PDA

View Full Version : Sun or Moon: Which One Do You Prefer?

Hellenic Eagle
Thursday, November 18th, 2004, 09:40 PM
The Sun or the Moon?

PlanDreaM
Monday, May 30th, 2005, 07:33 AM
The Sun for its power and glory,the moon for its clarity and death

Theudanaz
Monday, May 30th, 2005, 08:14 AM
The Sun will always be the ruler, and not only of the heavens, though the moon may have more sway on the earth, it is also from the earth, and its glory is only a weak reflection of the sun. That is not to say one should be preferred to the other, but that each should be thanked in its own period of the day.

nordic_canadian_male
Monday, May 30th, 2005, 05:01 PM
The moon, for the countless times it's observers have received courage and hope from it's deep light.

There have been many times in my life where the simple act of me starring at the moon on a clear night has helped me go the extra distance. The solitude presented by the moon helps the humon soul resolve conflict and prepare for life's battles. My accomplishments have been very insignificant but, I'm sure the greatest humans had similar experiences.

The sun awakes you and fills you with energy and vigour but the moon can change your preception of life.

Huzar
Monday, May 30th, 2005, 06:48 PM
The sun. Its strenght, its eternity, its life.

QuietWind
Monday, May 30th, 2005, 08:11 PM
The Moon.

Ederico
Monday, May 30th, 2005, 09:51 PM
The Moon, I love the night and the inspiration it gives me, especially in summer on a beach under the full moon. It is a poetic, natural, and spiritual experience. At night under the light of the moon I feel free, the Sun enslaves through its heat (I live in the Mediterrenean, the Sun is terrible, especially now that summer approaches).

Mjölnir
Monday, May 30th, 2005, 09:57 PM
I prefer the Moon... Ohhh what a fear of the DARK!

M.,:uriel

Huzar
Monday, May 30th, 2005, 10:56 PM
HMM............many prefer the moon and in consequence the night. Other ,included me, the sun. But about my preference, i must be more exact : the sun "beat" the moon of a small distance. To be more serious, i haven't a clear preference for one of the two; imo, both the manifestation of the nature have contributed to inspire poetry, litrature, but more important to influence the most deep part of the human soul through for thousands of years, since the first man, through every phase of his development.............

I remember an old university lesson about the two cultural components at the basis of the western world; the two psycologic trends "spirits" of the western soul : the "Apollinean spirit" (the sun) carachterized by the love for the day, a solar state of mind, no contraddictions, no fear, rectitude and pure perfection, like the greek god who gives the name. In opposition the "Dyonisiac spirit",(the moon) the exact opposite : passion, intrigue, night, savage freedom(different from the Apollinean logic freedom),the domain of senses and our instinct. In reality their opposition exists only in appearence ; both are doomed to cohesist forever, cause are complementar . Therefore in last analysis, i suspend the judment. I love both, and both are necessary to my soul, in the same intensity.

Telperion
Monday, May 30th, 2005, 10:56 PM
I find the Sun tends to lead one's mind towards focusing on the here and now, while the Moon (and stars) tend to stimulate one's imagination. My own bias leans toward the Moon, though only mildly so.

Jack
Tuesday, May 31st, 2005, 03:42 AM
Um. I'm not a heathen in the ordinary sense, but I say the moon.

Ederico
Friday, June 24th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Um. I'm not a heathen in the ordinary sense, but I say the moon.

Me neither.

By the way Anarch, haven't heard from you in ages, send me a PM so I can give you my MSN address if you like.

Jack
Friday, June 24th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Sure thing.

Konstas
Saturday, June 25th, 2005, 12:32 AM
I "need" them both, some times I feel very romantic under the moon or the sunset.
To looking the Sun from a forest is fantastic.
Full Luna with clouds aroud is great too.
But I prefer the Sun because of my metaphycical viewpoints.

