PDA

View Full Version : What Is Your IQ?

Northern Paladin
Wednesday, July 21st, 2004, 08:54 AM
What is your IQ?
I've taken two tests one came out 127 the other 132.

Esther_Helena
Wednesday, July 21st, 2004, 09:15 AM
what are the tests you have taken, and are they available online?

Johannes de León
Wednesday, July 21st, 2004, 09:19 AM
I've taken one online where i got 143 if my mind don't betray me.
But i've done some more, written ones, and the results were always around 130/132. So, I think the written ones are more reliable.

Johannes de León
Wednesday, July 21st, 2004, 09:21 AM
what are the tests you have taken, and are they available online? You can do some here: http://www.highiqsociety.org/

Do the Test for Exceptional Intelligence. It's really hard, consider yourself a exceptional intelligent if you can finish it. :D

Siegfried
Wednesday, July 21st, 2004, 09:25 AM
I've taken a whole bunch of online IQ-tests, but I doubt many of them were reliable. Results ranged 130-145, and most anything in between.
I voted 131-140, which can be nothing more than a crude guess considering the doubtful accuracy of the consulted tests.

JoeDas
Wednesday, July 21st, 2004, 11:04 AM
The average IQ is supposed to be 100, but I've never, not once, heard a single person say that they received a score below 120 on the Online IQ Tests, which means one of two things: Either the Online Tests are B.S. or many of the people who claim to be getting incredible scores are liars ... it's simply a logical impossibility that everyone who takes the test is so exceptionally intelligent that they score in the 130s and 140s ... it reminds me of an episode of "King of the Hill" I saw where Peggy takes a phony IQ test; this test tells everyone who takes it that they are geniuses and that they should join the "society of geniuses" or some such group, and she ends up getting scammed out of money by the con-men who made the test. I tend to think a similiar situation is going on with these Online IQ Tests. Think about it, why would they be advertising on every Website to get you to take their Test? You mean to tell me they're putting out substantial capital to advertise their tests just because they want you to know what your IQ is? It doesn't take a genius to see through this scheme!

Awar
Wednesday, July 21st, 2004, 12:22 PM
I was tested at MENSA, with a real, proper test, and I got a certain result.
I remember there being more than one IQ scale, perhaps this is where the problem is.

What JoeDas said about these online tests makes perfect sense,
I'd also add that in a real test, the time should be limited.

Telperion
Wednesday, July 21st, 2004, 04:39 PM
I had my IQ tested by an educational psychologist when I was 8 years old, and had it tested scientifically again more recently. My recent IQ score was 6 points lower than the old one, which I believe is outside the range of measurement error, and implies an actual if marginal decline in the 'real' IQ score.

I can only infer from this that alcohol really does kill one's brain cells. :)

Phlegethon
Wednesday, July 21st, 2004, 05:06 PM
Scores differ from test to test, depending on how much the different parts (logic, systematic thinking, literacy, maths, knowledge) are weighed.

Even taking the same test twice can yield different results, depending on you daily performance.

As scores also differ from age group to age group it is not really possible to score a constant IQ score over a period of more than a decade.

Telperion
Wednesday, July 21st, 2004, 05:37 PM
As scores also differ from age group to age group it is not really possible to score a constant IQ score over a period of more than a decade.
Right, I had forgotten that the scores differ by age group, but that is of course correct.

Scratch my previous comments about alcohol then. Clearly, it does no harm to one's intellectual development. ;)

Esther_Helena
Wednesday, July 21st, 2004, 06:38 PM
Having the attention span of a mayfly on crack doesn't help either. Online ones take me forever, I do about 5 questions, then get up and wander around my home. Timed ones, forget it. Oh and on that high iq society doowhippy. I got 106 on culture fair, I BSed 75% of it because I didn't give a crap. I did manage to pay attention on the verbal, got 130 on that. So perhaps attention span has something to do with scores as well?

Angelcynn Beorn
Wednesday, July 21st, 2004, 11:43 PM
Ive taken 3 tests in my life, none of them very scientific. First test was done at home using an IQ test paper and timing myself when i was about 15, which gave me an IQ of 135. Ive also done 2 online tests, one of them from the international high IQ society sited above, and scored 140 and 132 respectively.

Tore
Thursday, July 22nd, 2004, 12:25 AM
I had my IQ tested by an educational psychologist when I was 8 years old, and had it tested scientifically again more recently. My recent IQ score was 6 points lower than the old one, which I believe is outside the range of measurement error, and implies an actual if marginal decline in the 'real' IQ score.

I wouldn't worry too greatly about it.

All participating groups in the study below experienced regression to their respective means by age 17.

Minnesota Transracial Adoption Study

Age 7

Biological White 116.4
Adopted White 117.6
Adopted Interracial 109.5
Adopted Black 95.4

Age 17

Biological White 109.4
Adopted White 105.6
Adopted Interracial 98.5
Adopted Black 89.4

White mean IQ of North Central United States 106
Black mean IQ of North Central United States 90

Utilitarianism
Thursday, July 22nd, 2004, 07:04 AM
The average IQ is supposed to be 100, but I've never, not once, heard a single person say that they received a score below 120 on the Online IQ Tests, which means one of two things: Either the Online Tests are B.S. or many of the people who claim to be getting incredible scores are liars ... I think a little of both plus the individuals scoring low aren't proud to say so.

I subscribe to the multible intelligence theory. No one would think of creating a test that was supposed to measure general physical ability. You have to isolate the talent and not attempt throw them all into a single test.

What is the IQ of a savant that is a genius in one field and a retard in another? 100?

JoeDas
Thursday, July 22nd, 2004, 07:10 AM
What is the IQ of a savant that is a genius in one field and a retard in another? 100?Or to put it another way, who are the real geniuses: Michael Jordan and Larry Bird, or Albert Einstein and Niels Bohr? Roald Amundsen or Stephen Hawking? Jerry Seinfeld or Werner von Braun? Do you see what I'm saying here?

Telperion
Thursday, July 22nd, 2004, 07:16 AM
I wouldn't worry too greatly about it.

I don't, since just about everyone I know appears to have deterioriated at least as much as I have. :|

Tore
Thursday, July 22nd, 2004, 08:44 AM
I subscribe to the multible intelligence theory. No one would think of creating a test that was supposed to measure general physical ability. You have to isolate the talent and not attempt throw them all into a single test.

Your analogy is invalid as one's physical ability is determined by the cumulative ability of various skills which are fundamentally different from one another and generated in different areas of the body.

For example, physical ability can be divided into the three lesser abilities of strength (dictated by testosterone levels and ability to put on muscle), speed(reflected by fast twitch/slow twitch muscle ratio), and coordination (controlled by the cerebellum and other regions of the brain), which fail to correlate with one another as the body must act differently when implementing each function.

By contrast, cognitive processes are relegated to specific areas of the brain (namely the cerebral cortex), and function in a highly similar matter.

From this, it should come as no surprise that tests designed to assess different mental abilities (i.e. multiple intelligences) correlate significantly with one another (in the area of .50-.70), thus suggesting the prevalence of a single, unitary intelligence (g in other words).