PDA

View Full Version : Time Travel

Dr. Solar Wolff
Wednesday, January 21st, 2004, 06:13 AM
Recently, a man has claimed to have traveled back from the year 2036 and posted some of his life and times on the internet. This site is an attempt to edit those postings:

www.johntitor.com

The traveler, John, gives some technical details and theory concering his time machine and also some pictures and technical diagrams. He predicted, in 2002, that Mad Cow would be a big problem and that civil war would break out in the USA in 2004, after the elections and lasts ten years. He also discusses global nuclear war in 2015---Russia nukes the cities of the USA in support of John's side!!!

If this is a window into the future or just science fiction, it is written in a haunting manner which is fascinating to read.

Vojvoda
Thursday, January 22nd, 2004, 12:51 AM
"You(John Titor) appear to be a Libertarian who stresses the need for mankind to get back to basics. You also seem to be a gun rights activist."

John Titor is Njord Eriksson! :-O :rofl

Interesting read nontheless,Thanks :)

Awar
Thursday, January 22nd, 2004, 01:14 AM
I've read the entire site, and it's most interesting.
Since some of my girlfriend's expertise in psychology has rubbed-off on me ( we do a lot of it :D ) I've come to the knowledge that paranoid people often construct the most (in)credible conspiracy theories, weird tales etc. the more high-IQ the man is, the more solid his construct is.

Nevertheless most of it is very interesting and describes the future events in a similar way to what I speculate will happen in the near future.

@Vojvoda:
Josip Broz Titor :D

Vojvoda
Thursday, January 22nd, 2004, 03:09 AM
@Vojvoda:
Josip Broz Titor :D

:lmao

Check out this link about this Titor dude :D

http://completewasteoftime.blogs.com/weblog/2003/09/john_titor_time.html

Descendant
Friday, January 23rd, 2004, 05:49 AM
Titor: project of aspiring science fiction writer. Pretty good stuff if you ask me :)

Awar
Friday, January 23rd, 2004, 05:59 AM
Agreed, great stuff.
Could be made into a great novel, and a bad hollywood movie starring Ben Affleck :)

Descendant
Thursday, January 29th, 2004, 01:00 AM
Agreed, great stuff.
Could be made into a great novel, and a bad hollywood movie starring Ben Affleck :)
LOL, why oh why do good sci-fi movies only come once or twice a decade?
And when TV and film try to do time travel...oh don't get me started....:)

Vojvoda
Thursday, January 29th, 2004, 01:04 AM

:throwupThe Time Machine (http://timemachine.countingdown.com/)

Awar
Thursday, January 29th, 2004, 06:46 AM

Truly sad. I've been following a movie site about upcoming films, which are still in production, and all I can say is that every sci-fi film that shows promise gets canned in the pre-production phase, and every piece of shit like Daredevil or Godzilla gets released.

Krautwurst
Monday, February 2nd, 2004, 09:58 PM

Well, being an Astrophysicist and aspiring Mejtaphysical Philosopher, I find these theories and stories interesting. Alsol, with my experience in Drama, and study of films, there is a bit of extra interest with them.
There is one show that doesn't quite do the time travel bit (okay, 2 shows) but does do the Sci-Fi thing quite well. A shock, really, considering it is Alan Dean Anderson (McGiver (sp?))!!! LOL. The acting, writing, directing are fairly well done, and greater than a B+ as far as Sci-Fi TV shows go. (I guess I'm doing a plug for the show ????) But I guess what is going on here is that the show is much more about the characters and thier 'team' and how they grow as a team and as individuals.... (Yes, thier are bad-guy Aliens, but no weak attempts to really describe thier tech - it works, and the only 'Science' mumbjo-jumbo is stuff that I remember discussing in my 500+ level courses). Get past the aliens, and you may enjoy the show!

As for the cause of the thread, yes, I agree, probably a sad individual who feels very alone and incompatent with his life. Some paranoid-schizophrenic delusions mixed in, of course, whether he woke up one day and made himself believe this, or it was just a 'flash of inspirational truth'.

Blutwölfin
Tuesday, May 24th, 2005, 08:58 AM
For budding time travellers, the future (or should that be the past?) is starting to look bleak.

Hypothetical tunnels called wormholes once looked like the best bet for constructing a real time machine.

These cosmic shortcuts, which link one point in the Universe to another, are favoured by science fiction writers as a means both of explaining time travel and of circumventing the limitations imposed by the speed of light.

The concept of wormholes will be familiar to anyone who has watched the TV programmes Farscape, Stargate SG1 and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

The opening sequence of the BBC's new Doctor Who series shows the Tardis hurtling through a "vortex" that suspiciously resembles a wormhole - although the Doctor's preferred method of travel is not explained in detail.

But the idea of building these so-called traversable wormholes is looking increasingly shaky, according to two new scientific analyses.

Remote connection

A common analogy used to visualise these phenomena involves marking two holes at opposite ends of a sheet of paper, to represent distant points in the Universe. One can then bend the paper over so that the two remote points are positioned on top of each other.

If it were possible to contort space-time in this way, a person might step through a wormhole and emerge at a remote time or distant location.

The person would pass through a region of the wormhole called the throat, which flares out on either side.

According to one idea, a wormhole could be kept open by filling its throat, or the region around it, with an ingredient called exotic matter.

This is strange stuff indeed, and explaining it requires scientists to look beyond the laws of classical physics to the world of quantum mechanics.

Exotic matter is repelled, rather than attracted, by gravity and is said to have negative energy - meaning it has even less than empty space.

Law breaker

But according to a new study by Stephen Hsu and Roman Buniy, of the University of Oregon, US, this method of building a traversable wormhole may be fatally flawed. In a paper published on the arXiv pre-print server, the authors looked at a kind of wormhole in which the space-time "tube" shows only weak deviations from the laws of classical physics.

These "semi-classical" wormholes are the most desirable type for time travel because they potentially allow travellers to predict where and when they would emerge.

