PDA

View Full Version : Nail Polish, Nail Art & Acrylic Nails

Siebenbürgerin
Friday, August 25th, 2017, 10:07 AM
I'm opening this theme because manicure is a popular trend in my country, especially with women my age. I'm literally the only woman at my working place which doesn't have false/acrylic or gel nails.

I've opposed this trend for a long time for two reasons: it can look cheap, and it's unhealthy. Long false nails are breeding grounds for bacteria and acrylic nails can damage the nail bed and cause fungus. Not to mention the fumes and chemicals involved.

The initial trend for fake nails was to have long French nails, stiletto nails or duck nails. It was mostly worn by celebrities, sex industry workers and eccentric peoples. Then the styles changed and many women got into nail art, some self-made, at home, others at professional nail salons. Today the styles are more varied and the length of the nails can also vary. Some I've to admit can look pretty, but there are too many disadvantages to be worth. It#s preferable to stick to nail art with nail polish.

Nail art sometimes only involves nail polish but frequently it involves fake nails. In my view, fake nails are another symptom of a materialistic society, where everything needs to be perfect and symmetric.

Some time ago, one of my superiors recommended me to go to a nail salon, and pushed giving her contact details to me eventhough I made it clear I'm not interested in getting fake nails. She implied I had ugly nails, because I keep my nails cut normal length and don't use polish. For a moment she almost succeeded in making me feel like a freak, but I ended up throwing the visit card in the trash.

What is your view about this trend and for women, do you wear nail polish or acrylic nails?

Wyrd
Friday, August 25th, 2017, 12:21 PM
I like nail art, but it's too much of a fuss to make/keep. I have a friend who does nail art herself, she also does my hair occasionally.

Some cute styles I'd like to try:

http://www.lovethispic.com/uploaded_images/11227-Vintage-Rose-Nails.jpg

https://pippahodi.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/vintage-rose-nail-art.jpg

http://www.womentriangle.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/15-Cute-Dandelion-Nail-Art-Ideas-And-Tutorials-700x400.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/IiQfHu9W6lA/maxresdefault.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/29/bb/26/29bb267181b40db6ecc006f8e3ed8353--vintage-rose-nails-vintage-roses.jpg

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t429/mattaniasalvina/mattaniasalvina078/vintage-rose-nails-thumbnail_zps0558008f.jpg

No fake nails though, I had them done once for a wedding and one of them broke off... not nice. I imagine not very clean either, I didn't wear mine long enough to test, went to the manicurist the next day and took them off...

Like you say, it's a fad and a trend to be "perfect". We, women must always find some fashion trend to occupy our minds with, sometimes it can be a bit vain. These Pinterest DIY nail arts are trendy, but many women fail at them. You've got to have precision and patience to do it... I usually just wear some clear nail polish or add some shimmering if I want to "spruce up".

There's a debate between swimmers, whether we should keep our nails long or cut them short, some say longer helps swim faster. I usually cut mine normally, I don't like the feeling of swimming with long nails, but to each his own...

Reginleif
Saturday, August 26th, 2017, 06:57 PM
I like nail art; but I prefer it on natural ones.
Acrylic nails in my opinion are very ugly... not to mention it is more plastic waste into the planet.

I have several nail polish, from basic nude ones to very dark / colorful (I'm wearing a dark blue atm). :D

Nachtengel
Thursday, September 21st, 2017, 01:40 PM
I usually wear black or transparent nail polish. No fake/acrylic nails either. Those duck ones are really disgusting, how can anyone do housework and the like with those? Never understood...

Bärin
Saturday, September 30th, 2017, 05:12 PM
No, acrylic nails are artificial and can damage the nail, not to mention the long ones are a hazard. As a stay at home mother with three children I clean, do dishes, prepare food and so on often, long stiletto nails would get in the way, it's also disgusting because they trap germs. One more fad from modern culture which I reject.

Uwe Jens Lornsen
Monday, October 2nd, 2017, 08:53 AM
Nails and teeth are a Wolfe's attribute.

Cat suits.

Leopard spot clothes.

War.
Among women.

Hyenas.
Intercourse.

Alice
Wednesday, November 28th, 2018, 04:00 PM
I've tried artificial nails a few times in the past, but I didn't like them because of the damage, maintenance and expense involved. Personally, I am also concerned with the fact that artificial nails (or longer natural nails) harbor high concentrations of bacteria and can contribute to the transmission of pathogens. :fduck:

Nowadays, I keep my nails fairly short, but I do like wearing nail polish sometimes.

Wuotans Krieger
Wednesday, November 28th, 2018, 05:22 PM
I'm opening this theme because manicure is a popular trend in my country, especially with women my age. I'm literally the only woman at my working place which doesn't have false/acrylic or gel nails.

I've opposed this trend for a long time for two reasons: it can look cheap, and it's unhealthy. Long false nails are breeding grounds for bacteria and acrylic nails can damage the nail bed and cause fungus. Not to mention the fumes and chemicals involved.

The initial trend for fake nails was to have long French nails, stiletto nails or duck nails. It was mostly worn by celebrities, sex industry workers and eccentric peoples. Then the styles changed and many women got into nail art, some self-made, at home, others at professional nail salons. Today the styles are more varied and the length of the nails can also vary. Some I've to admit can look pretty, but there are too many disadvantages to be worth. It#s preferable to stick to nail art with nail polish.

Nail art sometimes only involves nail polish but frequently it involves fake nails. In my view, fake nails are another symptom of a materialistic society, where everything needs to be perfect and symmetric.

Some time ago, one of my superiors recommended me to go to a nail salon, and pushed giving her contact details to me eventhough I made it clear I'm not interested in getting fake nails. She implied I had ugly nails, because I keep my nails cut normal length and don't use polish. For a moment she almost succeeded in making me feel like a freak, but I ended up throwing the visit card in the trash.

What is your view about this trend and for women, do you wear nail polish or acrylic nails?

I don't wear fake nails myself. I regard the whole thing as rather bimbo-esque. Generally women who indulge in this 'work' as an 'occupation' are not fitted to do anything else.

LillyCaterina
Wednesday, November 28th, 2018, 08:37 PM
When I have a manicure and pedicure, I usually get gel nails with nail art on my tootsies and fingers. Gel nails are more durable and last longer. :)

Fire spirit
Wednesday, December 19th, 2018, 10:34 AM
No I don't wear fake acrylic nails. I've grown and filed my nails but this causes problems (I couldn't rub my own eyes for fear of scratching them out) so I just prefer them short.
I wear polish but only pale colours like pink, white or silver.

Elizabeth
Wednesday, December 19th, 2018, 12:46 PM
I have natural nails. Sometimes they are long, sometimes short. I usually grow them long until one breaks then I cut and file the rest down to match. I like wearing pinks, peachy beige, clear, white, and shimmery polish sometimes. I've never had acrylic or gel nails, or nail art. Right now my fingernails are natural with no polish and I have a pale pink/peach polish on my toenails. I like the look of some nail art. I really like the black and white "make a wish" nail art in Wyrd's post. Flowers/roses are also beautiful.

Elizabeth
Wednesday, December 19th, 2018, 12:52 PM
http://www.womentriangle.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/15-Cute-Dandelion-Nail-Art-Ideas-And-Tutorials-700x400.jpg

I like the black & white "make a wish and blow" nail design on the left side of this ^ photo. :)