PDA

View Full Version : Valentine's Day: Cultural Celebration or Commercial Holiday?

sciath
Friday, February 13th, 2004, 06:16 PM
St Valentine's day = infantilism + venality !!
Pouah ! I hate that :D :D

Taras Bulba
Friday, February 13th, 2004, 06:17 PM
St. Valentines Day has become an abomination to the real St. Valentines.

sciath
Friday, February 13th, 2004, 06:24 PM
All these guys queueing at the flower shop hoping to be given a reward at night :P :P this is pitifull!! :~(

Milesian
Friday, February 13th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Still, at least Hallmark and Interflora make a fortune out of the emotional blackmail involved ;)

sciath
Friday, February 13th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Still, at least Hallmark and Interflora make a fortune out of the emotional blackmail involved ;)

and vases are good to throw the morning after ! :D

Taras Bulba
Friday, February 13th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Yeah women are the only ones who benifet from this consumerist BS. Since is it that only the man has to express his affection for his love by buying her gifts and shit. You'd think a simple "I love you" would count. But I guess women have become too much of gold-diggers to ever simply accept that.

Scáthach
Friday, February 13th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Valentines Day is useless indeed. That said, I intend to take full advantage of it!

sciath
Friday, February 13th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Valentines Day is useless indeed. That said, I intend to take full advantage of it!

I read somewhere that "don't be greedy" was a classic or irish education !!:D :D Nil mé ach magadh fuit !! ;)

Scoob
Friday, February 13th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Valentine's Day is one of the few holidays that I think is good: it's a celebration of the human spirit, in particular: Love. I think it's great :D It's a holiday in honor of Cupid/Eros and Venus/Aphrodite.

Other holidays I like a lot are Halloween and New Years. They are pure fun. They are American versions of the Mediterranean Carnival (although at different time of year) - masked festivel - all in honor of Dionysus.

Christmas has become a consumerist nightmare - Americans around November-December (Thanksgiving/New Years) become depressed and stressed.

sciath
Friday, February 13th, 2004, 11:16 PM
[QUOTE=Scoob]Valentine's Day is one of the few holidays that I think is good: it's a celebration of the human spirit, in particular: Love. I think it's great :D It's a holiday in honor of Cupid/Eros and Venus/Aphrodite.

The best way to kill love is to link it exclusively to Cupid/Eros and Venus/Aphrodite. My experience !! :D

Taras Bulba
Monday, February 16th, 2004, 04:56 PM
scoob, I do believe St. Valentines Day is supposed to honor St. Valentines, a Christian; not a celebration of paganism.

Taras Bulba
Monday, February 16th, 2004, 04:57 PM

*sigh* Typical hypocrisy on the part of women. OY! My respect for you whores has dropped to a new low. :D

Scáthach
Monday, February 16th, 2004, 09:45 PM
...but who had the more fun on the day in question?

Taras Bulba
Monday, February 16th, 2004, 10:07 PM
...but who had the more fun on the day in question?

Probally you. Nothing special happened on my Valentines Day. Plus since when you self-centered women ever give presents to anybody for any occasion! :D

rusalka
Monday, February 16th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Yeah women are the only ones who benifet from this consumerist BS. Since is it that only the man has to express his affection for his love by buying her gifts and shit. You'd think a simple "I love you" would count. But I guess women have become too much of gold-diggers to ever simply accept that.
Well, that's what you think. I was the one to have bought my boyfriend a gift this year and received none. Did I complain? No. But he's finishing up my project now. :) In any case I usually prefer buying gifts to receiving them. What's really exciting is to see the person's expression when he/she opens the package.

Taras Bulba
Tuesday, February 17th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Well, that's what you think. I was the one to have bought my boyfriend a gift this year and received none. Did I complain? No. But he's finishing up my project now. :) In any case I usually prefer buying gifts to receiving them. What's really exciting is to see the person's expression when he/she opens the package.
Well Rusalka, first off your profile saids you're Slavic, so that can explain something. But mostly I think you're just the exception that proves the rule! :D

Phill
Tuesday, February 17th, 2004, 09:52 PM

Generally, I see that this is for the most part true... But there are more women than you'd think that will hand out valentine's and the such. At least, there is around this area. *shrugs*

Siebenbürgerin
Sunday, February 14th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I'm curious if Valentine's Day exists in your country and if you celebrate it. Is it part of your national culture or was it an imported custom? For me it's the latter, like Halloween and other holidays which were adopted from the outside.

