PDA

View Full Version : What Would Be the Best Bridal Tradition?

Adalheid
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 09:51 PM
My brother (who is an American soldier) is stationed in Germany at the moment. During his stay there, he has met a young woman and has courted her for six months. They recently announced their engagement and are making plans to fly back to the United States to introduce her to the family.

I want to do everything in my power to welcome this young woman into our lives and to make her feel welcomed, loved and appreciated.

She is from Kaiserslautern, Germany, a place I admittedly know little of. My mother came to Canada from England--but her mother was a German who married a Englishman in a very unlikely time to have a romance between the two countries. She spoke little of her roots.

Can anyone from Germany recommend any sort of bridal tradition, or anything that I could do to really appeal to this young lady's tradition in any manner that would be appropriate?

Thank you for any input.

Georgia
Thursday, June 28th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Is the couple planning to get married in Germany? Will they have a civil ceremony, a church wedding or will they exchange their vows among family and friends? BTW, I think it is wonderful that your brother "courted" this young woman. Courtship is rare this days, especially in Germany, yet still found quite frequently in Dixie.

Neophyte
Friday, June 29th, 2012, 08:10 PM
My gut feeling is to give her a BIG American welcome. That is what your family is all about, and what she is getting into. The German part is her part, so don't forget to bring it up with her. :)

Georgia
Monday, July 2nd, 2012, 05:32 AM
Correction:
Courtship is rare this days - should be Courtship is rare these days...
When I read some of my comments I see the errors right away...it is usually to late to correct them with the "edit" function. So if y'all see any errors, just overlook them. It is hard for me to overlook my own, perhaps y'all can...:)

~~~Georgia

hodekin
Tuesday, July 3rd, 2012, 07:41 AM
For her, part of the excitement of her 'new life' will be the full on American experience! So when you meet her...just be yourselves. If you want to show her in a low key and unembarrasing way that you are aware of her cultural and national background, how about a 'Welcome' cake with American and German flags on it?

She and her future husband will decide how best they will live their lives in a cultural sense, and her family will provide all the German tradition she could ever hope for.

Just be yourselves and give her a big American welcome into your family, that is the best reaction she is probably hoping for.

Hodekin

Sturmreiter
Tuesday, July 10th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Hmm... we have a tradition of so called "Polterabend". In english you can read about this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polterabend