PDA

View Full Version : Textile Arts and Handicrafts

Siebenbürgerin
Saturday, November 11th, 2017, 11:09 AM
I'm wondering how many Skadi members are familiar with handicrafts like sewing, knitting, crocheting, embroidery and so forth. Which of those arts and crafts can you practice and how well? How did you learn them, was it passed down from a family member or did you take a class, self-teach through tutorials, etc.?

Which is your favorite textile art or handicraft and which patterns fo you prefer? If you don't practice it yourself, which is your favorite to buy, for example?

I can do some basic sewing (sew buttons and correct some basic mishaps in clothes). I learned how to do some hand knitting in school in our crafts subject and I liked it so I continued to do it for a while. I would sit and knit during schoolbreaks and it was fun. I got to the stage where I could make a scarf. Unfortunately, I've abandoned the practice and haven't tried it in a while, but I'm considering taking it up as a hobby. Hmm, I wonder if it's like riding a bicycle. Nowadays with everything automated in the industry, such skills are no longer important/needed in the first world, which in my view is a pity.

Here a list of textile handicrafts:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handicraft#Using_textiles_or_leather

Textile arts:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textile_arts

SpearBrave
Saturday, November 11th, 2017, 11:19 AM
Good Thread!:thumbup

As some of you know I have a very strong passion for all handcrafts. I often think that people who make things by hand put part of themselves into the items being made. Handcrafts also help define who we are and are cultural signatures.

I don't do textile arts, but I love looking at them and owning them. Things like handmade scarves, hats, sweaters and other items. These things also define your own personal taste.

Gefjon
Saturday, November 11th, 2017, 11:35 AM
I can sew, knit & crochet. Sometimes I do it for stress, it calms the nerves. :D Most folks are shocked when they learn about it LOL, but I'm a housewife, so I need such hobbies. :knitting ;)

Norman Pride
Saturday, November 11th, 2017, 12:20 PM
Just sewing, also the basics. I really like beads, embroidery and traditional lace. Maybe one day I could learn one of them.

Schmetterling
Saturday, November 11th, 2017, 09:34 PM
I can sew (basic). I learned some basic knitting as a child but never really practiced it so I forgot it...

Sigurd
Monday, November 13th, 2017, 01:28 AM
I fear more than any sane man should admit to. :D

In primary school, I was much better at the textile arts than at the technical ones and was top of the class in knitting, crocheting, embroidering and weaving, some of my works were even put on display along the school gangways for their exquisitie handicraft. :P

Then upon transitioning to secondary school, I didn't want to be the only boy in the textile class or be seen as a faggot by my fellow men and went into the technical class like everyone else. And that was my career in the textile field done. ;)

The haphazard result of my handcraft on that end ensured I wasn't going to end up in a manual apprenticeship, but it tought me useful skills for use in DIY nonetheless that came in handy much more recently. :)

Blod og Jord
Sunday, December 31st, 2017, 10:16 AM
I can sew (hand and machine) and knit.

I'm currently taking an interest in refashioning, tweaking or making my own clothes. I started it by coincidence because I burnt one of my new and favorite camisoles and felt bad about throwing it away, so I cut out the burnt portion and sewed a lace trim. I did the same with a top that was too short, added a lace trim. I liked the effect so I looked up some useful ideas online, I want to try with other fabrics.

Some ideas:

15 QUICK AND EASY LACE FIXES FOR OLD GARMENTS (http://www.pearlsandscissors.com/2015/04/15-quick-and-easy-lace-fixes-for-old/)

Lace fabric and Trims : 30 ways to add them to your clothes (https://sewguide.com/lace-inserts-and-trims/)

10 Unique {FABRIC TRIMS} to embellish your fabric (https://sewguide.com/fabric-trims/)

Elizabeth
Monday, January 1st, 2018, 01:06 AM
When I was a kid one of my babysitters taught me how to embroider.
I know how to sew on buttons and how to take up the hem of pant legs (by hand only).

Şoreiğar
Monday, January 1st, 2018, 06:05 AM
I recently learned how to braid with willows, as well as leather sewing. The latter has come really handy, as I now can easily make new covers for my axes and other blades I use. Been wanting to sew my own leather jacket some day, but that is way above my level as of now. Both crafts were learned through extra-curricular courses at my school.

Siebenbürgerin
Friday, January 5th, 2018, 08:05 PM
Hmm, interesting responses so far. I've to admit I'm a little bit taken aback by the number of votes and responses and even some of the responses. :) Of course in a positive way, it's pleasant to see so many Germanic peoples still mastering some type of traditional skill. :thumbup

Blod og Jord that's also innovative about the clothes tailoring. It's an interesting idea because there are many new fashion ideas but to be honest I'm not a fan of the modern fashion, especially the strange shapes and cuts... :| The lace trims are a very good compromise if you find for example a nice top or sweater, but which happens to be too short... I've not a sewing machine however, but my mother might still have one from my grandmother's days. Maybe I could learn some basics or maybe there's a hand sewing alternative for it? Nice ideas anyhow! :thumbup