Bittereinder
Friday, August 26th, 2016, 11:01 AM
http://icdn1.digitaltrends.com/image/old-lady-house-2-640x427-c.jpg

http://icdn1.digitaltrends.com/image/containersofhope1233-720x480-c.jpg?ver=9

http://cdn3.collective-evolution.com/assets/uploads/2014/10/5container.jpg

http://icdn2.digitaltrends.com/image/psp-1-640x427-c.jpg

Shadow
Friday, August 26th, 2016, 06:24 PM
These are cool. I know someone in this business. If you live way out in the country where there are no building codes, have water and want solar, this is your thing.

Hersir
Friday, August 26th, 2016, 09:43 PM
Guess you'd need a lot of insulation for those in Scandinavia. Maybe thermal mass on the outside could work.

The Horned God
Saturday, August 27th, 2016, 12:36 AM
Structurally, these are essentially mobile homes or "trailers" as you'd say in the U.S.

Trailers tend to be really unhealthy to live in. Hersir has already mentioned the insulation problem. Unless you add considerable thermal mass, in a cold winter even in ireland, this things would be condensation-filled ice-boxes.

I'd recommend a prefab log-cabin over one of these things any day. Once all was said and done the price would be pretty similar, but timber has far better insulation properties than sheet metal and it's durability is not in question. Timber houses can last hundreds of years if treated properly.

Regarding price, log cabins start at 30K for a small 50 square metre 2 storey 2 bedroom cabin. For a structure that will be economical to heat and last 100 years, it's for nothing really.

http://timbercabins.ie/index.html

SpearBrave
Saturday, August 27th, 2016, 12:51 AM
Structurally, these are essentially mobile homes or "trailers" as you'd say in the U.S.

Trailers tend to be really unhealthy to live in. Hersir has already mentioned the insulation problem. Unless you add considerable thermal mass, in a cold winter even in ireland, this things would be condensation-filled ice-boxes.

That is exactly what they would be like. I live in the Midwest America where the winters are cold and summers are hot. You need thermal mass to save energy.

Then there is the threat of tornados, these things would go flying around like crazy even with good anchors.

Instead of the term "Trailer Trash" we would have the term " Container Creatures" :D

theTasmanian
Saturday, August 27th, 2016, 01:08 AM
:D i see people are on the right track :D

we had an old lady die one winter who was living in one.

i have built a thousand or so shipping containers and i own a 20' one and i can say i would have something as a weekender but not as a permanent residence ;)

a mud brick house would be better.

building codes "seem" to be stricter here than the USA as i have seen a number of things that would be illegal here in youtube videos, everything must be engineered and "permanently"(thats an odd one for me i often unattach permanent things its part of my trade) attached to the ground eg cement pilings with steel reinforcing then welded to the steel.

Electrical, rain water and drainage,plumbing etc etc more rules.

shacks can be built but they have killed it off with more rules the same with caravans you need permits etc :thumbdown

SpearBrave
Saturday, August 27th, 2016, 01:18 AM
building codes "seem" to be stricter here than the USA as i have seen a number of things that would be illegal here in youtube videos,

It all depends on what state, county, township and city/town you live in. I have seen people trying to get trailers banned in certain counties. I'm fine with that, they lower property values if one is close to you.

For a weekend home, maybe but I think the Horned God is in the right direction with a log cabin.

Bittereinder
Saturday, August 27th, 2016, 06:47 AM
Apparently the key is thermal insulation and condensation control, Here a section of the wall there is lots of space for pipes cables and insulation:

http://residentialshippingcontainerprimer.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/full_standalone/wysiwyg_imageupload/1/typical_interior_container_wall_0.jpg

http://www.containerhomeplans.org/2015/03/5-methods-to-insulate-your-shipping-container-home/

http://www.containerhomeplans.org/2015/02/how-do-i-keep-my-container-home-cool/

Banks here in SA wont finance such builds...