Wormholes entirely governed by the laws of quantum mechanics, on the other hand, would likely transport their payloads to an undesired time and place.

Calculations by the Oregon researchers show a wormhole that combines exotic matter with semi-classical space-time would be fundamentally unstable.

This result relies in part on a previous paper in which Hsu and Buniy argued that systems which violate a physical principle known as the null energy condition become unstable.

"We aren't saying you can't build a wormhole. But the ones you would like to build - the predictable ones where you can say Mr Spock will land in New York at 2pm on this day - those look like they will fall apart," Dr Hsu said.

Tight squeeze

A separate study by Chris Fewster, of the University of York, UK, and Thomas Roman, of Central Connecticut State University, US, takes a different approach to tackling the question of wormholes.

Amongst other things, their analysis deals with the proposal that wormhole throats could be kept open using arbitrarily small amounts of exotic matter.

Fewster and Roman calculated that, even if it were possible to build such a wormhole, its throat would probably be too small for time travel.

It might - in theory - be possible to carefully fine-tune the geometry of the wormhole so that the wormhole throat became big enough for a person to fit through, says Fewster.

But building a wormhole with a throat radius big enough to just fit a proton would require fine-tuning to within one part in 10 to the power of 30. A human-sized wormhole would require fine-tuning to within one part in 10 to the power of 60.

"Frankly no engineer is going to be able to do that," said the York researcher.

The authors are currently preparing a manuscript for publication.

Supporting view

However, there is still support for the idea of traversable wormholes in the scientific community. One physicist told BBC News they could see problems with Hsu's and Buniy's conclusions.

"Violations of the null energy condition are known to occur in a number of situations. And their argument would prohibit any violation of it," they commented.

"If that's true, then don't worry about Hawking radiation from a black hole; the entire black hole vacuum becomes unstable."

The underlying physics was not in doubt, the researcher argued. The real challenge was in explaining how to engineer wormholes big enough to be of practical use.

Cambridge astrophysicist Stephen Hawking is amongst those researchers who have pondered the question of wormholes.

In the 1980s, he argued that something fundamental in the laws of physics would prevent wormholes being used for time travel. This idea forms the basis of Hawking's Chronology Protection Conjecture.

Source: BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4564477.stm)

The Horned God
Tuesday, May 24th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Interesting article.

What seems most incredable to me is not whether or not it might be possible to go back to the past but rather the idea that there actually is a past to go back to.

Stig NHF
Thursday, May 26th, 2005, 07:03 AM
This is very interesting!

Death and the Sun
Thursday, May 26th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Well, if time travel were possible, we would already have gotten visitors from the future. ;)

TisaAnne
Thursday, May 26th, 2005, 07:43 AM
I think the whole idea of time travel is rather frightening and uncomfortable... why must we travel ahead, or behind, anyway? :scratch: As much time/money as people spend, (or waste, IMO), on researching these types of phenomena it seems as if there could be more improvements made toward our present situation. It is good to think on the past... to learn from it's triumphs and defeats, but to go back in time? For what... hindsight? Perhaps I'm old-fashinoned, but this type of thinking hurts my brain. :bier:

The concept of wormholes will be familiar to anyone who has watched the TV programmes Farscape, Stargate SG1 and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. See what I mean? This type of science belongs in sci-fi novels and nerd-endorsed tv series'... (And yes, I am one of those nerds... :D I watch, religiously, Star Trek: Voyager re-runs every night at 10pm and I am still not sold on this whole wormhole business)

Aragorn
Wednesday, June 8th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Time traveling, even imaging if it really would be possibly... What than? Imagine you have found a way which would make time traveling reality, what would you do?
To what historical period would you go? if possible, what historical event would you try to change or to prevent? Would you choose to stay in the past, or go back to the future? :scratch

Mjölnir
Wednesday, June 8th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Back to the day where Jesus died... I will face him so i can belive;):thumbup

M.,

Huzar
Wednesday, June 8th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Time traveling, even imaging if it really would be possibly... What than? Imagine you have found a way which would make time traveling reality, what would you do?
To what historical period would you go? if possible, what historical event would you try to change or to prevent? Would you choose to stay in the past, or go back to the future? :scratch

Very good Agnar : your thread is simple but original..........early, you'll see all skadites saying everything;) about the thing.

Well, i don' want to live in the past, not for a long time at least (at max some weeks in a particular age). Therefore i would be a traveler.
Nah, i'll say nothing about what i'd like to change cause the thread could develop in an endless and wrong direction i imagine...............

Anyway i have a list of places and ages of all eras :

Twentieth century :

1)Sixties/Seventies 1967-1975 less or more

2)thirties/forties 1935-1943

3) early years 1910 and around

Eighteen century :

1)Victorian age (and british empire) 1885- 1900

2) old west era 1860 - 1870

3)Napoleonic Era/French revolution : 1790- 1810

Seventienth century :

1) "Barry Lyndon" age - 1750 and around

2) carebbean pirates - 1700-1710 less or more

Sixtienth century :

1) Louis XIV court - 1685- 1695

2) "iron mask"/ "30 years war" age - 1630-1650 less or more

I'll say after my choices for centuries before 1600......................

cltncblondeagle
Wednesday, June 8th, 2005, 08:30 PM
I would say for me either antie bellum south or the south when Jim Crow laws were in effect. Thoes were the last times I can think of that white women were truely great and appreciated in America.

QuietWind
Wednesday, June 8th, 2005, 09:08 PM
I would say for me either antie bellum south or the south when Jim Crow laws were in effect. Thoes were the last times I can think of that white women were truely great and appreciated in America.
Well, I am not a southerner at heart, but those large old homes, and those frilly full dresses are definitely a plus. :)

cltncblondeagle
Wednesday, June 8th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Well, I am not a southerner at heart, but those large old homes, and those frilly full dresses are definitely a plus. :)

Yeah they were sister. Scarlett is my hero here. My favorite line from the movie was said by Mammy, "Like must be with like in order for there to be happiness."