Gardisten
Sunday, February 14th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Valentine was a Christian martyr.

Sigurd
Sunday, February 14th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Valentine was a Christian martyr.

Valentine was the name of not one, but of several early Christians later declared as martyr; which of the three martyrs named Valentine, is I believe, still unclear. ;)

Whether or not this is a reason to celebrate his memory, I will leave up to the individual. If a Christian feels close to that saint and so chooses that he wishes to honour that saint, who am I to forbid him that.

About the question as to whether Valentine's Day has anything to do with St. Valentine, apart from the date, I am sorry to disappoint you - there is no actual indication that St. Valentine was a patron of lovers. :shrug

That instead appears to be a younger tradition, the first myths we now know about St. Valentine are first mentioned for the 14th century. One would assume that with the family being the supposed core unit of Christianity, earlier writers would have made mention of such myths.

Instead, it is quite the other way around: A 14th century French manuscript makes no mention of Valentine being a patron of lovers, in fact it is not until the 18th century that we have conclusive proof of it being a holiday of affection.

Aside from this, it has been suggested that the date was specifically chosen to supersede a pre-Christian Roman holiday dedicated to health and fertility (Lupercalia).

triedandtru
Sunday, February 14th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I'm curious if Valentine's Day exists in your country and if you celebrate it. Is it part of your national culture or was it an imported custom? For me it's the latter, like Halloween and other holidays which were adopted from the outside.

Valentine's Day definitely exists in America, and in it's most commercial form. My boyfriend and I do celebrate, but not in the conventional sense. We just take a day to celebrate our love.

SpearBrave
Sunday, February 14th, 2010, 05:08 PM

People do celebrate Valentine's here, I choose not to. To me it is a overly commercial made up holiday. I might like it better if it was a excuse for people to gather and have a good time like a feast with friends or something along those lines.

I like Halloween just for the fact it is a chance for people to have bonfires and cookouts. Plus I like to carve pumpkins.

Valentine's day has gotten out of hand. It used to be a card, flowers, box of chocolate, or maybe a diner was fine. Now people are buying large gifts cars, vacations, and expensive jewelry. I have heard people say" what are you getting you kids for Valentine's day" . IMO they will get nothing and like it.;)

To me there is no need for such a day. I give my woman flowers on a regular basis, We have cut down on eating chocolate and I take her out to dinner and dancing when she wants. (btw I don't like the dancing part but it makes her happy that I try) Besides she would much rather I take her hiking or to a museum than have some Valentine's day dinner and gifts.;)

Haereticus
Sunday, February 14th, 2010, 05:20 PM
It's just commercial hype and nonsense. Fortunately my wife agrees. We don't need some tacky cards or gaudy mementos once a year to celebrate what we celebrate every day.

Gardisten
Sunday, February 14th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Valentine was the name of not one, but of several early Christians later declared as martyr; which of the three martyrs named Valentine, is I believe, still unclear. ;)

"Valentine was a Christian martyr" is a non-specific statement which could apply to any of the Valentines, but there's really only one that is relevant.

Whatever the case, I don't place much significance in it from a secular or religious perspective. As a Christian, I view the persecution of the early Christians as fundamentally important and worth remembering and respecting; but the idolatrous manner in which the Catholic church regards these martyrs, and the cheapified & hedonistic holiday that his legacy has become is simply absurd.

Ediruc
Saturday, February 20th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I know I'm a bit late, but I would if I had anyone to celebrate it with (i.e. a significant other) :(

frippardthree
Saturday, February 20th, 2010, 07:38 AM
To me, Valentines' Day is no different than any other day.:|

Northern Paladin
Monday, February 14th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I'm going to do some solitary reading after I take a good long walk with my dog. Sad, but true.

Nachtengel
Monday, February 14th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Like any other day, between work, being with my child, surfing the web, talking to friends etc... This day doesn't have a special meaning to me. It's more of an American thing, the way I see it.