Žoreišar
Sunday, September 4th, 2016, 06:34 PM
Timber houses can last hundreds of years if treated properly.[/url]Indeed, the life time of a proper log house is remarkable. The oldest timber building in Norway was built around 1170 C.E. and is still going strong.

https://gfx.nrk.no/0A72kcOHVgW-jtLbj2r-DQBVu8_wNpCEImXZ-hFeLE5A

However, to my knowledge, the longevity of a log house is not so much about how you treat it once it has been set up, but all the work and treatment during the process leading up to the finishing of the house. A lot of modern log house fabricators don't have the sufficient skills and knowledge for their structures to last as long as they potentially could. After "post-and-beam" construction took over as the most popular method of house building in the 19th century, at least here in Norway, a lot of wisdom concerning tree selection and treatment, as well as its structural strengths and weaknesses, were to a large degree lost.

Supposedly, if you know how to properly build and "groom" the trees you want to use for up to 15 years before you take them down, a log house can get to be 1000 years old, no problem.

Shadow
Sunday, September 4th, 2016, 07:11 PM
Indeed, the life time of a proper log house is remarkable. The oldest timber building in Norway was built around 1170 C.E. and is still going strong.

https://gfx.nrk.no/0A72kcOHVgW-jtLbj2r-DQBVu8_wNpCEImXZ-hFeLE5A

However, to my knowledge, the longevity of a log house is not so much about how you treat it once it has been set up, but all the work and treatment during the process leading up to the finishing of the house. A lot of modern log house fabricators don't have the sufficient skills and knowledge for their structures to last as long as they potentially could. After "post-and-beam" construction took over as the most popular method of house building in the 19th century, at least here in Norway, a lot of wisdom concerning tree selection and treatment, as well as its structural strengths and weaknesses, were to a large degree lost.

Supposedly, if you know how to properly build and "groom" the trees you want to use for up to 15 years before you take them down, a log house can get to be 1000 years old, no problem.

I lived in a log house for 13 years. They look great but they require much more maintenance both interior and exterior than other houses.

Žoreišar
Sunday, September 4th, 2016, 10:48 PM
What kind of maintenance do you mean? On a proper log house, there should be next to none, compared to other type of homes.

SpearBrave
Sunday, September 4th, 2016, 11:35 PM
There are many log homes here from the settlement times 200 years ago. Most have been sided over and you can't tell they are log structures. I lived in such a house the front part of the house and upstairs were log covered with wood siding, the back part was timber framed and covered with wood siding. For the most part they are maintenance free. The newer kit homes have to be treated I think every other year.

I often stumble on the remains of log cabins when I'm hiking and hunting. The walls are somewhat intact, but the roof is usually gone. The most famous of these is called a "dog trot" style. It is actually three cabins put together. Two smaller cabins on ground floor with a bigger cabin connecting them is built on top. The attached picture is one that has logs over sixty feet long on top.

Shadow
Monday, September 5th, 2016, 02:08 AM
What kind of maintenance do you mean? On a proper log house, there should be next to none, compared to other type of homes.

Every other year you have to recoat the outside or it ends up looking like the ones you picture, rotting away. Every year you have to brush down the logs on the inside since they get dusty. This is compounded by any fireplace or wood burning stove you employ with a blower. This is not a small job on a large house nor a particularly pleasant one since you are breathing the dust all day long. You also have to check the logs themselves for settling. This is not cool if you have a chimney. Once, my entire fire place pulled away from the wall. Any wood touching the ground must be checked for termites. The one you picture has a raised foundation but that is not fool proof. One of the support logs for my deck, resting on concrete, got termites and had to be replaced. As this was a supporting beam, heavy machinery had to be brought in and the house lifted, jacked up, on this corner until a concrete pillar could cure which supported the house. Unless you have a central "great room" of two stories and a modern invention, log houses are dark and feel closed. Windows on a log house are expensive and must be structurally engineered if large in size.

Do you want to talk about fire insurance? Container homes at least do not burn.

Žoreišar
Monday, September 5th, 2016, 05:22 PM
Every other year you have to recoat the outside or it ends up looking like the ones you picture, rotting away.The one I posted a picture of is about 850 years old. :p Some superficial deterioration at this point, has to be accepted. What some people seem to forget about wood, is that it is a living and breathing material, even after its been chopped down. If you seal the walls with a coating that humidity cannot pass through, it will inevitably end up rotting very quickly. The best thing to do, is to leave the wood in its natural state, so it can properly aerate. Wood also has a natural survival mechanism to protect itself when loosing its bark, pushing out a healing substance to the surface, which acts as a protection against deterioration from sun and rain.

