PDA

View Full Version : Germanic Formal Wear?

Laetest
Tuesday, February 14th, 2012, 02:46 AM
Formal wear such as suits have a mostly non-Germanic influence/origin. The waistcoat/vest came from Persia and the tie came from Croatia. What would a wholly Germanic version of formal wear be? Could such a thing exist?

Hersir
Tuesday, February 14th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Germanic folk dress (http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=3040)

Laetest
Thursday, February 16th, 2012, 04:05 AM
I meant for men, men don't wear dresses.

Nagelfar
Thursday, February 16th, 2012, 04:31 AM

Go to Scotland sometime.

Angus
Thursday, February 16th, 2012, 05:37 AM

The word "dress" doesn't just refer to something females wear. "Germanic Folk Dress" is just another way of saying "Germanic folk costume". If you go to the link Hersir posted, you'll find what you're looking for, so consider the thread closed. :)

Go to Scotland sometime.

That'd make sense, had he said "skirts". ;)

Ælfrun
Thursday, February 16th, 2012, 06:19 AM
I guess it would be narrowed down to each Germanic culture. For example, in Norway we have the bunad and Scotland has the kilt and a special tartan for each clan. In Germany they have the dirndl and lederhosen. Unless you are talking about dress jackets and gowns, which have not been adopted as formal wear in traditional germanic cultures. For many formal events, women and men in Norway wear the bunad. Modern formal wear is certainly not germanic influenced in my opinion.

Hersir
Thursday, February 16th, 2012, 08:00 AM

There are many bunads for men, and also the German lederhosen and many other styles...