GreenHeart
Tuesday, October 18th, 2005, 11:34 PM
The sun has much more power.

maskedhate
Wednesday, October 19th, 2005, 01:50 AM
The Sun, obiously.
The moonlight is given by the sun. so that light is originally from the sun

Víđálfr
Tuesday, June 9th, 2009, 08:32 PM
The Sun, definitely!

I am a MoonChild, as the Moon is the master of my birth sign, but I'm in love with the Sun, with it's golden rays, with it's blue sky and with it's amazing beauty!

The Sun, the origin of life, without it we would be cold and dead. But I don't like hot weather and I avoid too much exposure to the Sun, as I hate when my skin is being burnt and darkened by the Sun. I prefer the Sun of the winter, the Sun of the Winter solstice, which is 'new-born' and comes back to give us life. Also the Sun of the spring, which literally gives life.

I love the light of the Sun, and if the Sun didn't existed, how could we see the Moon in the nights? The nights are so beautiful because of the Sun. The Sun is responsible for letting us see the beautiful full Moon in the nights with a clear or not totally cloudy sky.

The Moon looks like a little 'sister' of the Earth, they are both made from the same material, so it's close enough to be able to repeat that I am a MoonChild.

The Moon and the Sun... obviously linked one to each other, but as a MoonChild I'm in love with the Sun! :D

In other terms... the Sun is more powerful and it is the origin of life. I also think about it's symbolism, to which I'm also in love, no need to mention just a few of the symbols representing the Sun.

Wulfram
Tuesday, June 9th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I prefer a full moon, affording enough "night vision" to allow for very long walks in the country, places that are usually too dark to move around in otherwise.
Having grown up in Texas I must say that I am not too big a fan of the sun, which get the temperatures around here deadly hot. I dont hate it, I just get too much of it.

Something I have always enjoyed seeing is when both the sun and the moon are in the sky at the same time.

Víđálfr
Tuesday, June 9th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Something I have always enjoyed seeing is when both the sun and the moon are in the sky at the same time.

That's a nice scene, indeed! :thumbup

Reich des Waldes
Tuesday, June 9th, 2009, 11:09 PM
The sun. From a philosophical perspective I feel it represents man, or rather what man should be. The sun is absolute power. It gives life but in some circumstances it can be oppressive and only takes away. It holds the planets in order and gives them light similar to how man creates order around him and presents new ideas to further growth. The eternal presence of the sun is reflective to me of the internal drive of the will in man. While we may not always be able to see the sun directly, we can see it's light being reflected from the moon; perhaps unable to see the greatness in ourselves at times, we can see the potential for greatness reflected in others.

Waldstein
Tuesday, June 9th, 2009, 11:16 PM
The sun, of course.
The moon has no light from itself but steals everything from the sun, merely reflecting the light received from the latter.

However, both have their indispensable function in the cosmos.

Freigeistige
Wednesday, June 10th, 2009, 03:21 AM
I prefer the sun, as it actually has a purpose, unlike the moon, which is a useless satellite. The sun brings us life.

Reich des Waldes
Wednesday, June 10th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I prefer the sun, as it actually has a purpose, unlike the moon, which is a useless satellite. The sun brings us life.

Earth's ocean tides are initiated by the tidal force (a gradient in intensity) of Moon's gravity and are magnified by a host of effects in Earth's oceans. The gravitational tidal force arises because the side of Earth facing the Moon (nearest it) is attracted more strongly by the Moon's gravity than is the center of the Earth and—even less so—the Earth's far side. The gravitational tide stretches the Earth's oceans into an ellipse with the Earth in the center. The effect takes the form of two bulges—elevated sea level relative to the Earth; one nearest the Moon and one farthest from it. Since these two bulges rotate around the Earth once a day as it spins on its axis, ocean water is continuously rushing towards the ever-moving bulges. The effects of the two bulges and the massive ocean currents chasing them are magnified by an interplay of other effects; namely frictional coupling of water to Earth's rotation through the ocean floors, inertia of water's movement, ocean basins that get shallower near land, and oscillations between different ocean basins. The magnifying effect is a bit like water sloshing high up the sloped end of a bathtub after a relatively small disturbance of one's body in the deep part of the tub.

