PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Representations of the Wildman in France

Catterick
Thursday, May 5th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Some information about wildman depictions in the Pays Basque, Bretagne and elsewhere in France. I wonder if these depictions were inspired by Mousterian skulls that were recognised as not fully human.

http://www2.isu.edu/rhi/pdf/ANCIENT-REPRESENTATIONS-OF-THE-WILDMAN-IN-FRANCE.pdf

Catterick
Thursday, May 5th, 2016, 07:45 PM
The carvings from Sainte-Engrāce, Pays Basque are obviously a primate. The others are regular woodwoses else ambiguous. One carving from eastern Frrance shows either a tame ape else a cryptid.

Shadow
Thursday, May 5th, 2016, 09:28 PM
The link won't load up for me probably my computer.

Such things are all over Europe from by-gone days. In modern Russia, in European Russia, these things still are said to live in wooded hills in some areas. I think we are looking at Zana-type pre-moderns, circa 100,000 years ago mixed with Neanderthals or other archaics.

Catterick
Friday, May 6th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Its only in the Pyrennees the wildmen are consistently regarded as real not just as bestiary creatures. Subjects still interesting though.

Shadow
Friday, May 6th, 2016, 07:15 PM
Its only in the Pyrennees the wildmen are consistently regarded as real not just as bestiary creatures. Subjects still interesting though.

No, there are parts of Russia where these things are regularly seen and the locals firmly believe they exist. I saw a news program on this done by RT (Russia Today).

Catterick
Friday, May 6th, 2016, 08:00 PM
No, there are parts of Russia where these things are regularly seen and the locals firmly believe they exist. I saw a news program on this done by RT (Russia Today).

In places such as the Caucasus and Altai perhaps. But not the European peninsula is what I meant.