PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a National Anthem for Mercia

Wulfhere
Friday, July 6th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Deciding on a national anthem for a newly independent state, or a state that aspires to independence, is not always easy, especially if there is no generally recognised song to fulfil that role. It needs to be one that is already well-known, so writing a new one is not a practical option, but it also has to be one uniquely specific to the nation in question. It is this lack of a specific connection to Mercia that has led us to ultimately reject most proposals for a Mercian national anthem, whatever else the merits, or otherwise, of the various proposed songs, but our current candidate, Odyssey, meets all the requirements. Comments from Mercians and other interested persons are welcome. Details, plus video clip, here:

http://sovereignmercia.webs.com/anthem.htm

Svanhild
Friday, July 6th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Oh snap, you're still around in internet fora, Wulfhere? How's your cult of 'virgin girls' these days? ;) Do you have a single bit of evidence for the existence of your cult in RL now?

What will be the national animal of your Mercian state? I'd imagine that pedobear is among your favourites. Pardon my French, but I still don't believe all of this made up hoax.

Wulfhere
Friday, July 6th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Oh snap, you're still around in internet fora, Wulfhere? How's your cult of 'virgin girls' these days? ;) Do you have a single bit of evidence for the existence of your cult in RL now?

What will be the national animal of your Mercian state? I'd imagine that pedobear is among your favourites. Pardon my French, but I still don't believe all of this made up hoax.

Hi Svannie, pleased to see you too. :)

The national animal of Mercia, as it happens, is the boar, the symbol used by its last Pagan king, Penda. Or the double-headed eagle, as used by Earl Leofric of Mercia.

I'm not sure how you can call it a "hoax", since these are our proposals, and (since Mercia is not yet independent) have not yet been put into practice. All we can do is train people in the interim, and spread the word through meetings and campaigns. If you're on Facebook, check out our group. The link is found on every page of our website.

BarbaricHeathen
Thursday, July 7th, 2016, 04:00 AM
EbQEHqAYYp4