PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Doing for Sigrblöt?

Firebeard
Wednesday, April 12th, 2017, 02:38 PM
As most of you probably know, sigrblöt, a celebration for the coming summer and victory in your actions, is this Saturday, April 15th. It is a time of feasting and a time of sacrifice to Odin. I was wondering what other heathens are planning on doing this sigrblöt.

As for me, a fellow kindred and I are going into a large wooded area near his house. We're planning on starting a fire and camping out for a couple of hours. Maybe cooking some chicken over the fire and bringing snacks(and Guinness). When the time feels right I'm going to reciete some verse that I think suits the occasion, drink a Guinness, then poor the other one into the ground. My friend will probably do the same. Then whenever we feel that the time is right, we could put out the fire and leave. I'm really looking forward to it, it's my first blót.

So what are your experiences with sigrblöt or if any of you are celebrating this Saturday? Tell me about your experiences :)

Elizabeth
Thursday, April 13th, 2017, 12:45 AM
I never heard of Sigrblot before. I also never tried Guinness (I know it's a beer, I don't like beer). I wouldn't want to go camping. I'd worry about salmonella poisoning and cross-contamination from handling raw chicken. Please make sure the fire is fully put out before you leave. I hope you have a nice time celebrating sigrblot. I prefer being indoors.

Elessar
Thursday, April 13th, 2017, 01:27 AM
What you just described sounds devoid of any semblance of sanctity, and I'm going to be straight with you when I say that it fulfills all the negative stereotypes that Europeans have about American Heathens. I was once heathen and I would have never really told anyone about rituals that I conducted, usually because they were very personal to me and had significance to what I was experiencing at the time. I certainly would never have just picked a spot to cook some chicken with a bud and drink Guiness and "pour the one onto the ground".

Catterick
Thursday, April 13th, 2017, 01:30 AM
What you just described sounds devoid of any semblance of sanctity, and I'm going to be straight with you when I say that it fulfills all the negative stereotypes that Europeans have about American Heathens. I was once heathen and I would have never really told anyone about rituals that I conducted, usually because they were very personal to me and had significance to what I was experiencing at the time. I certainly would never have just picked a spot to cook some chicken with a bud and drink Guiness and "pour the one onto the ground".

Well people can be solemn about Christmas yet have fun at the same time. Of course most Christianity is larping, anyways.

Firebeard
Thursday, April 13th, 2017, 03:02 AM

How do European heathens celebrate then?

I don't really have the means or the people to hold a feast. I am actually quite looking forward to it. There's nothing to do in Florida and believe it or not camping out in the woods for a couple of hours isn't really something that you can do very easily.

I'm reciting verse in Odin's honor, I'm drinking to his name. I'll probably venerate some of my ancestors that are dead and ask for success in the coming months.
It seems decent enough...