DerWeißeWehrwolf
Monday, February 14th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I'm going to do some solitary reading after I take a good long walk with my dog. Sad, but true.

I was hunting for new job earlier, I have to write two 10 page papers for school, study for 3 exams and no warmth from a woman's touch tonight. This Valentine's Day sucks..

Northern Paladin
Monday, February 14th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I was hunting for new job earlier, I have to write two 10 page papers for school, study for 3 exams and no warmth from a woman's touch tonight. This Valentine's Day sucks..

Sounds like fun.

I honestly think this holliday sucks, either way, because even if you have a girlfriend/boyfriend you are forced to do something for them. It is all forced. Who here thinks that love should just be left alone? If you are really in love you don't need a special day to remind you of it, because if you are in love every day is a "Valentines day" :D

DerWeißeWehrwolf
Monday, February 14th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Sounds like fun.

I honestly think this holliday sucks, either way, because even if you have a girlfriend/boyfriend you are forced to do something for them. It is all forced. Who here thinks that love should just be left alone? If you are in love you don't need this sort of thing because every day is a "Valentines day" :D

I believe love should be left alone, and that it is also nice to do something for your significant other more than once a year.

Hesse
Monday, February 14th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I pretty much live it as any other normal day.

Northern Paladin
Monday, February 14th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Valentines Day is just an excuse to sell flowers, chocolates, and condoms.

Hersir
Monday, February 14th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Studying, I have a test tommorow. Just had a normal day, had to make dinner for myself etc.

I think it's more special to do something for your significant other when you are not "forced" to do it.

Here is alittle math for you all: polar plot 2 - 2 sin t + sin t sqrt (abs(cos t))/(sin t + 1.4)

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=polar+plot+2+-+2+sin+t+%2B+sin+t+sqrt+(abs(cos+t))/(sin+t+%2B+1.4)

Sigurd
Monday, February 14th, 2011, 11:45 PM
I spent mine playing through Mystery Case Files V: Return to Ravenhearst again, which very ironically plays on a backdrop of unrequited love. Was fairly slow this time though, took me more than ten hours. :P

That being said, even when I'm in a relationship around that time of year, it's not a day I celebrate. I recall what I said to one of my Exes: "Honey - we're not going for dinner on the 14th. We're either going on the 13th or 15th --- One, it's going to seem like I can only take my woman out for that day. Two, we're not going to get a table. Three, it's not particularly romantic with hundreds of other couples all over each other; I want ours to be special." ;)

Last week I was sitting at home considering whether I'd be more prepared to celebrate the tongue-in-cheek 'Singles Awareness Day' which falls on February 15th this year; however upon some deliberation I decided being Single is just a state, and thus neither a reason to feel glum nor a reason to feel happy: It's just as is, times of not having a relationship but instead being in a process of self-finding are natural. :)

Thorolf
Tuesday, February 15th, 2011, 12:23 AM
hmm I don't celebrate the day. I am just going to hang out with some friends. We will probably go down to mcdonalds and get some food. I would ask out one of the workers there, but sadly she is already taken.

SpearBrave
Tuesday, February 15th, 2011, 12:37 AM
I am spending the evening on Skadi Forums and she is reading a book. We did however give the dogs extra treats but not because of Valentine's day it was that they played us for fools and begged from both of us at different times.:P

Ralf
Tuesday, February 15th, 2011, 01:33 AM
Alone.

Thusnelda
Tuesday, February 15th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Well, I don´t care about the Valentine´s Day anymore. :| When you are in a serious relationship it can be a very wonderful day (and it was a wonderful day in the recent years for me), but it feels empty when you´re alone. But I think the media pressure plays a large role in it, people are nearly ordered to make this day a special day.

Ocko
Tuesday, February 15th, 2011, 03:46 PM
To celebrate the feminine is not a bad idea. Though I do think there are better ways.

Ælfrun
Tuesday, February 15th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Drinking vodka^^

GroeneWolf
Tuesday, February 15th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Did no others things then I would do on a normal Monday, except for a visit to the doctor for a minor thing.

Þoreiðar
Tuesday, February 15th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Painted a ceiling.