Nordraserei
Thursday, June 9th, 2005, 02:38 AM
I see you've found your way to Skadi.

Yeah they were sister. Scarlett is my hero here. My favorite line from the movie was said by Mammy, "Like must be with like in order for there to be happiness."

cltncblondeagle
Thursday, June 9th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Yeah thanks to sis I have.

Wissen ist Macht
Thursday, June 9th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Very interesting topic! :)

I think that something inside me would make me go back into a certain period of German (and world) history of the 20th century.

Problem: Everything we change in the past will in some way influence the present and the future.

What if I happen to become the boyfriend of Geli Raubal, she does no commit suicide and in 2050 we will have the Galactic Third Reich Empire? :D

(sounds cool :-O )

Krissi
Friday, June 10th, 2005, 12:19 AM
I guess I would go to the future and check out my grandchildren and their chidren and so on. If I'd see any little mongrels I'd go back to were I started and raise my children better.

Jehan
Friday, June 10th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Well, there would be a lot of things to do.

-Go stop the french revolution.

-Stop by Vienna and listen to the first presentation of Beethoven's 9th:D. Jump around screaming the themes for the next month.

-Kick the arse of the english in New France. If this fails, go stab in the head everyone who voted no at Quebec's independance referendum in 1980. With a plastic fork. If this fails, repeat the operation in 1995. And be very mad I actually have to go do it myself. This was really easy job, I don't know how they managed to screw it up. Ah well.

-Head to Bayreuth. Listen to Wagner's Das Ring Der Nibelungen. Be delighted.

-Go tell America they don't have anything to do in Europe in 1942. Hope they listen.

-Oh yeah. Bach. St John's Passion. Be in a state of total religious awe for the next week.

-Undo whatever caused the fact that everyone in my(yours too, probably) country is a liberal hippie-minded weakling. For some reason, I suspect the french revolution.

-I almost forgot. Meet William Byrd and Thomas Tallis.

Obviously, this list isn't complete. It's bugging me. Yes, I like to type very small sentences.

Polaris
Saturday, June 11th, 2005, 01:26 AM
Ancient Greece, to see the Parthenon. :D

Aragorn
Wednesday, June 15th, 2005, 12:17 AM
I believe its only fair that I also will put down my points:
If going back to the past, I would choose probably several historical events.

1: I go back to the ancient time, to see if Atlantis really truelly have existed.
2: I would join Alexander the great in his conquest of Persia
3: Back to the days of Jesus, to see what is right
4: Join the Germanic tribes which destroyed Rome
5: Join the Saxonians to fight Charlemagne
6: go on an expedition of the proud vikings
7: Take part in the crusades
8: Join Columbus on his journey to the New World
9: Fight against the Spaniards during the 80th war
10: Go to Prussia to meet Frederic the great
11: Take part in the American revolution
12: Take part in the resistance against Napoleon and try to kill him
13: Try to prevent the Belgian revolution in 1830
14: During the french-German war of 1870 to make sure germany will annex also luxemburg and the German-populated parts of Austria-Hongary
15: Fight as a volunteer with my bloodbrothers against the English at the Boer war
16: join German troops during World War 1
17: prevent the German revolution of 1918
18: Join the SS and fight the bolsheviks

most inspiring characters to meet:

Theodorik, Friedrich Barbarossa, Martin Luther, Jan van Riebeeck, Frederic the great, Immanuel Kant, Goethe, Schiller, Bismarck, Kaiser Wilhelm II, Adolf Hitler, Heinrich Himmler, Anton Mussert.

But, most of all, I would try to go back to the past with some nuclear bombs, and give the knowledge and power in the hand of the third reich. The Fuehrer will be able to defeat the Russians and force the British and Americans to make a peace treaty. As an result, pax Germania becomes the most powerfull nation in the world, the issues of multi-culturism wont even exist, and the Germanic man will be the ruler of Europe. Flanders would be free of the Francophones, Dunkirk, Kales and Bonen would again be Germanic citys, there wont be no Kaliningrad or Wroclaw, or Gdansk, but only German justice and German rightness. Stalin would be hanged as a war criminal, and at the Nurenberg trials there would be the real war criminals: Eisenhower, Arthur Harris, Zhukov, Truman, De Gaulle...

Blutwölfin
Sunday, June 19th, 2005, 12:59 AM
New model 'permits time travel'
If you went back in time and met your teenage parents, you could not split them up and prevent your birth - even if you wanted to, a new quantum model has stated.

Researchers speculate that time travel can occur within a kind of feedback loop where backwards movement is possible, but only in a way that is "complementary" to the present.

In other words, you can pop back in time and have a look around, but you cannot do anything that will alter the present you left behind.

The new model, which uses the laws of quantum mechanics, gets rid of the famous paradox surrounding time travel.

Paradox explained

Although the laws of physics seem to permit temporal gymnastics, the concept is laden with uncomfortable contradictions.

The main headache stems from the idea that if you went back in time you could, theoretically, do something to change the present; and that possibility messes up the whole theory of time travel.

Clearly, the present never is changed by mischievous time-travellers: people don't suddenly fade into the ether because a rerun of events has prevented their births - that much is obvious.

So either time travel is not possible, or something is actually acting to prevent any backward movement from changing the present.

For most of us, the former option might seem most likely, but Einstein's general theory of relativity leads some physicists to suspect the latter.

According to Einstein, space-time can curve back on itself, theoretically allowing travellers to double back and meet younger versions of themselves.

And now a team of physicists from the US and Austria says this situation can only be the case if there are physical constraints acting to protect the present from changes in the past.

Weird laws

The researchers say these constraints exist because of the weird laws of quantum mechanics even though, traditionally, they don't account for a backwards movement in time.

Quantum behaviour is governed by probabilities. Before something has actually been observed, there are a number of possibilities regarding its state. But once its state has been measured those possibilities shrink to one - uncertainty is eliminated.

So, if you know the present, you cannot change it. If, for example, you know your father is alive today, the laws of the quantum universe state that there is no possibility of him being killed in the past.

