PDA

View Full Version : Harmful Rune Tattoo?

Herewulf
Monday, January 23rd, 2012, 10:45 AM
The other day I booked an appointment to get a runic tattoo done, but since then I've realised the runes I wanted might be potentially 'harmful'

thorn + eoh + daeg = theod = "tribe"

I've just read that thorn (thurisaz) might has connections to giants/thurs?

Am I worrying over nothing?

Hersir
Monday, January 23rd, 2012, 02:13 PM

Yes:) Don't worry

Irmingot
Monday, January 23rd, 2012, 03:05 PM
I made a scarification of a Thurs-rune on my left upper arm like 20 years ago. I don't know if it has meant anything negative for me. I am like chronically followed by bad luck and misery, however I don't know if this is a result from that. I can't remember if this was the case before the scarification, but I suppose things were like this before that too - even if it seems to worsen constantly.

Bearkinder
Monday, January 23rd, 2012, 03:24 PM
Thurisaz IIRC is the name of Skadi's giant father. But using it doesn't mean calling upon giants, or calling them down on you or some such.

Remember, there are a lot of connections to giants int he gods themselves. For instance Thor is half giant. But I don't see wearing his Mjolnir symbol as a worrisome thing to anyone.

GroeneWolf
Monday, January 23rd, 2012, 03:33 PM

Depends on the context you are using them in. Because not every rune-inscription is an act of magic.

arvak
Tuesday, January 31st, 2012, 08:10 PM
Do not use the thorn rune it is linked to Gerd the giantess and its a distress bringer and hex rune, unless you are working with this power I do not advise this. Protection is always the rune algiz, eloyx. valkeria
Direction tyrvaz purpose god Tyr
firing rune; fehu; accumalation into being; Goddess Frejya
new day; dagvaz; awakening; Goddess Hronn
good luck; gebo; gift of recieving; Goddess Gefion
birth; beorkano ;birth an development; Godess Bircha
as an example.

Scario
Tuesday, January 31st, 2012, 08:35 PM
If you are going for the 'TH' of Thurisaz, then it is correct. If you are wanting it for the 'T' sound, go with Tiwaz/Tyr rune.

Granraude
Tuesday, January 31st, 2012, 09:13 PM
Seeing as he wants to write "theod", Thurs would be correct ^^

Remember that a lot of the things people claim some runes represent are just some silly new-age stuff.

Gugnir
Tuesday, January 31st, 2012, 09:19 PM
I personally wouldn't do it. I'm not experienced enough to say whether it could bring you harm if you didn't actually channel its energy, and only used it as writing, but still, my opinion, don't.

-Gugnir

Herewulf
Saturday, February 4th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Thank you all for you replies

With all the conflicting opinions I'm glad I managed to change what I was getting to something else, this time just a germanic pattern around my arm instead of the runes. I think I'll wait a little longer until I get any runes tattooed on me, once I understand them a bit better...

Wilhelm_Arngrimss
Tuesday, February 21st, 2012, 08:51 PM
...once I understand them a bit better...

Always the best choice. I've had a lot of people ask me about Runic markings and tattoos, since I'm the only one who delves into them locally... I tell them all the same thing; go, study their meanings for youself, and not just from one source.

Take time, and don't just read them, LEARN THEM. Feel them. Understand not what people say they represent, but how you feel they are represented to you. Runes, sigils, symbols, etc, are all empowered not only by memetic force, but also by will and belief. If you get something etched on you, then start believing it may bring ill tidings, you can probably accurately guess what happens next.