Alice
Monday, January 14th, 2019, 06:36 PM

Valentine's Day exists in the country I currently live in, and its popularity seems to be growing. However, the emphasis seems to be more on friendship, and the name used translates to something like "Friendship Day." I grew up in the United States, though, and my memories of the holiday are associated more with the Valentine's Day cards and Brach Conversation Hearts we exchanged in grade school. But retailers love the holiday for obvious reasons. I recently saw a Consumer Spending Survey that said over 50 percent of consumers spend an average of around 150 USD (!) on apparel, candy, flowers and jewelry for Valentine's Day, which is criminal in my opinion. :-O

Ravenrune
Monday, January 14th, 2019, 06:48 PM
I don't like Valentine's Day. It has the aire of making people who are single feel neglected and alone. It probably also makes couples feel obligated to buy flowers, candy, cards and whatever other imposed ideas when they should just express their feelings without a "day" being needed.

Christmas has it's annoying aspect too with all the pressure to buy gifts. If you are poor, then Christmas can become a big negative when you compare your financial poorness to everyone buying tons of gifts!

All the advertising and marketing about "holidays" is getting more and more annoying. It's only January here and already they started putting out Easter chocolate bunnies and eggs?! Really?!

-----------------
To get back to Valentine's Day .... now I find it even more negative because of my (previously covered-up and never told) knowledge of the outrageous destruction of Dresden during this time in 1945.

schwab
Monday, January 14th, 2019, 07:09 PM
I don't like Valentine's Day. It has the aire of making people who are single feel neglected and alone. It probably also makes couples feel obligated to buy flowers, candy, cards and whatever other imposed ideas when they should just express their feelings without a "day" being needed.

Christmas has it's annoying aspect too with all the pressure to buy gifts. If you are poor, then Christmas can become a big negative when you compare your financial poorness to everyone buying tons of gifts!

All the advertising and marketing about "holidays" is getting more and more annoying. It's only January here and already they started putting out Easter chocolate bunnies and eggs?! Really?!

-----------------
To get back to Valentine's Day .... now I find it even more negative because of my (previously covered-up and never told) knowledge of the outrageous destruction of Dresden during this time in 1945.

What's Valentine's day? It is nothing more than a commercial holiday.
In your marriage, it should be Valentine's day every day.
I had a brother in law that kept showering his wife with flowers and gifts all year long while fighting everyday about nonsense. It was hell on earth at times. I kept far away from them.....

Gareth Lee Hunter
Monday, January 14th, 2019, 07:43 PM
My mother passed away on Valentines Day 2010 of stomach cancer. :(

Yes. Recognized holidays are spoiled by materialism. No doubt about it. It's all about economics, just like practically everything else in this money loving world.

Anyway, just because she likes to do it, without feeling obligated, Lilly gives me a sweet card and a chocolate heart on Valentines Day. And when she looks up at me with this radiant smile and holds her little arms out to me for a hug, I truly appreciate the gesture. :heartso

However, I will be more thoughtful about presenting Lilly with cards and gifts while she is performing her duties at work. The last time I did this another young lady I know, who just lost her boyfriend, observed our moment of tenderness, started sobbing and made an excuse to leave work early. I certainly did not intend for this to happen.

Víðálfr
Tuesday, January 15th, 2019, 01:45 AM
Well, I'm not sure about Norway, but I'll find out!

About my country of origin... there is another celebration of love in February, called Dragobete, which is authentic and part of the old local tradition. It regained it's popularity in the last couple of years also thanks to the commercial Valentine's Day... Some people there tend to celebrate both... and there's also an increase lately in trying to promote the local, traditional celebration instead of the imported one.

Personally in my country of origin I didn't care too much about the imported Valentine's Day, but I was celebrating Dragobete. Valentine's Day, as some sources say, tends to be related either to some Christians, or to the Roman celebrations of Lupercalia, and personally I don't have anything to do with any of them (as I have Geto-Dacian ancestry, not Roman one)... So I have no reason to celebrate Valentine's Day there, as long as there is a local, much older and much more beautiful Geto-Dacian tradition, Dragobete.