It is as if, in some strange way, the present takes account of all the possible routes back into the past and, because your father is certainly alive, none of the routes back can possibly lead to his death.

"Quantum mechanics distinguishes between something that might happen and something that did happen," Professor Dan Greenberger, of the City University of New York, US, told the BBC News website.

"If we don't know your father is alive right now - if there is only a 90% chance that he is alive right now, then there is a chance that you can go back and kill him.

"But if you know he is alive, there is no chance you can kill him."

In other words, even if you take a trip back in time with the specific intention of killing your father, so long as you know he is happily sitting in his chair when you leave him in the present, you can be sure that something will prevent you from murdering him in the past. It is as if it has already happened.

"You go back to kill your father, but you'd arrive after he'd left the room, you wouldn't find him, or you'd change your mind," said Professor Greenberger.

"You wouldn't be able to kill him because the very fact that he is alive today is going to conspire against you so that you'll never end up taking that path leads you to killing him."

Source: BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4097258.stm)

Agrippa
Sunday, June 19th, 2005, 01:14 AM
Sometimes scientists sound somewhat between romantic and naive. ^^

What about the "multidimension" model in which more than one ways are open to the future...some times ago I saw a docu about that idea. ;)

Dr. Solar Wolff
Sunday, June 19th, 2005, 06:22 AM
"I will win the War of Time"--A.H.

Agrippa, an alleged time-traveler, calling himself John Titor (can use John Titor or Jon Titor as search words) claimed that in the near future time travel becomes possible but controlled by the US Army. He says that at each point in time an infinite number of alternate "time lines" occur. His machine has, he claims, a high probability of finding a correct or similar time-line. He say you can go back and meet your parents, he says he did, and even meet yourself which he also claims to have done. He explained the machine as about the size of a large desk (plans on one site) in which two singularities (little black holes) bent time through gravitational-vortex-implosion interaction. He would return home from a mission back in time and sometimes find little differences such as a sport's team had won when it had lost in his original time-line. As with almost everything else, forget Einstein. It is all real world Quantum Physics according to John. I don't know whether to believe John or not but the Germans were doing experiments in time during the 3rd Reich and they must have had something practical in mind.

anti-climacus
Thursday, August 11th, 2005, 08:59 AM
1. Christ's resurrection

2. the beginning of time

3. any ancient civilization (egyptian, phoenician, persian, greek, roman, viking, celtic)

4. hear beethoven's ninth in mainz

5. take the following with me to have a glorious dinner in the mountains north of padua; oswald mosley, nietzsche, kierkegaard, octavius augustus, alexander the great, hitler, tolkien, russell kirk, w.f. buckley, charlemagne, barbarossa, king richard, jesus, st. patrick, alexander hamilton, thomas jefferson, dante, ezra pound, etc

Josep Conrad
Thursday, August 11th, 2005, 10:19 AM
- Be a Roman soldier and take part in a cruxifiction.:)

- Be a Norse ravaging a hamlet on the British shores.;)

- Be a Crusade torching Muslims.
:(
Fight for Catalonia in X, XI, XII, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI, XVII, XVIII, XIX ,XX,and XXI wars and civil wars agains Spain, France and its alies.:D

And a secret, intimate desire be an "Almogaver". It is a pity neither of you could never be it.:~(

ChrisDownUnder
Thursday, August 11th, 2005, 01:50 PM
- Sarajevo, June 28th, 1914. I could hopefully prevent the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand. This would stop Austria-Hungary declaring war on Serbia, and hopefully prevent WWI, which saw the death of 10 million white men. Consequently there would be no WWII, which was basically a continuation of the First World War.

- Washington, April 14th, 1865. Prevent the assassination of Abraham Lincoln by John Wilkes Booth. Hopefully Lincoln would bring about the resettlement of freed negro slaves back to Africa, or the Caribbean.

- Roswell, New Mexico, July 2nd, 1947. Take a video camera to record UFO’s (if there were any).

- Travel back approx. 60 million years, to see the dinosaurs. :)

Requiem
Wednesday, October 5th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Bringing this up again, wouldn't 'splitting up your parents' have exactly the same significance as moving a particle of dirt? It seems like you wouldn't be able to do anything, unless you could disturb nothing at all, which seems quite impossible since you wouldn't be allowed to breathe.

nicholas
Wednesday, October 5th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Bringing this up again, wouldn't 'splitting up your parents' have exactly the same significance as moving a particle of dirt? It seems like you wouldn't be able to do anything, unless you could disturb nothing at all, which seems quite impossible since you wouldn't be allowed to breathe.

I would think that doing that would create an alternate universe in which you aren't born. Course it begs the question of whether or not you'd have to travel back in time to before you killed them in order to get back to the universe in which you were born.

For a long time many forgot to take into account that each choice you make creates an alternate universe and one cannot travel back in time and make changes without accepting the fact these alternate universes exist. I know for a fact these alternate universes exist, I have seen them in visions during my spiritual practices (no drugs involved). These worlds exist on various sub-atomic frequencies which humans have yet to discover.

nicholas
Wednesday, October 5th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Sometimes scientists sound somewhat between romantic and naive. ^^

What about the "multidimension" model in which more than one ways are open to the future...some times ago I saw a docu about that idea. ;)

Scientists are funny...they can't figure something out so they say its impossible.:jeer :jeer

Gorm the Old
Wednesday, October 5th, 2005, 04:17 PM
As the past leads to the present, it cannot be changed. What has happened has happened. It is immutable. Yet even travelling into the past to look around changes the past because YOU WEREN'T THERE. Time travel must, inevitably, change the immutable past. This is a logical contradiction. Therefore, time travel is impossible. Theoretical models can be devised in which the impossible is possible. What the theoreticians forget is that nature is not obliged to conform to their mathematical models. They are mere academic exercises.

