couldn't find an trenchant quote for any country other than America. ;)

Prince Eugen
Tuesday, August 17th, 2004, 08:44 PM
I'm oppose in this ''Olympics '' of Coca-Cola and Nike!This games are only for commercial reasons!

Aristotle
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 09:22 AM
EYTYXEITE!

Dear PRINCE EUGEN that's true! The only I dissagree with you is the way you are writing your nic "PRINCE"... I had rather to read "PRINZ"...
Kindest Regards!

I'm oppose in this ''Olympics '' of Coca-Cola and Nike!This games are only for commercial reasons!

rusalka
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 06:16 PM
I agree that the Olympics have turned to be too commercial, especially in these past years, that's why I had found that project, "The Nemean Games" so interesting but no one here is going to make me think that the opening ceremony wasn't worth it. Personally, and this is someone who has taken an art history and design education speaking, I found the opening ceremony to be breathtaking. The only thing that bothered me was to be watching it from NBC, having it cut by commercials every 7 minutes and the obnoxious commentators. What is more, these people, being totally ignorant about what they are supposed to be talking just did not stop and had to say something on every ocassion, giving me two extreme examples, such as:

- And now here is the Soviet Republic of Georgia, their team entered the stadium

- Athena is named after Athena, the city's patron saint

Georgia has been a sovereign country since the disintegration of the USSR, in 1991. And I don't know how to comment on Athena being called a patron saint. I thought the whole world, obligatorily knew the basics of Greek Mythology and Athena being one of the major gods.. oh well, whatever. :nope

The show itself and every part of it being connected so wonderfully was amazing. Starting the history with the water as it is thought of by science too and linking the water to the sea, which is so important to Greece. Linking all this to chaos, birthing from itself and bringing forth Eros, which caused everything be.. it was all so accurate and not a single moment lacked proper allegory and history. The historical timeline of mankind and mainly of Greek history was amazing too. I loved the way the models were half human, half construct; a look so familiar within ancient Greek art and later in the iconic representations. Ending it all with the DNA spiral / infinity symbol left me speechless.

Call me a softie but there were moments where I almost cried. Yeah well, I am an emotional soppy. :) The Olympics have always meant a lot to me as watching them has always been a family tradition -especially back when there was only one channel on TV and it would air the Olympics non-stop, we'd gather either in my grandparents' house or my aunts' and watch them as a family gathering event. The Olympic competitons leave a lot to be desired these last couple of years, one major thing that's been bothering me is that whichever country is the best off economically, they are bound to win -which wasn't the case during the so-called "Iron-Curtain" days. Also, living in the US, we are more or less forced to watch those events in which the USA is taking part, and missing events such as fencing (my favorite) to a great degree not to mention weightlifting, wrestling, archery etc.

All in all, I am more than happy that Athens got this year's Olympiad. Congratulations to our Greek friends who have -so far- made a great job of it. :thumbsup Even though I don't want it to end, I'm looking forward to the closing ceremonies too.

And Athens looks so beautiful with all the lights of the Acropolis and the Olympic Stadium on at night, it made me secretly plan of moving there. Well, at least visit. :)

Nordhammer
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 07:14 PM
I agree that the Olympics have turned to be too commercial, especially in these past years, that's why I had found that project, "The Nemean Games" so interesting but no one here is going to make me think that the opening ceremony wasn't worth it. Personally, and this is someone who has taken an art history and design education speaking, I found the opening ceremony to be breathtaking. The only thing that bothered me was to be watching it from NBC, having it cut by commercials every 7 minutes and the obnoxious commentators.

I agree about the commentators, I don't care to listen to their inane opinions and rambling about what is going on. They really need to change that, they talk way too much.

rusalka
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 07:19 PM
I agree about the commentators, I don't care to listen to their inane opinions and rambling about what is going on. They really need to change that, they talk way too much.
And that's the way they behave in Olympic events, too. I guess NBC is paying them for not to shut up for even one minute because they just keep talking and talking not just expressing opinions (which we could spare, I think) but filling it in with useless trivia such as "I had never seen him do this", "have you ever seen him to this mistake?", "no I have never seen him to that". Who the hell are you? Are you an NBC commentator or are you the live-in trainer for the gymnastics team? :P

Nordhammer
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 07:20 PM

It's a shame, but it's necessary, they give millions as sponsors. Without sponsors' money they wouldn't be able to afford the Olympics as they want to have it.

Nordhammer
Saturday, August 21st, 2004, 06:34 AM
Bit Torrent links -

Olympic Games Opening Ceremony Part1 (http://66.90.75.92/suprnova//torrents/2414/Olympic%20Opening%20Ceremony%20-%20Athens%202004%20(BBC)%20Part%201of3.D igiTVRip.XviD-avi.torrent)

Olympic Games Opening Ceremony Part2 (http://66.90.75.92/suprnova//torrents/2414/Olympic%20Opening%20Ceremony%20-%20Athens%202004%20(BBC)%20Part%202of3.D igiTVRip.XviD-avi.torrent)

Olympic Games Opening Ceremony Part3 (http://66.90.75.92/suprnova//torrents/2416/Olympic%20Opening%20Ceremony%20-%20Athens%202004%20(BBC)%20Part%203of3.D igiTVRip.XviD-avi.torrent)

Nordhammer
Sunday, August 22nd, 2004, 01:44 AM
Olympic Games Opening Ceremony Part1 (http://66.90.75.92/suprnova//torrents/2414/Olympic%20Opening%20Ceremony%20-%20Athens%202004%20(BBC)%20Part%201of3.D igiTVRip.XviD-avi.torrent)

Olympic Games Opening Ceremony Part2 (http://66.90.75.92/suprnova//torrents/2414/Olympic%20Opening%20Ceremony%20-%20Athens%202004%20(BBC)%20Part%202of3.D igiTVRip.XviD-avi.torrent)

Olympic Games Opening Ceremony Part3 (http://66.90.75.92/suprnova//torrents/2416/Olympic%20Opening%20Ceremony%20-%20Athens%202004%20(BBC)%20Part%203of3.D igiTVRip.XviD-avi.torrent)