PDA

View Full Version : Where Did You First Learn About the Germanic Concept?

aamed
Friday, June 20th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Where did you first learn about the Germanic concept?

Dagna
Friday, June 20th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I first learned about the Germanics historically, from books. My first was Tacitus's Germania. The Althing was the first Germanic forum I joined and I already had my ideology formed before I encountered it here.

Siebenbürgerin
Friday, June 20th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Hmm, before I must ask, how do you define the Germanic "concept"? I heard about Germanics from history classes, of course, and from books I read from the library. About preservation, if you mean that, it was passed down by my parents. To my family it was just something natural to preserve what generations passed down to us.

Allenson
Friday, June 20th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Hmmm, probably years ago in shcool when learning about Indo-European and the various branches therein--including the Germanic.

So, my first introduction to this sort of concept was through linguistics.

aamed
Friday, June 20th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Yes, we all learned about Germanics in school, but schools do not teach the Germanic concept as something which people consider as a significant aspect of their personal identity.

One can divide things up in many ways. There is the Nordish concept, the Western European concept, etc.

Lyfing
Saturday, June 21st, 2008, 02:54 AM
I first read about it in Mein Kampf at around fourteen. I reckon I just started responding to the supernormal sign stimuli of our species as life became a searching of self. It's like awesome ideas become you as you look at them.

(This vague question seems to find definition with it's answer.;))

Later,
-Lyfing

Gorm the Old
Saturday, June 21st, 2008, 03:23 AM
I'm not sure that I have yet. Define "Germanic concept", please. :confused:

Heiliger Tod
Saturday, June 21st, 2008, 09:35 PM
I don't fully understand like several of the other posters.

Basically I got an interest in the myths and history from listening to Bathory's more Viking themed albums, then started reading about it.

I then became aware of traditionalism and Asatru as well as buying books like Tyr and reading various articles and here I am!

Janus
Saturday, June 21st, 2008, 10:26 PM
What do you mean with Germanic concept? I have no idea actually.

If you mean an interest in our own Germanic ancestry I blame it on my general curiousity for almost everything. I remember we even learned about the ancient Germanic tribes and their culture in 6th grade at school and we also had to learn to write in runes.

SwordOfTheVistula
Sunday, June 22nd, 2008, 08:11 AM
First heard the concept of 'Germanic' in school, as relates to languages. I noticed it generally aligned with the Protestant nations, and then from there began to explore cultural significances.

Beornulf
Sunday, June 22nd, 2008, 10:27 AM
As long as I can remember really, from a young age I knew where I was from and which people I belonged to. I had a great interest in Norse and Celtic mythology from a young age.

I remember identifying Anglo-Saxon traits in myself before I even knew what the term actually meant. Funnily enough I've also always found myself at odds with my surroundings and felt I was born in the wrong time.

I can't really remember when or through what it was introduced to me, just that it is something that was always there through blood.

Rik
Sunday, June 22nd, 2008, 02:45 PM
I learned about by myself , by just asking myself the question : where do I come from ?
I remember watching a documentary about the Migration Period Germanics when I was 7.
I didn't understand about what the people where talking in the documentary , but I just 'felt' that I was descended from those people they where clearly talking about. But since I could not read maps at the time and I didn't know anything of the tribes , I thought I was a mix of the various tribes described (Goths , Burgunds , Franks , Vandals , Jutes , Danes , Swedes..).