Dr. Solar Wolff
Saturday, October 22nd, 2005, 04:49 AM
As the past leads to the present, it cannot be changed. What has happened has happened. It is immutable. Yet even travelling into the past to look around changes the past because YOU WEREN'T THERE. Time travel must, inevitably, change the immutable past. This is a logical contradiction. Therefore, time travel is impossible. Theoretical models can be devised in which the impossible is possible. What the theoreticians forget is that nature is not obliged to conform to their mathematical models. They are mere academic exercises.

The way John Titor explains this is that at each instant there are an infinite number to time lines emerging which in turn branch off in the next instant, leading to countless pasts and futures. He claims his machine allows him to return to the past time-line he wants on a percentage basis. This may mean he is not returning to his past but a similar past which for his purposes is close enough. He says that alternate but close time lines produce different baseball results and minor changes such as this but big timeline differences produce larger changes and these changes continue to increase as one moves through time.

Variner
Monday, October 24th, 2005, 05:46 PM

Going back so far into the past when primal hominids appeared on earth. Then watching their evolution until, let's say, the Middle Ages and so uncover everything that has been wrapped in mystery. Unfortunately those times then became boring to me and I had to find another favourite topic :( .

The most interesting historical event ever to me has been the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest in 9 A.D. To watch them Germanics while defeating the Romans would make me feel pleased.

GreenHeart
Monday, October 24th, 2005, 09:45 PM
I would like to go back in time to see where Atlantis was, to see the pyramids in Egypt and the Megaliths in Europe being built, and go back to the pagan Germania and Scandinavia to see how they worshipped the gods! :thumbup

I also think it would be interesting in more recent times to go to Germany when Hitler was rising to power and stay until 1945 or so, so experience those times.

But there are many many more things I would love to see, and the above adventures would lead me to go to other times and places to learn other mysteries.

Cole Nidray
Tuesday, October 25th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Back to the day where Jesus died... I will face him so i can belive;):thumbup

M.,
Bring this polaroid so you know which one is him, :thumbup

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/5476/jewsuess7wy.jpg

Weg
Tuesday, October 25th, 2005, 02:47 AM
- Roswell, New Mexico, July 2nd, 1947. Take a video camera to record UFO’s (if there were any).
You've wasted a travel through time for nothing. :D

1: I go back to the ancient time, to see if Atlantis really truelly have existed.
2: I would join Alexander the great in his conquest of Persia
3: Back to the days of Jesus, to see what is right
4: Join the Germanic tribes which destroyed Rome
5: Join the Saxonians to fight Charlemagne
6: go on an expedition of the proud vikings
7: Take part in the crusades
8: Join Columbus on his journey to the New World
9: Fight against the Spaniards during the 80th war
10: Go to Prussia to meet Frederic the great
11: Take part in the American revolution
12: Take part in the resistance against Napoleon and try to kill him
13: Try to prevent the Belgian revolution in 1830
14: During the french-German war of 1870 to make sure germany will annex also luxemburg and the German-populated parts of Austria-Hongary
15: Fight as a volunteer with my bloodbrothers against the English at the Boer war
16: join German troops during World War 1
17: prevent the German revolution of 1918
18: Join the SS and fight the bolsheviks
Impressive list. Don't tell me. You don't want to return, that's it? :P

1) Louis XIV court - 1685- 1695
Hehe, nice choices KULL. Especially this one. It was the time. :thumbup

Interesting choices. One comment : my impression is that European males are pretty bored by our modern era.

For my part, my will has always been to go back to the time of the Gallic wars. I keep wondering what Gaul would have been if Romans had lost. But of course, there are many other things I would like to see in the past.

Gorm the Old
Tuesday, October 25th, 2005, 08:55 PM
1. Strangle Mohammed in his cradle.
2. Go to Mexico and Central America in the 16th century and arm the natives with modern firearms.

Variner
Wednesday, October 26th, 2005, 12:12 AM
2. Go to Mexico and Central America in the 16th century and arm the natives with modern firearms.

Why not the North American natives too ;) ???

Frans_Jozef
Friday, December 23rd, 2005, 09:57 AM
“Mind-reading” study finds memories are like mental time travel

World Science (http://www.world-science.net/othernews/051222_mentaltravelfrm.htm)

Humans may dredge up memories by recreating the pattern of brain activity that occurred when a remembered event first happened, some scientists believe. The psychologist Endel Tulving has called the process “mental time travel.”

Now, researchers have found that we do much of this time traveling before the memory actually “resurfaces” to parts of the brain in which we can talk about it.

Sean Polyn of Pennsylvania State University in University Park, Penn., and colleagues analyzed brain scans from people who looked at pictures of celebrities such as Bruce Lee and Halle Berry, famous places like the Taj Mahal and everyday objects such as tweezers. The participants were later asked to recall as many of the photos as possible.

The researchers found that brain activity patterns associated with each picture reinstated themselves seconds before the people talked about them.

The scientists were even able to do a little “mind-reading,” they added, by guessing whether the people were going to remember a celebrity, place or object from the reestablished brain pattern.

The findings are published in the Dec. 23 edition of the research journal Science. The authors wrote that their technique is “...a powerful new tool that researchers can use to test and refine theories of how people mine the recesses of the past.”

The mind-reading capabilities of brain scanning technologies have been improving, scientists say. A study (http://www.world-science.net/othernews/050424_mindreadfrm.htm) published last April found that when people were shown simple patterns of stripes tilted in different directions, a computer could analyze their brain activity to figure out which pattern they were looking at.

Gorm the Old
Friday, December 23rd, 2005, 11:57 PM
The title promises more than the article gives.

Frans_Jozef
Friday, March 24th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Open discussions on Time Travel and the Many Worlds/Parallel universes Theory:

http://timetravelportal.com/

nicholas
Friday, March 24th, 2006, 05:03 PM
That's a great forum. But I am wondering how to make it practical for the average person. One question I have is if its possible to travel through time through visualization and meditation and thus change the past?

Ever see the movie Butterfly Effect?

