PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgy-tv: The Other Fryslân

Sybren
Sunday, June 24th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Here a link to a movie about the different Nordfrisian dialects, and the efforts of saving this language with few speakers. My heart really goes out to these people, that don't want to loose their precious language.

I have translated the Dutch subtitles and spoken West-Frisian into English, but cannot understand Nord-Frisian well enough to translate it, so some (only a few) parts are not subtitled. I didn't find out how to embed the video here on Skadi, so here is a simple link to it. You can activate the English subtitles by clicking on the 'select language' button.

Nostalgy-tv: The other Fryslân (http://www.universalsubtitles.org/nl/videos/765mHOBUeRoM/info/nostalgy-tv-it-oare-fryslan/#video)

It's funny that, the less you understand of a Germanic language, the more Germanic it sounds :P

Ingvaeonic
Thursday, June 28th, 2012, 07:57 AM
I hope they can keep these great Germanic regional languages and prevent them from dying out. Losing these languages is a terrible cultural, historical, and social loss. If I were in the regions in northern Europe where these languages were spoken, I would certainly try to speak and write in at least some of them.

On another note, I liked the line of the Frisian-speaking German who said his wife spoke Plattdeutsch (Low German), his children spoke Friesisch (Frisian), and his dog spoke Hochdeutsch (High German). Very amusing--or is it? I think there is a message in there somewhere. :chinrub

Ingvaeonic
Friday, June 29th, 2012, 01:16 PM
To what extent are all the various Frisian languages written languages? Are they extensively written languages within the area in which they are spoken, or not?

Sybren
Saturday, June 30th, 2012, 09:40 AM
To what extent are all the various Frisian languages written languages? Are they extensively written languages within the area in which they are spoken, or not?
I don't know about Saterland (east) Frisian and Nordfrisian, which both have very few speakers.

West Frisian, which has much more speakers (around 400.000) is mostly an oral language, allthough in most recent years written Frisian is really making a comeback. All the city and village town signs for example have been changed to their (original) Frisian name version (they previously were in Dutch).

I notice more and more people typing f.e. e-mails in Frisian as well. I myself always do this as well, when sending an e-mail/sms to other Frisians. Noticable is that the quality of the writing often isn't that consistent, because of the lack of proper schooling in it. Many write it as they hear it. But at least it's going in the right direction :thumbup

Aren't there any Nordfrisians on Skadi? I would like to know how they handle writing :)

Ferjo
Thursday, July 5th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I thought it was like 600.00 speakers and i read about an article that Frisian is on the rise amongst jong people. Also the Sleisweig-Holstein government has a coalition with the frisian-danish political party over there. They recently signed a cultural agreement between frisians. To support the city of Ljouwert (leeuwarden) to become cultural capital of europe.
Let's hope it is the first step to more independence and cooperation between the Frisian lands. Against the constant attack on our wealth and own free will.

Excuse my English, it has become a little rusty.

Eala Frya Fresena, Leaver Dea as Slaef!