PDA

View Full Version : Charles Darwin Was an Atheist

Nachtengel
Tuesday, May 10th, 2016, 08:11 AM
Charles Darwin confessed his atheism in a private letter which has gone up for auction

The celebrated naturalist, famed for his research on evolution, said he did not believe Jesus was the son of God or that the Bible was divine revelation

A private letter where Charles Darwin confesses to not believing in the bible or that Jesus was the son of God is set to sell for more than £50,000.

The esteemed naturalist and geologist was famous for keeping his religious views to himself and very rarely discussed the existence of God.

It is thought the scientist, famous for his pioneering research on evolution, avoided the subject so he didn’t offend friends and family.

But in a handwritten letter to a potential reader he shared his honest thoughts.

Francis McDermott, a barrister and committed Christian, wrote to Darwin on November 23, 1880, with an unusual request.

He asked: “If I am to have pleasure in reading your books I must feel that at the end I shall not have lost my faith in the New Testament.

“My reason in writing to you therefore is to ask you to give me a Yes or No to the question Do you believe in the New Testament....”

McDermott promised not to publicise any response and Darwin wrote back to him the following day.

The groundbreaking Victorian scientist wrote: “Dear Sir, I am sorry to have to inform you that I do not believe in the Bible as a divine revelation & therefore not in Jesus Christ as the son of God. Yours faithfully Ch. Darwin”.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/science/charles-darwin-confessed-atheism-private-6414395

Primus
Tuesday, May 10th, 2016, 08:26 AM
The grand-father of Charles Darwin, Erasmus Darwin, was a Freemason. :thumbdown The theory of 'human evolution' has nothing at all to do with the Jews/Masons, I swear it's true.

:|

Coillearnach
Tuesday, May 10th, 2016, 10:46 AM
Rejecting Christianity and embracing Atheism aren't the same thing?

Catterick
Tuesday, May 10th, 2016, 12:21 PM
Rejecting Christianity and embracing Atheism aren't the same thing?

Don't tell New Atheists that.

SaxonCeorl
Tuesday, May 10th, 2016, 01:22 PM
There's no way a man of science would believe in the Christian fables.

Rhaegar Thorwald
Friday, July 29th, 2016, 03:20 PM
Of course he was, his IQ was over 60...

Shadow
Friday, July 29th, 2016, 10:27 PM
Don't tell New Atheists that.

Are "New atheists" a thing?