That's not the best example of what I'm trying to say, but condsidering that past responses to past situations are what create the personality, could one theoretically visualize going back in time to change ones response and in essence reformat ones psyche/personality for the better?
How many visualizations would it require? What would be possible consequences of it? Would it be easy to keep the change as long as one continued to act according to the new personality? Could one also destroy faulty thought patterns and negative emotions through this type of visualization?

I think I may start experimenting with this.:D

Oski
Monday, May 17th, 2010, 11:53 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/205wn4n.jpg

Chinese archaeologists have found a tiny Swiss watch in a tomb dating back to the Ming dynasty, which they believed has been intact for four centuries.

The watch was discovered by scientists making a documentary, reports ananova.com website.

The out-of-time piece of jewellery was pressed into the soil covering one of the coffins.

The watch is stopped at 10:06, and there is the word “Swiss” on its back.

Work at the archaeological site has been suspended and experts from Beijing have been called in to help solve this mystery, which appears to belong in a sci-fi flick.

http://rt.com/Top_News/2008-12-16/Anachronous_discovery:_Swiss_watch_in_an cient_tomb.html?utm_source=2leep&utm_medium=2leep&utm_campaign=2leep

:D

Æmeric
Tuesday, May 18th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Chinese archaeologists have found a tiny Swiss watch in a tomb dating back to the Ming dynasty, which they believed has been intact for four centuries

I think their assumption is wrong. A tomb robber would be the most likely expalnation, though time travelers would be more fascinating. The story is about a year & 1/2 old, was there ever a followup?

lovethesunn
Sunday, June 20th, 2010, 02:50 AM
very interesting ;)

Nachtengel
Friday, September 23rd, 2016, 10:15 PM
This theme always intrigued me.

QImYw0fuD04

Tiow2F9BkIw

VLU3F9glcgg

Some stories like that of Rudolph Fentz (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolph_Fentz) or Andrew Carlssin (https://crberryauthor.wordpress.com/2014/11/26/alleged-time-traveller-andrew-carlssin-disappears-did-he-go-back-to-the-future/) have been uncovered as urban legends, the "cellphones" could be purses or hearing aids, but what about the "hipsters" in the photos? Some have been said to be analysed by experts as unedited.

Stephen Hawking said, “If time travel is possible, where are the tourists from the future?”

I'm sure if time travel was possible, it would be originally kept private, but still someone would leak at some point? What are your thoughts?

Shadow
Saturday, September 24th, 2016, 12:16 AM
John Titor?

Shadow
Saturday, September 24th, 2016, 01:21 AM
Sorry. Here is a better answer. This is geophysicist Dr. Axel Stoll speaking in English. Note his words on Die Glocke. This was an experiment in time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvgHClMSLKI

Catterick
Saturday, September 24th, 2016, 08:07 AM
The most famour photograph of a time traveller in the USA was actually wearing a knitted baseball top not a shirt. This has been debunked over and over by now.

Primus
Saturday, September 24th, 2016, 08:11 AM
Time-travel is BS. It is not possible according to physics and whatnot- but those (((people))) who run hollywood love to scam the goys with tales of heroic/or oppressed time-travelers.

Primus
Saturday, September 24th, 2016, 08:15 AM
The most famour photograph of a time traveller in the USA was actually wearing a knitted baseball top not a shirt. Thiz has been debunked over and over by now.

The wonderific ability of Photoshop and similar computer programs to deceive the idiots. :D

Catterick
Saturday, September 24th, 2016, 08:18 AM
The wonderific ability of Photoshop and similar computer programs to deceive the idiots. :D

No need for argumentum ad Photoshop.

The time traveller meme was put out to cover up government experiments in radar invisibility. Same way as flying saucer research covered for secret air flights and unknown craft spying on the UK.

Primus
Saturday, September 24th, 2016, 08:28 AM
The time traveller meme was put out to cover up government experiments in radar invisibility. Same way as flying saucer research covered for secret air flights and unknown craft spying on the UK.

Book of Enoch; it isn't canonical per se but it explains much of the 'UFO' nonsense that is going on at the moment.

Catterick
Saturday, September 24th, 2016, 08:49 AM
Don't you mean Ezekiel's account of sundogs?

Englisc
Saturday, September 24th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Time Travel of a sort is possible, into the future - we have all heard that a spaceman returning to earth would find much more time has passed on earth than he had experienced in space. It would require travel at near, or if possible beyond, the speed of light to travel significantly into the future though. And under the current understanding there'd be no way to come back.

The real question is whether there can be time travel to the past is possible - here the scientific consensus would be no. Even if it is oneday found to be possible, one wonders whether it will be allowed. Afterall, there's the potential for time paradoxes, not to mention significantly altering the past by accident or design.

John Titor?
Funny you mention him; I'm currently playing a Japanese visual nove (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steins;Gate)l which features John Titor - in the game, he travels back from 2036 to 2010 to warn than SERN will take over the world and advise the protagonist about time travel.

The real life John Titor is almost certainly a fraud - or if he is a real time traveller, from an alternate timeline than our own. Many of his predictions, such as the outbreak of a world war in 2015, haven't come true.

The Horned God
Saturday, September 24th, 2016, 10:14 AM
As soon as you switched a time machine on you might well create a technological singularity, because humans from all points in the future would then be able to communicate with the present.

Information on every scientific theory or device that will ever be possible in the future would be accessible in the present. That knowledge would then change the future making future technology even more advanced in a progressive feedback-loop. This would effectively give the human species infinity time in which to develop technology.

The instant after a time machine was switched on Humanity would most likely either blink out of existence altogether or else become godlike.

The other possibility, (assuming that time is linear and that there aren't infinite future timeline but only one), is that the time machine could not be switched on at all.

Because a time machine that allowed travel to the past would likely so change the past and therefore the present that the time machine itself and everyone operating it would cease to exist. Therefore as you attempted to flick the switch you might find your hand shaking uncontrollably or perhaps fading out of existence before your very eyes.

So a time machine might be a physical impossibility. Unfortunately we still don't have good enough understanding of how time works or how a time machine might work to be able to say for sure.

