PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Dog Breed Do You Recommend?

ProEuropa
Wednesday, June 7th, 2017, 11:39 PM
I'm interested in raising a dog, that is suited for life on the countryside. The ideal is a guard dog, capable of scaring and fending of potential trespassers, while being capable of being around small children.

I'm not very experienced with dogs, only have a few relatives who have ones, so any help is appreciated.

Mrs vonTrep
Thursday, June 8th, 2017, 03:33 AM
Dogue de Bordeaux. Big but not too big, very calm and quiet but barks when there's a good reason for it. Very much a guard dog that stays close to home (good yard dog). Stable temperament (unlike the german shepard stock in Sweden), short hair that doesn't require any maintenance, a massive gorgeous head and yellow eyes that will scare people away just by lookinng at it.

It's a very impressive breed, so calm and mellow and very, very patient with kids and adults. You can do anything to them and they just take it, never any aggression or the like against people they know.

Downside: they drool after they had food and/or water (our DDBs eat and drink outdoors and have their lips cleaned when they come inside, that way we never have any issues with the drool). Stubborn at times, like most dogs of "bull" breeds.

Definitely recommend!

SpearBrave
Thursday, June 8th, 2017, 03:42 AM
I can't think of time when there was not a dog in my life. I raised and trained hunting dogs for years and for what you are wanting I would not recommend any popular hunting breeds, most of them are just too nice in most cases.

There was one breed that was really good and protective of children and family that I always liked. The are called Blue Healers, they are from Australia, but have become real popular here in America, at least for rural people. They do many of the things you are looking for. They are known for their bite more than their bark. In fact I don't think they bark much at all.

Keep in mind dogs are pack animals and you have to bring them into your pack so they will help protect what they see as their pack. Never hit a dog, it degrades them and makes them cower, all dogs that you own can be spoken to and are very empathetic and will understand your meaning by your voice tone or hand gestures. They are also territorial and often will protect what they view as their or their packs territory.

I usually tend to prefer female over males for working and hunting breeds. This is just a personal preference with no backing other than my opinion. Though the dog that lives with now is a male and he is 16 though I don't know what he would do if someone attacked me, he is too friendly for a guard dog. The only time I seen him growl was the only time he seen a negroe. That was back in 2012 and a poop skin came to the house campaigning for obama, he growled very low and assumed his attack mode with hairs bristling. As far as I know he has never barked either, though he does try and talk sort of by howling in a way.

Good Luck

ProEuropa
Thursday, June 8th, 2017, 04:59 PM
Looked up both breeds and am considering both of them. My brother owns a female Landseer, which is quite affectionate towards people that are obvious friends of the family, while she has been known to run after trespassers. Never bit anyone tough.

Nepenthe
Saturday, June 10th, 2017, 03:49 AM
I am not familiar with many breeds, but we always had Dobermans when we were very young and throughout my childhood...always from a rescue. They were wonderfully affectionate around family, oftentimes very silly--but also territorial and protective. They also grinned a lot when greeting us. I haven't had a dog in my life since my teens, but can't imagine not having a Dobe when the time comes again.

Dun Holm
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 01:57 AM
I know I know what you're probably going to think. That's a vicious terrible dog. But I assure you it is not. Get an American Pit Bull Terrier. They are very tolerant and excellent with children and in most cases just the sight of them is enough to deter someone from entering your house. They are extremely loyal and very eager to please you.

Dun Holm
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 02:00 AM
My mom has always had Dobermans and they are definitely a good candidate for a guard dog.

Herr Rentz
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 11:49 AM
Not being very experienced with dogs, you will need as much training as the dog will. Be prepared to take training classes with the dog. It's as much about training you as training the dog.

I would not recommend a working breed to a beginner with no experience, but with proper training for both of you it could work.

I've been raising and training German ShepHERD Dogs for 30 years now. They are an excellent family dog if you are willing to commit to their training and care. I emphasize the training part. They need and want this training and need to be in a structured and regimented environment to thrive and be happy in their home with their people.

https://i.imgur.com/4ME48Ja.jpg

Drusilla
Monday, August 27th, 2018, 03:04 PM
German Shepherd. They are good guard dogs and gentle with kids.

Herr Rentz
Monday, August 27th, 2018, 03:14 PM
I'm interested in raising a dog, that is suited for life on the countryside. The ideal is a guard dog, capable of scaring and fending of potential trespassers, while being capable of being around small children.

I'm not very experienced with dogs, only have a few relatives who have ones, so any help is appreciated.

On which breed of dog have you decided?

Wulfram
Monday, August 27th, 2018, 03:34 PM
There are a few I could recommend but lately I've been quite impressed with the Boerboel. The fun starts at 1:03.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mVSOGOiyHkY

LillyCaterina
Monday, August 27th, 2018, 03:35 PM
I had a Doberman when I was married to my first husband. She was the runt of the litter.

You have to be careful with Doberman's. They would like to think they run the show. And will if you let them.

Her name was Lady. Actually they wanted three names because she was full-blooded.

I took her the vet to be checked out, and asked the vet how to train this breed of dog. He told me to keep a thin limb handy wrapped in newspaper, because they can snap at you unpredictably. I thought that was a little harsh, until she snapped at me. One time and she never did it again. :)

Sadly, Lady succumbed to heartworms. :(

I would only recommend Dobermans to experienced dog owners.

Herr Rentz
Monday, August 27th, 2018, 06:21 PM
Trifexis would have prevented that.

LillyCaterina
Monday, August 27th, 2018, 06:48 PM
Trifexis would have prevented that.

But only if I had been aware of this parasitic affliction.