PDA

View Full Version : Your Final Thoughts on Material Reality and Consciousness

hdcn
Saturday, April 21st, 2012, 01:46 AM
What are your thoughts on the emergence of consciousness through evolution and it's place in the universe? Is the universe a computer program among many written by an egotistical programmer, enslaving light-forms in human bodies for his own personal entertainment? Or is the Nordid man the highest form of self-realization of the universe? Or are we children of the stars, creating our gods as archetypes and ideals to strive for? Maybe only intuition can guess, but we might not ever know? Which paradigm is best for the folk and what are it's consequences?

This is a very important question at the base of many religions such as Gnosticism, Arian Christianity, Heathenism and Catholicism and I'd love to hear your input.

Kitty
Thursday, June 28th, 2012, 06:37 PM
I don't think consciousness was something that developed within us through evolution but rather it is something that was put within us as we developed in the womb. An inherent desire to ask why and to question our very being. The ability to ask if things are so perfectly designed then who is the supreme one who created it all? No other creature upon this earth aside from man has the ability to discern truth it is not something required to survive. There would be no point to moral consciousness had there been no loving God to place it within our hearts in the first place.

Ęgir
Friday, June 29th, 2012, 03:19 PM
The light is in the body...not the body in the light...so to speak.

ablutive
Wednesday, July 11th, 2012, 02:02 AM
I've been really interested in "artificial intelligence" but more specifically artificial consciousness, largely as an attempt of getting my head round the notion of it all. I have learned very little in this endevour but what I have learned is:

Consciousness is dependent on the body AND the physical environment in which it exists, moves and acts, doesn't mean it isn't "more" but the notion of meaning is derived from specifically sensory experience. Without sensory experience there is no understanding, no language, no conscious thought.

Conscious thought is probably a byproduct of the social impulse rather than the other way around. Highly social animals such as crows, primates, elephants and so on have more sophisticated consciousnes, greater self awareness and other awareness, abstract thought itself is probably a byproduct of language rather than the other way round, at first language would only have dealt in concrete symbols, but these concrete symbols would be associated with a whole host of interconnections within the neural pathways of the brain leading them to take on a more abstract hue and this would then lead to the capacity for abstract language.

I don't find the existence of consciousness that strong of an argument for God or the spiritual, although its often used that way - what really makes *me* question the materialist dogma is the existance and recognition of beauty. Beauty has no reason to exist, we have no reason to recognise it (I mean beauty of a kind that has nothing to do with choosing a mate, the beauty of mountains or the stars or a perfect movement in a peice of music)... beauty to me evokes the existence of something more than the material.

I think we shall have conscious machines within the next few centuries at the latest, but I don't know if they will have the ability to discern the beautiful (or the good without direction).