Nachtengel
Saturday, September 24th, 2016, 04:44 PM
Time-travel is BS. It is not possible according to physics and whatnot- but those (((people))) who run hollywood love to scam the goys with tales of heroic/or oppressed time-travelers.
Well if it's BS, what about concepts such as the twin paradox (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox).

I wouldn't like to think that the ultimate knowledge is possessed by Einstein's theories. Scientists have been known to violate his causality.

There have been several experiments (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_travel#Experiments_carried_out) carried out that may show causality violation is possible.

Time travel might be plausible if one or more of the following methods could be mastered:

Traveling faster than the speed of light
The use of cosmic strings and black holes
Wormholes and Alcubierre drive

Some like the use of wormholes are limited to traveling back in time only as far back as the machine was created, i.e. you enter the wormhole through its accelerated end your clock reads 2007, when you exit your clock reads 2007, while the clocks of those waiting at the stationary end reads 2012. The farthest you "went back in time" was 2007.

Like life extension or aliens, it's just most probable humans haven't yet gained the knowledge not to mention the technology to study it properly. But how do we know what lays ahead of us? Humans in antiquity would have never predicted the current state, had they had access to a time machine it would have baffled them. So we're probably just not evolved and haven't had the time and experimentation necessary to determine a true answer.

Shadow
Saturday, September 24th, 2016, 06:45 PM
Following Einstein, if gravity can be influenced, so can time be influenced. Or, under different gravity settings there would be different time flows. So, if a gravity machine could be set up and it influenced gravity locally, so time in that locality would also be different from time outside the local influence of the machine. Higher gravity would mean slower time. If a person were inside a room with the gravity machine and then left the area or turned off the machine it would appear to him as if he had lost some time. Said another way, he would think he moved into the future a tiny bit.

Time reversal or going back in time is really another matter. If someone were to go back one year, how would any machine move the earth and its place in orbit and in the universe back to where it was one year ago?

The Horned God
Saturday, September 24th, 2016, 11:15 PM
Time reversal or going back in time is really another matter. If someone were to go back one year, how would any machine move the earth and its place in orbit and in the universe back to where it was one year ago?

Well the time machine would have to already have been built at the time and place in the past that you wished to go back to visit.

You couldn't go to a time or place at which the time machine didn't exist. So you couldn't build a time machine today and then go back to last year.

Your time machine would have had to have been built last year and then you could go back to the moment it was switched on, but not to any time before that.

However if all you could do was send a pc wifi connection through a time tunnel to the past (perhaps converted to gravity waves) that would be enough to get some serious paradoxes going.

Bill Noble
Saturday, September 24th, 2016, 11:30 PM
Time-travel is BS. It is not possible according to physics and whatnot-
In spite of the laws of physics, we developed airplanes that fly and spacecraft that carried men to the Moon. So there is time, and so it is governed by laws of physics. Who is to say that inventors and discoverers will not eventually happen upon the means of manipulating physics to allow us to transcend time?

Shadow
Sunday, September 25th, 2016, 06:40 AM
Well the time machine would have to already have been built at the time and place in the past that you wished to go back to visit.

You couldn't go to a time or place at which the time machine didn't exist. So you couldn't build a time machine today and then go back to last year.

Your time machine would have had to have been built last year and then you could go back to the moment it was switched on, but not to any time before that.

However if all you could do was send a pc wifi connection through a time tunnel to the past (perhaps converted to gravity waves) that would be enough to get some serious paradoxes going.

Maybe the Casimir Effect. Suppose two machines as described by Dr. Stoll were in near enough proximity for their fields to interact producing some sort of field strong enough to blot out gravity. Perhaps the two fields would connect as in the Casimir Effect and make something like a tunnel. It may be possible to move between the two machines in the tunnel and it may be possible there is a temporal displacement in comparison to normal time outside the two connected machines. If people were in this tunnel, they would be sort of suspended in time so when they emerged, it would be their future almost instantly to them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect

But this is all science fiction right now.

Huginn ok Muninn
Sunday, September 25th, 2016, 08:15 PM
Even if it is one day found to be possible, one wonders whether it will be allowed.

If someone has the power to travel back in time, why would he listen to some bureaucrat telling him it is not "allowed?"

The Horned God
Sunday, September 25th, 2016, 10:24 PM
If someone has the power to travel back in time, why would he listen to some bureaucrat telling him it is not "allowed?"

I think you're right. If a time machine existed somebody would jump in it for sure. Just like with anything in science, the genie always gets out of the bottle.

Nachtengel
Wednesday, October 5th, 2016, 10:59 PM
Theoretical physicist and 2057 host Michio Kaku explores the possibilities.

X02WMNoHSm8

Pm88BM0SN-w

Some other interesting stories about the possibility of different dimensions, some which could be debunked, others leave you thinking. Dreams? Hallucinations? Misunderstanding? Hoax? What do you think?

OgX7FmEFZAQ

igRbL9HpqFw

In July 2008, a well-educated 41-year-old woman named Lerina Garcia woke up in her bed on what seemed to like an ordinary day. However, as she went on with her normal routine, she claims she found small details that seemed peculiar.

For example, her sheets and pajamas were different from what she remembered wearing to bed.

She resolved to brush off this curiosity and drove to her place of work, where she had been employed for 20 years. However, upon arriving at her department, she realized it wasn’t actually her department, despite being in its usual location on its usual floor.

Having decided that something weird was definitely going on, she returned home only to find the man from whom she says she had separated six months before, who acted like the separation had never taken place. Her new lover, whom she claimed she had been seeing for four months, was nowhere to be found.