I really like the old tradition of Dragobete... :D Dragobete is a heathen god, similar to Eros and Cupidon, and in some parts of the country there still is the saying related to the celebration of Dragobete, "Dragobete is kissing the girls!". Like for all old heathen customs, the date of the celebration may vary from one region of the country to another, so it could have been either the 24th or 28th of February, or even the 1st or 25th of March. But nowadays almost everyone considers the date for Dragobete as the 24th of February. Like both Eros and Cupidon, Dragobete is a god of Love, very handsome and loving, who wanders through the woods and kisses the girls.

Dragobete is also a Nature celebration, like all old heathen celebrations, being related to the rhythms of Nature. On this day the birds gather, pair themselves one to another, and start to build nests in which they will raise their offspring. It is said that the birds who don't find their pair on Dragobete will remain single, unpaired, until the next Dragobete, the one of the following year. Especially on this date, women are very careful to feed the birds, both the domestic birds and the wild birds, because the birds are also considered to be the messengers of the Sky.

Like the birds who pair on Dragobete, the boys and the girls follow the same tradition to gather and celebrate Dragobete, in order to be in love for the whole year to come. It is considered that kissing on the day of Dragobete is of good augury (see the old saying "Dragobete is kissing the girls!"), so the girls are more likely to let themselves kissed by the boys they like on this day. Especially if the weather is fine, the boys and the girls are dressing with nice celebration clothes, gathering in groups and going to the meadows and forests singing, telling one another lovely words, and also picking the first flowers of spring. At noon each girl is running back to the village, letting herself to be caught only by the one that she likes the most, who is kissing her and that kiss symbolizes their union of love for the whole year to come.

The god Dragobete is also called The fiance of the birds, because the birds are pairing on his date of celebration, and other animals and the human beings are following the same example. So, Dragobete is considered a beneficial date to bind engagements, and also to bind brotherhoods and sisterhoods.

Since ancient times, Dragobete is a holy day, a day of celebration. Even the old people are celebrating it, cleaning and arranging their houses for this day, in order to have good health all the year to come. Animal sacrifice is also forbidden on this date.

Over all, Dragobete is a celebration of spring and revival, and a good time to fall in love and to get engaged or to bind brotherhoods and sisterhoods, as the whole Nature is synchronizing itself with that as well, with the birds and animals pairing themselves too.

So... Dragobete is not only for those who already have a pair, but also for those who don't have one and for whom it is a great moment to find new love...

Here is alittle math for you all: polar plot 2 - 2 sin t + sin t sqrt (abs(cos t))/(sin t + 1.4)

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=polar+plot+2+-+2+sin+t+%2B+sin+t+sqrt+(abs(cos+t))/(sin+t+%2B+1.4)
Awwww, how cute! :D

Hehe, some are already thinking of Ostara celebrations... :P

schwab
Tuesday, January 15th, 2019, 02:30 AM
Cultural celebration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Milan designers send signal with feminine touch on menswear

MILAN (AP) — Milan menswear designers are sending clear signals for next fall and winter: Feminine touches are not only acceptable, they are necessary.
During three days of Milan Fashion Week previews focused on menswear, collections featured shiny and sheer textiles, sequined garments, lace and scoop necks.
The trend to feminize the male wardrobe could be interpreted as encouragement for getting in touch with a female side or as an explicit sign of solidarity after a year when the sexual harassment and assault of women became a global theme.......
rest on link...........
https://apnews.com/62ed11fe32484a0b9d7f1b43ae2828d1

Hey all you guys, put on your nylons.........and your J or G-strings.........whatever you call it........
Any pictures yet? It might help your Valentine's day...........

SpearBrave
Tuesday, January 15th, 2019, 05:51 AM
What's Valentine's day? It is nothing more than a commercial holiday.
In your marriage, it should be Valentine's day every day.

Agreed, its a silly holiday.

Fire spirit
Tuesday, January 15th, 2019, 02:06 PM
It's now commericial and makes shop keepers so happy.

A long time ago it meant something to individuals, and was celebrated with just couples who were in love, or seen as a time to think of romance. Besides this, Valentines Day has altered from the last couple of thousand years, when it used to be in celebration of a wolf named Lupercus. The history behind it is more complex.
Now it's another day and an excuse to chocolate binge.