PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2016

SaxonCeorl
Friday, June 10th, 2016, 12:07 AM
http://img.uefa.com/imgml/2016/euro/social/og-default.jpg

Euro 2016 starts tomorrow in France.

SaxonCeorl
Sunday, June 12th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Great win for Wales! Was afraid they were going to get robbed.

Can't believe England gave up the lead right at the end :doeh

Shadow
Monday, June 13th, 2016, 01:07 AM
I can't even believe you people. The TV shows images of big, strong, young men of various European countries fighting in the streets against men of other countries over something so trivial as football. Yet these same men seem so reluctant to even voice concern over the invasion of the continent by hoards of alien invaders. Have all Europeans lost their frickin' minds?

SaxonCeorl
Monday, June 13th, 2016, 01:26 AM
I can't even believe you people. The TV shows images of big, strong, young men of various European countries fighting in the streets against men of other countries over something so trivial as football. Yet these same men seem so reluctant to even voice concern over the invasion of the continent by hoards of alien invaders. Have all Europeans lost their frickin' minds?

Hmm, I think the football hooligans would be the ones who go out in the streets and protest Muslims and the like. There's surely a lot of overlap there.

SaxonCeorl
Monday, June 13th, 2016, 01:20 PM
Euro 2016: 150 'hyper-violent' Russian hooligans escaped police in Marseille and are set to ambush England fans again in Lille

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/13/euro-2016-french-fail-to-arrest-any-russian-hooligans-after-mars/

Sigurd
Sunday, June 19th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Who will win the tournament? After another awful display and only miraculously staying in contention for the Round of 16, it definitely isn't going to be Austria, that's for sure. If it hadn't been for the goal keeper, Portugal would have given us a proper thrashing. :P

I'm thinking the tournament will be won either by Germany, France or England. England sure didn't have the toughest qualification group, but they have much offensive potential and it depends on whether Hodgson can get them to harmonise so that they evade penalty shootouts in the latter rounds. France have traditionally performed well in tournaments on home soil, and whilst they didn't convince me much in recent games at the tournament, they never give up, which could be useful in the playoff stage. And Germany is Germany, always good for tournaments.

There will be some surprise teams going through, I am sure, but I don't see any of them get into the final.

SaxonCeorl
Sunday, June 19th, 2016, 08:17 PM
http://www.epa.eu/thumb.php/52836077.jpg?eJwljLsOwjAQBP9laxdnn99tKiQ CEkYCKhQSm44CSIX4d06mGu2sdj8YkAGF4YysBZe OUaQzkT2FIOV2g2wEO9H1cb-ur0ls6bLIgRWMfViOyO_nWhVO__qAHIkU9hIxL22 2jahNzKTT4myIqRrN_mY5eYfvDz2hIeQ~

Iceland, likely the most Germanic side in the tournament.

Chlodovech
Thursday, June 23rd, 2016, 12:15 AM
I voted for an outsider, Croatia, even though I support all the Germanic countries. This is a pro-tip. Sometimes outsiders win this tournament and I think it will happen this year - also, Croatia avoids all the major football countries until the final due to the schedule of the rest of Euro 2016. More importantly, how those Slavs defeated the Spaniards only a few days ago was brilliant, Spain being considered the best playing team at the championship and then one has to consider how the Croats kept some of their best players on the sidelines, no Modric for instance! Maybe not the most spectacular of all games so far (Hun - Por was the most entertaining one), but definitely the best as far as quality is concerned. Croatia may lose the final, but I think they'll advance to that stage.

Biggest disappointment: Austria. All the high hopes and expectations prior to the tournament were unfonded.
Best fans: as usual, the Irish.

I'm not surprised Iceland and Wales perform this well, but I'm curious as to whether they can advance to the next stage, then this tournament really becomes their tournament. 15% of Iceland's population is currently in France to root for their team, BTW.

Sigurd
Sunday, June 26th, 2016, 01:35 AM
I was expecting Croatia to go through to the final also. Only eventually, after 117 minutes of the worst excuse for a football game that I've seen, ever (worse than a very dreary Round-of-16 November match-up between Wacker and Grödig in the Austrian Cup even some years back), the only goal-scoring opportunity of the entire game for either team ended up as decisive. What a waste of time watching that game.

