PDA

View Full Version : Danube Swabian Surname?

Dohtig
Tuesday, April 10th, 2012, 12:21 AM
I didn't know where to post this question so I chose the lounge.

So I met this person recently, and they told me they were German, but when they showed me their last name it was Brünecz. I know cz is patronymic in the Slavic languages, but Brüne is a German surname. I can't find any info on this name. Could it be Austro-Hungarian and combination of the two languages?

Mööv
Tuesday, April 10th, 2012, 01:00 AM
I didn't know where to post this question so I chose the lounge.

So I met this person recently, and they told me they were German, but when they showed me their last name it was Brünecz. I know cz is patronymic in the Slavic languages, but Brüne is a German surname. I can't find any info on this name. Could it be Austro-Hungarian and combination of the two languages?

"cz" exist in Hungarian. So the surname could be a product of Magyarization, as Hungarians were forcing their culture on the foreign population on their soil in the past, mostly on the foreign populations residing in the central parts of the kingdom.

Dohtig
Tuesday, April 10th, 2012, 01:54 AM
"cz" exist in Hungarian. So the surname could be a product of Magyarization, as Hungarians were forcing their culture on the foreign population on their soil in the past, mostly on the foreign populations residing in the central parts of the kingdom.

This was my thought as well. They said they were German, but the spelling had thrown me off. Brüne seems to be a German surname, so I assume your hypothesis is probably correct.

Wulfaz
Wednesday, April 11th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Brünecz seems a hungarian surname, as the spelling is quite typical hungarian, however archaic, as the "cz" is pre-WWI spelling. The hungarian pronounciation might be ['brynɛt͡s] with german spelling brünetz. However the -cz -c -tz ending is typical slavic suffix in the Hungarian and the German too as Clausewitz, Horowitz, etc. I am finding a page with this name among typical hungaricised slavic names in a slovenian site:

"Korosecz Jakab, Melinci, Brünecz Márton, Melinci, prodaja oz. nakup mlina na reki Muri" [Made boldfaced by the present writer.]

http://www.siranet.si/detail.aspx?ID=520758

"Pozderecz Iván, Brünecz Márton, Poredos András, vdova Janzsek Márkné, Dominkó Ferencz, Melinci, prošnja za prepis mlina na reki Muri" [Made boldfaced by the present writer.]

http://www.siranet.si/detail.aspx?ID=521225

This is file about a shipmill chaffer on the Mur (Mura, Müre, Möre) river in the early 20s in the Zala county in Hungary what have had numerous slovenian minority today too. This location is a border region among Austria Hungary and Slovenia nowadays. The regional dialect of the slovenian use the character ü, f.e. Prčkmürsko (Übermurgebiet, Muravidék). All the surname in the above files are typical slavic names with hungarian spelling: Korosecz, Brünecz, Poredos, Janzsek, Dominkó.

At least I guess Brünecz might be originally a slovenian/slovakian/czech surname with hungarian spelling.