PDA

View Full Version : Danish Viking Grave with British Sensation

Hersir
Saturday, March 26th, 2016, 02:01 PM
https://i.imgur.com/c7irJon.jpg

A well-equipped Viking grave at Randers in Denmark have been shown to contain a brooch that can be Irish or Scottish. Now researchers are trying to determine if Norway was an intermediary for the rare found.

Although only six centimeters in diameter and entirely flat, can be a rather heavy sensation.

A small gilt bronze plate was for around 1,000 years ago buried with its owner, who around the year 900 was added in a Viking grave in Enghøy, north of what today is Randers.

And the little clasp that held together the woman's undergarment, constitutes quite a sensation.

It now comes in all probability from the British Isles, and such findings are extremely rare in Denmark.

But only to determine it's been quite a journey, says project manager and archaeologist from the Museum Østjylland, Ernst Stidsing.

He has just published an article about the discovery of the book Death and buried in the Viking Age, published by Saxo Institute at Copenhagen University.

Never seen anything like

Ernst Stidsing knew at once that the small bronze disc was something for themselves.

- I had never seen anything like it before, telling Stidsing thrilled.

He photographed the buckle and sends images to the Danish arkeologis grand old lady, Else Roes Dahl, a professor emerita in archeology at Aarhus University.

https://i.imgur.com/JFu0BCt.jpg
Viking buckle from Randers come from the British Isles and is thus a bit of sensation.

But she had not seen anything like it, and when Else Roes Dahl has not seen it, so we know that it is unique, says Stidsing.

Roes Dahl sent the images on to a number of English and German colleagues.

- They could say quite confidently there is a seizure of a casket from the British Isles. One believed that ornamentation so Irish out, another that it was from southern Scotland, tells Stidsing.

The buckle is plunder
The foreign experts agree that the buckle has a claim to a religious wooden box before it became a clothing buckle. And that it is stolen.

- It's from a monastery or a church. But it's probably loot, for such shrine has not been merchandise. The Vikings did not buy this stuff, notes Stidsing.

The tomb is of 900s, and the international experts determines that the buckle is from 800s. And therefore extremely rare in Denmark.

- It's found something similar in Vejleby on Lolland, but I know not in Jutland tells Stidsing.

It confirms Jens Ulriksen, who is an archaeologist at the Museum Southeastern Denmark.

- Such ranges are very rare in Denmark. I've never seen the kind of ornament before in a Danish context, and to find something like that in a tomb is very unusual, says Ulriksen

Possible intermediary in Norway

How buckle has landed on Jutland, is pure conjecture. But Ernst Stidsing think the journey might have gone through Norway.

- It is not common in Norway - but where is it found a few pieces. It could be a Norwegian woman who has come to Denmark with their jewelery, speculating Stidsing.

He has great hopes of getting tested that theory. The woman in the grave had in fact well-preserved teeth, which are now sent for analysis.

- I'm pretty excited about the outcome of the analysis. Especially the Norwegian Vikings were often at sea in the North of England, and it's exciting about a woman may have come from Norway and have lived a part of life in Denmark, says Stidsing.

- It will confirm the picture of a globalized world then. It's exciting that we can get a step further - just like with Egtved girl, who we thought were some of the most Danish we had, and then it turns out that she was from Germany. Similarly, it is interesting if a Norwegian woman 900s have ended in Denmark, says Stidsing.

https://i.imgur.com/GQKsrHv.jpg
In Norway, it found similar ranges, and it nourishes the theory that the buried woman might have been Norwegian.

Confirms Viking mobility

Jens Ulriksen also think it's an interesting perspective.

- It is exciting if we can see that people have raised, married and settled over greater distances. We know from 900s that Danish kings were married Slavic princesses, says Ulriksen.

- It is interesting to see if it goes further down in the hierarchies, that the great man level. It would not surprise me that there was an exchange. Then you can see some dynastic connections in the Nordic region, says the archaeologist.

He agrees with the comparison Egtved girl.

- There has hardly been anyone who was so mobile, but it is interesting to examine how widespread it was. It helps to change the appearance of the mobile Vikings were, says Ulriksen.

Source via google translate (https://translate.google.ie/translate?sl=no&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=no&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforskning.no%2F2016%2F03% 2Fvikinggrav-i-randers-inneholder-britisk-sensasjon&edit-text=)

Thorburn
Saturday, March 26th, 2016, 08:10 PM
There has hardly been anyone who was so mobile, but it is interesting to examine how widespread it was. It helps to change the appearance of the mobile Vikings were, says Ulriksen.Seems we are learning new facts about the Vikings all the time.

Ocko
Saturday, March 26th, 2016, 08:20 PM
Why would it be strange if Jutes, Angeln, Frisian and Saxon colonized Britain in around 400 christian year-counting?

The kettle of Gundestrup made even further ways to get to Denmark and it mostly likely is loot too.

There are also arab coins in scandinavia.

The ships, which scandinavian people built, are a very very ancient form and have been capable of crossing the Atlantic in times long long ago.