PDA

View Full Version : Krapina 1 browridges

morfrain_encilgar
Wednesday, August 11th, 2004, 08:39 PM
The Kapina 1 specimen has been used as evidence that at Krapina, some hominids were closer to moderns than the others were. Three characters, are all interpreted as neanderthaloid characters in this study, while two other characters are seen as inconclusive.

The browridges of Krapina 1 are intermediate between the conditions in neanderthal and Upper Paleolithic populations in Europe. The browridges are similar to those of certain specimens which are likely to be hybrids between neanderthals and moderns.

Also, the post-bregmatic depression that is seen in Krapina 1 and some other Krapina specimens, is found in some American populations and also in Skhul 1. And, the wide frontals of Krapina 1 is found in both neanderthals and in Upper Paleolithic modern Eurpoeans.

This study was intended to see of Krapina 1 is closer to moderns than the other Krapina specimens are, and it doesn't really go far in investigating regional continuity between Krapina and modern populations, except where it is relevant to Krapina 1.

Dr. Solar Wolff
Monday, August 16th, 2004, 05:13 AM
What is the current dating on Krapina? As I recall, it changed between the time Coon wrote about it in Origin of Races and the present.

morfrain_encilgar
Monday, August 16th, 2004, 12:09 PM
What is the current dating on Krapina? As I recall, it changed between the time Coon wrote about it in Origin of Races and the present.

I think the dating is at around 130,000 years old.

Dr. Solar Wolff
Tuesday, August 17th, 2004, 05:46 AM
I think the dating is at around 130,000 years old.

The reason I asked was because Coon says in Origin of Races that they are Riss-Wuerm Interglacial in the text but on page 726 he revises the date to about 30,000 years ago.

Coon sees these people as almost modern except for the browridges of the two adults (other skulls were children). They are both round-headed. The post cranial bones look modern to Coon except for the femur and patella which look suspiciously Neanderthal. The scapulae are European. The culture associated with them is Mousterian with some Acheulean and "pre-Aurignacian elements".

If your date is accurate, then these people could be among the earliest sapiens/Neanderthal hybrids and perhaps even proto-Borrebys although the other post-cranial bones seem a bit light.