PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Name?

Frostbite
Friday, June 29th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Has anyone on this forum heard of the name Dolbear? There could be variations in the spelling also.

According to my father it's Scottish, but to my aunt it's French and I've looked on the internet and I haven't found anything really conclusive. I did a search a few minutes ago that said it might be German but I have no idea how accurate that it.

I would like to research some family history but it's difficult when I can't even be sure of where family names are from :|

I know on my fathers side there is definitely English, Scottish and maybe a small amount of Irish. On my mothers side we had people from Quebec, but I searched their name and it what little info I found implied that they might have been Scottish.

feisty goddess
Friday, June 29th, 2012, 04:37 AM
That name sounds very uncommon. It definitely doesn't strike me as French or German. I think it's likely Scottish, as a person with Scottish ancestry. It could possibly be Irish though.

hyidi
Friday, June 29th, 2012, 08:51 AM
All people with recorded dolbear as a last name all have English first names. This may be a hint?

Jens
Friday, June 29th, 2012, 10:09 AM
It might me a slightly evolved version of Talbryn. Welsh.
Or Delbert. English
or Dalibor. Slavic

Sehnsucht
Friday, June 29th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Census distribution in England and Scotland. (http://www.ancestry.co.uk/name-origin?surname=dolbear)

Seems concentrated in Midlothian and Devon. :scratch
Fairly rare name I guess.

According to A History of Surnames of the British Isles by C. L'Estrange Ewen 1931 the Dol- prefix means foolish in Old English. Perhaps it just means foolish bear? :D Probably Dullbear. :P

I'm going to go with Anglo-Saxon in origins.

Frostbite
Friday, June 29th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks everyone. This is pretty helpful.