Every year you have to brush down the logs on the inside since they get dusty. This is compounded by any fireplace or wood burning stove you employ with a blower. This is not a small job on a large house nor a particularly pleasant one since you are breathing the dust all day long.Wood panels covering the interior walls should fix this.

You also have to check the logs themselves for settling. This is not cool if you have a chimney. Once, my entire fire place pulled away from the wall.That sounds like a poorly constructed log house. The logs are supposed to be movable objects, as they constantly accustom themselves to the conditions surrounding them. In very cold areas, for example, it is advised to have a flatter angle on the roof, so more snow will collect on it, serving both as insulation and as a weight to press the logs tighter together, reducing airflow in between logs. Fixing large, immovable objects to such a structure, is not a wise decision.

Any wood touching the ground must be checked for termites. The one you picture has a raised foundation but that is not fool proof. One of the support logs for my deck, resting on concrete, got termites and had to be replaced. As this was a supporting beam, heavy machinery had to be brought in and the house lifted, jacked up, on this corner until a concrete pillar could cure which supported the house.Firstly, logs should never rest directly on concrete. As opposed to stone, concrete has great capillary properties, sucking up water and containing it for a long time. Stone, on the other hand, catches water on the immediate surface only, and doesn't react with wood in any meaningful way.

As for termites, I don't have so much knowledge about, although there are several methods to remove as much as possible of the nutritional value contained in a tree both before and after cutting it down, making it (hopefully) as uninteresting as possible for termites and other wood-eaters. Some of these methods are done by removing some bark of the tree, little by little, year by year, before it gets cut. You could also remove the top of the tree some years before cutting it, increasing the amount of core wood in the tree. Some people also cut the trees at the point of time it starts getting leaves in the spring, and some also wash them in lakes and rivers for a couple of months to get most of the left-over nutrition out of them.

Safe to say, modern industrial fabricators of log homes don't give much regard to these things. Their interest lies in building fast, cheap and maybe getting a phone call in 5 or 10 years time to come by and reconstruct a failing element of the structure.

Shadow
Monday, September 5th, 2016, 07:10 PM
There were plenty of old pioneer type log cabins in this area about 100 years old. They were ruins. These were places people went out with metal detectors and looked for old things.

Settling in a log home happens to all such homes. There are many methods of construction. For instance small holes can be made and lined up vertically so that a threaded rod, "allthread", can be inserted vertically. Then nuts are fixed at the ends and with a wrench, tightened down. A space is provided so the homeowner can crawl up and down once a year are tighten. This is not to prevent settling, this is to ensure a tight fit between the logs.

Using interior paneling defeats the purpose of the log home itself. With only a little more effort the house could be a frame house, insulated, and finished as a modern house.

Here, if you don't coat your long home, it will rot but before that it will be eaten alive by termites and beetles. You are talking about exposed wood and that is an insect's feast.

I don't know what the snow load in Norway is or what the building codes are but here it is 200 pounds per square foot. Where I am now we have heavy snow in the winter and it accumulates to an average of eight feet of standing snow. Unless the angle of the roof allows it to shed, by itself, any flat-type roof will collapse under the weight. Even when I don't live here in the winter, I have to travel here and shovel the snow off my deck (second story) which, even with a 200 pound per sq. foot construction, will collapse unless shoveled off.

Bittereinder
Tuesday, September 6th, 2016, 05:16 AM
Another benefit of using containers as building blocks is that they are what is called vandal proof. You can see how that would be advantageous in a country of 40,000,000 blacks.

https://forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=112180&stc=1&d=1473135234

Catterick
Monday, February 6th, 2017, 09:36 PM
One or two people could easily live in a single shipping container with a toilet, sink, shower, stove and storage. Insulation might be a problem but they are fine in cold winters.

Catterick
Monday, February 6th, 2017, 11:01 PM
Just a thought. What if you used soil to insulate a prefabricated home whilst blending it into the landscape? And a greenhouse at the front for food or relaxation.

Mööv
Monday, February 6th, 2017, 11:09 PM
Just a thought. What if you used soil to insulate a prefabricated home whilst blending it into the landscape? And a greenhouse at the front for food or relaxation.

A friend of mine wanted to do something like that with a shipping container. He wanted to embed it into a hill on some property he planned to buy. But there were some issues with the purchasing of the lot so he never did it. It's an interesting idea.