Oh, and regarding Austria's campaign: I'm glad they kicked our multi ethnic squad out. Now do the same thing to England first, France next, then Germany and finally what appears to be Portuga once more. :P

SaxonCeorl
Sunday, June 26th, 2016, 06:23 PM
Hm, today is not a good day for the more ethnically correct teams :| C'mon Hungary, get the upset!

Untersberger
Sunday, June 26th, 2016, 09:45 PM
Germany looking the contender..

Iceland vs England will be a great game.

The Icelanders have improved their game in leaps and bounds and have a Viking Spirit that fights 100% to the last..

Bring it on..

Mööv
Sunday, June 26th, 2016, 10:04 PM
Hm, today is not a good day for the more ethnically correct teams :| C'mon Hungary, get the upset!

Bad day indeed.
But it was interesting to see Belgian gypsies (or whatever they are) act stupid and chimpy. I guess you can put them in Europe, teach them stuff, but the genes you just can't change. A monkey will always be a monkey no matter what tricks it learns to perform.

SaxonCeorl
Monday, June 27th, 2016, 09:53 PM
Just watched Iceland beat England. What a game! I've never seen a team play so courageously and harmoniously. They were sprinting around, busting their lungs for 90 minutes.

I always root for England but, looking at the faces out there today compared to Iceland, I couldn't.

Viking power!

Loyalist
Monday, June 27th, 2016, 11:13 PM
That was the most embarrassing effort by England that I've ever seen - and being an England supporter there has never been any shortage of those. There were a lot of technical problems - failure to come together as a team, dreadful goalkeeper in Joe Hart - but much could have been mitigated by a change of manager. Many critics said Roy Hodgson should have been sacked after the World Cup, but as far as I'm concerned it should have been after Euro 2012. You could see problems emerging back then, particularly in that utter capitulation to Italy in the quarter final. And then there was more of the same in Brazil (finishing bottom in a group that included Costa Rica?) and yet he held on to his job, largely because he was a yes-man for the Football Association who stayed on script and always played big names from prominent teams so the FA's sponsorship money from Nike kept rolling in. Whether or not those players were in-form didn't matter. This tournament was marked by one inexplicable decision after another: excluding Drinkwater, incessant changing of formations, dropping the captain for a vital group stage match, Kane taking set pieces, Sterling starting, etc. Absolutely abysmal. At least now there's time to find a new manager and rebuild before the World Cup.

Germany are always my second team, and I think they have the best chance of winning it, assuming the Italian curse doesn't strike again (I tipped Germany for the title before the tournament started). There are some worrying signs up front, however; for all the possession dominance, they don't seem to have any creativity up front. Müller has been invisible, Götze atrocious, and Gomez doing about as well as someone acculturated to the Turkish league can do. They need reliable goalscorers and are seriously missing Klose and Reus, leaving me slightly worried as to whether they'll be able to carve open Italy's defence on Saturday, as it is superb.

It was a shame to see Croatia knocked out by a woefully average Portugal, and the fact that a team is now in the quarter finals after not having won a single match in regular time is a testament to what a joke this expanded format is. That teams can finish third and still make it into the knockout round has resulted in a great deal of poor quality football, with too many sides playing simply not to lose.

Nordic Angel
Tuesday, June 28th, 2016, 11:27 PM
Just watched Iceland beat England. What a game! I've never seen a team play so courageously and harmoniously. They were sprinting around, busting their lungs for 90 minutes.

I always root for England but, looking at the faces out there today compared to Iceland, I couldn't.

Viking power!
I watched it too. I want Iceland to win the Euro 2016! I want it so bad!!!

Sigurd
Wednesday, June 29th, 2016, 03:48 PM
The Iceland game was awesome. And it made me a little richer. Fair enough, I was too craven to bet on an outright Iceland win, but I bet on Iceland progressing (though I thought it'd be on penalties :D), and the quota brought me a little over €200 extra. :P

Thorbrand
Wednesday, June 29th, 2016, 10:27 PM
As an Englishman by birth I would normally support England but they were abysmal. I've been losing interest in football these last few years with the growing mercenary nature of the modern game. In the England-Iceland match a team of overpaid foppish English celebrities faced a team of determined, patriotic vikings .... By the second half I was a convinced Iceland supporter. Most of all I was heartened by the sight of the Iceland supporters - man, woman and child all of the same stock.

I hope they beat the African French side on Saturday.

Mööv
Thursday, June 30th, 2016, 07:01 PM
https://forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=111862&stc=1&d=1467309609

:roll