PDA

View Full Version : Golden Dawn Starts Soup Kitchens

Germania Magna
Tuesday, July 17th, 2012, 02:29 AM
Golden Dawn Starts Soup Kitchens

By Areti Kotseli on July 16, 2012 in News

Far-right Parliament party Golden Dawn started soup kitchens providing hundreds of people with food in Ilion, Athens and other areas. The first day the kitchen soups were initiated, masses marched to the area demonstrating their unemployment cards or papers certificating their having large-families.

What sparked controversy among Greek media was the fact that the far-right party demanded that people allowed to take food had to be of exclusive Greek origin. Every immigrant, illegal or not, including Gypsies, is excluded from the soup kitchens; however, we can’t ignore that the 18 elected Golden Dawn MPs and their supporters don’t spend their time and money in cultural events and academic talks, but in actual efforts of social nature.

Each item in the food supply was bought from state money the party received in proportion to the acquired parliamentary seats (according to the legal framework for elected parties). Everything was bought from Greek firms and Greek producers exclusively. In a symbolic show, in this way, Golden Dawn MPs ‘return’ the Greek people the money they gave them with their vote.

A few days ago, the party also organized blood donation events for Greeks only. They put up posters all over Athens calling for volunteers to donate blood “for Greeks who need our help.” Once again they received negative comments from across the media and the medical community.

Regardless if someone (including the writer) does or does not accept the political views of Golden Dawn, their actions should be acknowledged as a slap in the face of the established political world and particularly those claiming to be on the side of the poor and unemployed.

http://greece.greekreporter.com/2012/07/16/golden-dawn-starts-kitchen-soups/

KingOvGermania
Tuesday, July 17th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Look at these evil Nazis being eevilll...oh wait. ;)

Primus
Tuesday, July 17th, 2012, 03:28 AM
A blatant way, but good, to win over support. :)

Sybren
Tuesday, July 17th, 2012, 05:57 AM
A blatant way, but good, to win over support. :)
Perhaps you've just got to be blatant with this sort of thing. I get the feeling most immigrants often don't get subtle messages, or they just don't have such an impact.

How much more unwelcome can you feel, than being denied food while the native population does. It is harsh, but perhaps necessary.

Primus
Tuesday, July 17th, 2012, 06:47 PM
I read a blurb that they were doing a blood drive for Greeks only as well. :D

renownedwolf
Tuesday, July 17th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I think it's great! People will notice that stuff actually happens and gets done for them instead of empty promise after empty promise. Then they will think 'I want something too!' and give their support to GD.

It's what we need in our own countries.

Genrol
Wednesday, July 18th, 2012, 02:02 AM
We should have a party/movement like this in Australia, except without the nazi-like style. I don't think that'll catch on in Australia if we keep the Nazi like symbolism.

renownedwolf
Wednesday, July 18th, 2012, 10:53 AM
It's not Nazi like symbolism, just like Nazi symbolism, well, isn't. That's what the media keep drumming into people. It's a meander, an ancient Greek motif.

What I like about GD is that absolutely don't give a rats arse about what the mainstream think, they just do it anyway. You simply cannot play by 'their' rules and expect to get anywhere.

Van Wellenkamp
Wednesday, July 18th, 2012, 11:32 AM
We could all use a Golden Dawn in our own lands.

Sawyer
Wednesday, July 18th, 2012, 12:11 PM
We should have a party/movement like this in Australia, except without the nazi-like style. I don't think that'll catch on in Australia if we keep the Nazi like symbolism.

Damn right. I think we have a very strong potential base of support for such a movement here too. Only 10 or so years ago the One Nation party got almost 10% in the Federal elections, and almost 25% in the Queensland State elections.

GewaltigeAufgabe
Sunday, July 29th, 2012, 08:45 PM
What a heart-warming act! I favor these types of things... it is as if the Golden Dawn is saying thank you to the people who voted for them, and making others who didn't, now want to vote for them.

Quite an act of generosity exhibited by fine men.