PDA

View Full Version : 76% of Sports Teams Promote Junk Food: Blamed for Childhood Obesity

Verđandi
Thursday, March 29th, 2018, 05:20 AM
America’s top sports organizations are fueling the childhood obesity epidemic by promoting fast food and sodas, researchers claim.

More than three quarters of food products and half of beverages sponsored by the leagues most popular among American children are unhealthy, a new study declares.

Public health experts have long questioned the hypocrisy behind top athletes such as LeBron James and Serena Williams serving as the face of sugary drinks and fast food brands – and this study highlights an even deeper link between the sports industry and the promotion of unhealthy habits.
https://www.infowars.com/76-of-sports-teams-promote-junk-food-blamed-for-childhood-obesity/

Sigurd
Thursday, March 29th, 2018, 11:49 AM
And there's another case of shifting the blame. There's no obligation of sports idols to promote a healthy lifestyle, because everyone with a grain of sense knows that eating a Big Mac a day won't get you to look like one of the Greek statues. The burden of instilling a healthy lifestyle into children is upon their parents, and yes, this does mean finding a way to make them like salad instead of hamburgers. ;)

Aelfgar
Thursday, March 29th, 2018, 01:21 PM
I half agree with Sigurd, but advertsing is a powerful force. I think there is a good case for banning advertising of unhealthy food and drink. Actually, I'm against persuasive advertising in general - it should be informative only: this is what we are selling; this is what it looks like; this is what it does; this is what it costs.

Sigurd
Thursday, March 29th, 2018, 01:34 PM
I half agree with Sigurd, but advertsing is a powerful force. I think there is a good case for banning advertising of unhealthy food and drink. Actually, I'm against persuasive advertising in general - it should be informative only: this is what we are selling; this is what it looks like; this is what it does; this is what it costs.

And I half agree with you. Advertising is a powerful force, and that's why they abuse it to give us their agenda, such as when it comes to seeking to normalise inter-racial couplings. At the same time, banning the advertisement of a harmful thing doesn't change a thing if you don't tackle the overall problem. People take their kids to McDonald's because there's one around every corner, not because they saw the newest Meal Deal on TV. It's the overall availability and its mental connection to an 'easy family lifestyle'. :(

Was the same with the EU tobacco advertising ban - too many people are still smoking, despite that, and it wasn't all that effective, either just because it's now playground friends telling them that smoking was rebellious or cool instead of huge placards with pilots wearing sunglasses. ;)

Gareth Lee Hunter
Thursday, March 29th, 2018, 03:00 PM
Besides poisoning children with junk food, encouraging them to lead sedentary lifestyles in front of televisions, computer games, and other forms of physical inactivity is also destroying their mental and physical health.

And if some children should become too 'normally' active, annoyed parents who don't want to be bothered with being attentive to the needs of their developing progeny just put them on psych drugs to keep them 'calm'. This also results in diminished mental acuity, and obesity.

It's really a bad idea for many people to procreate these days.

Aelfgar
Friday, March 30th, 2018, 05:48 PM
Besides poisoning children with junk food, encouraging them to lead sedentary lifestyles in front of televisions, computer games, and other forms of physical inactivity is also destroying their mental and physical health.

And if some children should become too 'normally' active, annoyed parents who don't want to be bothered with being attentive to the needs of their developing progeny just put them on psych drugs to keep them 'calm'. This also results in diminished mental acuity, and obesity.

It's really a bad idea for many people to procreate these days.
When I was a kid there were very often groups of boys playing sports in the local fields in summer. Now you don't see them, apart from organised competitions. And lots of children walked to school but now most are taken in cars. Also, many schools have sold off their playing fields for building. I'm not one of those people who wants to return to a hunter-gatherer society :) but 'civilisation' has gone too far.