Gravitational coupling between the Moon and the ocean bulge nearest the Moon affects its orbit. The Earth rotates on its axis in the very same direction, and roughly 27 times faster, than the Moon orbits the Earth. Thus, frictional coupling between the sea floors and ocean waters, as well as water's inertia, drags the peak of the near-Moon tidal bulge slightly forward of the imaginary line connecting the centers of the Earth and Moon. From the Moon's perspective, the center of mass of the near-Moon tidal bulge is perpetually slightly ahead of the point about which it is orbiting. Precisely the opposite effect occurs with the bulge farthest from the Moon; it lags behind the imaginary line. However it is 12,756 km farther away and has slightly less gravitational coupling to the Moon. Consequently, the Moon is constantly being gravitationally attracted forward in its orbit about the Earth. This gravitational coupling drains kinetic energy and angular momentum from the Earth's rotation (see also, Day and Leap second). In turn, angular momentum is added to the Moon's orbit, which lifts the Moon into a higher orbit with a longer period. The effect on the Moon's orbital radius is a small one, just 0.10 ppb/year, but results in a measurable 3.82 cm annual increase in the Earth-Moon distance.[55] Cumulatively, this effect becomes ever more significant over time; since astronauts first landed on the Moon approximately 40 years ago, it is 1.52 metres farther away.

;)

einherjarNZ
Wednesday, June 10th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Undoubtedly this will come across as esoteric Himmlerism. :D

I was born on June 21 which in the Southern Hemisphere is the Winter Solstice. Shortest day/longest night of the year.

Growing up I used to drive my poor mother mad as I would never sleep at night. Always up and about. My mother would occasionally refer to me as the wolf-boy who spends all night howling at the moon. Just for the record I don't really howl at the moon. Lol.

Interestingly, most of my working career has been involved in roles where I can work at night opposed to regular working hours.

So I guess I have always had an affinity with the night which most people would relate to the moon.

Both the sun and moon serve a purpose in life. However I believe that the true source of life is represented by the hidden sun. The schwarze sonne or black sun. It is my contention that the hidden sun hides in the night sky. I say this due to an unusual lunar occurence I have witnessed on occasion, whereby the moon is not visible in the night sky, but instead a massive black circular hole in the night sky appears, many times larger than the moon, and on the edge of the circle is an edge of light. Outside of this edge of light are the usual night stars, but inside the ring it is void of anything. I am sure it is a natural phenomenen with suitable scietific explanation, however when viewing this it reminded me of a black sun in the night sky.

In Norse mythology, Hati Hróđvitnisson is a wolf that according to Gylfaginning chases the Moon across the night sky, just as the wolf Sköll chases the Sun during the day, until the time of Ragnarök when they will swallow these heavenly bodies, after which Fenrir will break free from his bonds and kill Odin.

In the wolves consuming both the sun and moon this will reveal the true source of life, the hidden sun.

Much is made of the image of the wolf howling at the full moon at night. I prefer the image of the wolf howling at the black sun at night.

Therefore I choose neither. ;)

ladybright
Wednesday, June 10th, 2009, 04:40 AM
I love to see it in the sky. It reminds me of renewal, that this too shall pass. I reminds me of the menstrual cycle and milk. It was my visualization during childbirth. I was born at 11:00 pm with a waining gibbous moon.

If I am in the woods the sun does not bother me so much but I get heat-sick and sunburn easily if in full sun. I appreciate the sun more than I like it. It is absolutely necessary for life as we know it.

SpearBrave
Wednesday, June 10th, 2009, 05:33 AM
I love the Sun on a cold winter day with no wind and lots of snow. I also like it when the Moon and the Sun share the sky.