PDA

View Full Version : Hair and Eye - My family

Esther_Helena
Thursday, July 15th, 2004, 09:36 AM
I just got this info from my mom. I don't know how to put this in family tree format, so it looks right on every monitor, so you will have to bear with me as I put my great grandparents, then their children, then their children. I will be using first names, b/c son1, and son2, etc is just annoying :P Also on #1, JW was his name, weren't my ancestors creative? ;)
I just felt like posting it, use it for an example somewhere if you like. This is my maternal line. First group will be my mother's paternal grandparents, next will be maternal. III-V are compliations of other sections.
Hair - Eye
I. James and Lity (don't know)
1. JW: Brown-Blue
2. John Bill: Brown-Brown
3. William: Brown-Brown
4. Lee Roy: Brown-Blue?
5. Bondelia: Brown-Brown
6. Molly Jo: Brown-Brown
7. Wilma Ruth: Brown-Brown
8. Glenn Boyd: Brown-Blue

II. Ray: RedBlonde-Blue and Hattie: Brown-Green
1. Larry: Red-Green
2. Bob: RedBrown-Green
3. Don: Brown-Brown?
4. Judy: Red-Green
5. Brenda: Brown-Brown
6. Kathy: Red-Green
7. Maxine: Brown-?
8. Doris: Brown-Green

III. Glenn Boyd and Doris
1. Glenda: RedBrown-Green
2. Larri(female): Red-Green
3. Jeff: Red-?

IV. Glenda and Michael (DarkBrown/Black-Green)
1. Abby: Brown-Green

V. Larri and Danny (?-?)
1. Pharris: Red-?
2. Dana: BrownBlonde-?
3. Samantha: Red-?

Esther_Helena
Thursday, July 15th, 2004, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=Elistariel]

QUOTE]

Okay, so if Brown is dominant over Blue, and Green is considered "Blue" in terms of genetics; then how did my greatgrandparents have 2, maybe 3 brown eyed children?

dishdawg
Friday, July 16th, 2004, 04:16 AM
I doubt the genotype for green is the same as it is for blue. Now if you said your grandparents both had sky blue eyes and had some kids with brown eyes, I would say there might be reason for concern.

[QUOTE=Elistariel]

QUOTE]

Okay, so if Brown is dominant over Blue, and Green is considered "Blue" in terms of genetics; then how did my greatgrandparents have 2, maybe 3 brown eyed children?

Tore
Friday, July 16th, 2004, 08:17 PM

Because the inheritance of eye color is more complex than what Mendel originally postulated.;)

Esther_Helena
Friday, July 16th, 2004, 08:52 PM
I know eye color is polygenic. Besides, it's always fun to prove those "expert websites" wrong. ;) Now I WILL be conserned if I marry a blue eyed or green eyed person and have a chinquapin-black eyed kid. (that's the phrase we use where I live when the child's eyes are the same color as the pupils)

Phlegethon
Saturday, July 17th, 2004, 03:25 PM
You'll have to breed up north to get rid of those brown eyes. ;)

Esther_Helena
Saturday, July 17th, 2004, 08:45 PM
You'll have to breed up north to get rid of those brown eyes. ;)
:lol: Good thing I find blue eyes most attractive. Now, if MY kids have brown eyes... time for a REALLY long vacation north. :P

Rothgiesser
Friday, August 6th, 2004, 01:39 AM
Blue eyed people aren't superior to brown eyed in any aspect! There's no scientific proofs for such a primitive belief. They are not even more attractive. Just look at Hollywood actors such as Keanu Reaves, Orlando Bloom, Johnny Dep, Mathew Broderick, Al Pacino, Colin Farell, Silvester Stalone and many others... they're all brown eyed, even if you're son is born with blue eyes i don't think he will be more popular with girls than those guys... :)

Phlegethon
Friday, August 6th, 2004, 10:33 AM
I am definitely superior. ;)

rusalka
Friday, August 6th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Course you are but it's not the color blue, it's the Bambi aspect. ;)

Oh and Rothgiesser, let's not forget Ioan Gruffudd in the brown eyed gods list. :)

Phlegethon
Friday, August 6th, 2004, 10:59 AM
I'll give you bam-bam-bam-bi on your butt, uppity Ottoman! ;)

rusalka
Friday, August 6th, 2004, 11:04 AM
I'll give you bam-bam-bam-bi on your butt, uppity Ottoman! ;)
Whoa, hard core! ;)

Is that a promise or what? :D

Frans_Jozef
Friday, August 6th, 2004, 11:00 PM

You sound like a Dalek. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalek

see also:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/

Phlegethon
Friday, August 6th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Nah, I am more of a Klingon - the non-swarthy, Germanic variant. ;)

Rothgiesser
Saturday, August 7th, 2004, 03:51 AM
Course you are but it's not the color blue, it's the Bambi aspect. ;)

Oh and Rothgiesser, let's not forget Ioan Gruffudd in the brown eyed gods list. :)
And also this guy that i dont know the name

rusalka
Saturday, August 7th, 2004, 05:02 AM
And also this guy that i dont know the name
Cute nose. ;)

Dr. Solar Wolff
Saturday, August 7th, 2004, 08:50 AM
If eye color were one gene, two alleles, simple dominance, there would be no problem in calculating the chances your offspring had of having blue eyes. (Hardy-Weinberg) (P+Q)2 , plug in phenotypes. Unfortunately, there are more than one gene involved and probably many alleles, some of which may not be simple dominant or recessive. Nobody has figured out polygenetic inheritance. Unless you have blue eyes and your mate has blue eyes (both homozygous recessive), there is no certainty of what your children will have in terms of eye color.

rusalka
Saturday, August 7th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Since everyone's been on it, I decided to do a chart of the family members I know. Interesting business, inheritance considering eye color, hair color etc. What we were being taught in junior high seems to be a discarded theory nowadays. Left side hair color, right side eye color (duh) :)

Paternal Side:

my father's paternal Grandfather: don't know/don't know
my father's paternal Grandmother: medium brown/blue
(my) Grandfather: medium brown/dark grey-blue
my father's maternal Grandfather: brown/don't know
my father's maternal Grandmother: reddish brown/green
(my) Grandmother: dark auburn/brown
my Grandmother's siblings: 2 sisters blonde/blue, 1 brother brown/brown, 1 sister light brown/ brown, 1 sister reddish brown/blue
my Father: reddish blond changed to auburn/grey-green

Maternal Side:

my mother's paternal Grandfather: dark brown/green
my mother's paternal Grandmother: light brown/not sure but either blue or grey - according to my mother she had very "light" eyes.
(my) Grandfather: darker brown/grey with minor green patches (he had very peculiar eyes, wish I inherited his)
my Grandfather's elder brother: light brown/blue. I haven't seen the others
my mother's maternal Grandmother: golden blonde/blue
my mother's maternal Grandfather: don't know, he's died very young
(my) Grandmother: golden blonde/greyish blue-green
my Grandmother's siblings: younger, golden blonde/deep blue; eldest light ash brown/grey-green
my Mother: brown/light brown-hazel
my eldest Aunt: reddish brown/green
my second youngest Aunt: golden blonde/brown
my youngest Aunt: dark brown/darker brown

I have reddish medium brown hair and grey-green eyes that can look blueish or more green or grey depending on the weather and what color I'm wearing. I never had blonde hair as a kid, it was the same color as it is now. I have no siblings, it'd be interesting to see how they turned out.