Even after hiring a private detective, his whereabouts remained unknown. There was no trace of him at his alleged residence nor any trace of his family.While it seems more likely that Garcia’s perceptions are the result of some neurological malfunction, she believes she woke up in a parallel universe. Unfortunately for the alleged dimensional traveler, Garcia has not been able to return to her normal universe, leaving her stuck in a dimension where she doesn’t belong with a boyfriend she can’t get rid of.
http://coolinterestingstuff.com/lerina-garcia-the-woman-from-another-dimension

The first incident is claimed to have occurred in 1954. Well, the place of occurrence was the island nation of Japan. As described by various websites, it was a busy year for the officers at Haneda Airport, even though the year was hotter than usual. But that lasted only until one “UNKNOWN DATE” when a European flight dropped its passengers at this very airport. The working officials followed their routine and thought the day to go on as usual. But some surprise was waiting for them just outside the customs door. A neatly dressed, middle-aged, Caucasian man stepped up their front door and as a reply to the usual enquiry, he told the officials that he was just on a normal business trip which was his third that year. Even though his Primary language seemed to be French, he spoke fluent Japanese too! Moreover, his wallet had several currency coins from different European countries, as if certifying that he was a frequent flyer. All these things would surely make you satisfied that he was no “Illegal flyer”. But what happened next, turned up against all these views.

When the officials asked him for his country of origin, he casually stated that he belonged to Taured, which lay on France and Spain’s border. The officials were surprised and confused at the same time! “Taured?” they thought. They soon told him that such a country didn’t exist on the face of this world. But the man presented them with a passport issued by the mysterious country called Taured! As if that much wasn’t enough to embarrass the officials, there were even previous trip visa stamps from Japan and various other countries! But when they called the company the man claimed he had a meeting with in Japan, they said they had never heard of him. The hotel where he had reserved a room had no reservations for such a person. The bank whose checkbook he carried seemed to not exist!

Upon getting all this, the man scoffed, uttering that it was a very serious, practical joke! But the officials showed him a world map and showed him that his country wasn’t listed. But they did show the tiny country Andorra on the map, asking if that was his country. The man was still irate and said that Andorra didn’t exist but Taured did, at that same place! He said that his proud country had existed for over thousand years. Still in this shock, he was detained by the customs officials and given a room at a nearby hotel for the night. His room was guarded at doors by two officials. That room was high up in the building, somewhere in the mid-floors. The night was a busy one for the officials, trying to get to the head of it all.

But the mystery deepened the following morning. The man had disappeared from the high up room, guarded by officials! Apart from this, all the documents regarding his case had too vanished away from the airport’s security room! How would this be possible? Unless there was a dimension travelling device, or of course if the officials hadn’t helped him out? Though they would swear they had followed the orders! Many rumors of dimension travelling and time travel had surfaced due to this event.

This was just about Taured. Then there were stories regarding Laxaria and Lizbia. These are short ones, since they date back to the 19th century and the early 20th century respectively.

The incident occurring in 1851 involved a man who called himself Joseph Vorin. He was wandering freely in Frankfurt-an-der Oder, Germany. When the German authorities enquired about his origin, he said that he was from Laxaria, which lay on the continent of Sakria. The authorities were baffled since none of these places were heard of by them! It didn’t exist on their world map. Joseph’s fate is, unfortunately, not known to us!

Yet one more incident, in 1905, a young man caught stealing a loaf of bread was found stealing a loaf of bread in Paris, speaking an unknown language. After a long session of interrogation, and a lot of efforts, the man managed to convey that he was from Lizbia. Thinking that he meant Lisbon, the officials brought in a Portuguese interpreter. But it was soon found that he wasn’t a Portuguese too! The youth’s language didn’t seem to be an invented babble either, to get away with crime! Eventually, he was released, never to be seen again.

So what were these? Some cheap publicity stunts? Are they even true or just created stories? Were they just hoaxes of some kind? I don’t care about what others think, but I believe firmly, that there is some reality in all this. Something the mankind hasn’t yet discovered. Maybe a Portal of some kind linking different dimensions? I don’t know! Let’s just wait for a new discovery or start progressing in one ourself!

https://theultimatesecrets.wordpress.com/2015/11/09/taured-laxaria-lizbia/

One of the things that bothers me about the Taured story is that the French-speaking man who turned up at Haneda airport in Tokyo, Japan in 1954 with a passport reportedly showing his origin as ‘Taured’ (an unknown country situated where Andorra is) may well have been part of an elaborate practical joke.

But a more likely possibility is that that the airport employees who attended to him did not understand French well and had never heard of Andorra or the Catalan language. So they could have gotten ‘terre d’Andorra’ hobson-jobsoned over into ‘Taured.’ I suspect the whole story is based on errors made by the employees at the airport, and they were dealing (very ineptly) with an Andorran, not someone from an alternate universe. The man from Taured, who vanished so mysteriously from the hotel, probably decided to visit some other facility in Japan where the employees could actually speak and understand French. The whole thing smells like an urban legend to me.

The Taured mystery is often mentioned in company with tales of two other mysterious visitors; ‘Jophar Vorin’ and the bread thief from ‘Lizbia.’

Jophar Vorin turned up in Frankfurt an der Oder, Germany in 1851, claiming to be from Laxaria on the continent of Sakria, and speaking imperfect German. There’s a clue for you, his German was not that good.

Lakhariya is a village in Kota, Rajasthan, and there is also a village called Sakri Nal in Banswara, Rajasthan, India. Jophar gave the names of continents as Sakria, Aflar, Astar, Auslar, Euplar, some of which bear some resemblance to the names of Africa, Asia, Australia and Europe. The name ‘Jophar’ is probably a form of Jafar, an Arabic name which means ‘stream.’ I’m going out on a limb here to say that Jophar was probably not from an alternate universe either, just a Muslim guy from Rajasthan in India who couldn’t make himself understood very well in German.

The Paris bread thief who was apprehended in 1905 told authorities he was from Lizbia, which they misidentified as Lisbon in Portugal. When interpreters found he could not speak Portuguese, they let him go. There’s a simple explanation for ‘Lizbia,’ it was very likely the island of Lesbos, which was occupied by Turks from 1462, and not freed until 1912. The unknown language spoken by the man from Lizbia was probably Turkish.
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-explanation-for-the-Taured-mystery