PDA

View Full Version : Normative Whiteness

TechFin
Monday, January 9th, 2012, 02:58 AM
I've been studying a subject I find interesting... normative whiteness.

Basically... when white Americans see other white people in the media, or in real life, they don't think of those white people as having a race. They see whites as "normal".

In fact, everything in our modern, U.S. society, goes back to Americans thinking white is normal.

But this got me thinking. Does this mean Nordics are more normal, than Italians or Greeks, for example? Is blond hair and blue eyes, more normal, than black hair and brown eyes?

Have you ever noticed this? Normative whiteness?

Endeavor
Monday, July 2nd, 2012, 04:48 PM
In my perception, American whites don't see distinctions between different types of white people. Because our society is becoming increasingly flooded with non-white third-worlders, the distinction between whites becomes somewhat negligible in comparison.

Most young people I know aren't aware that blue eyes and blond hair come from a certain region of Europe. In our current culture of genetics-denial, there is a prevailing attitude that blondeness is just a random trait that has a chance of showing up in any white person.

Catterick
Saturday, February 25th, 2017, 02:01 PM
In the US whiteness stands for Anglicised euromutt. Where people keep an identity such as Irish or Italian they don't identify as White. It's a symptom of deracination that people do confuse zoology with ethnicity there. Same with Blacks.

Looking back at the days of White ethnocentrism, White was not treated as a nationality. Groups like Italians, Hungarians and the like were seen as non-assimilable but White. White was a subset of the human species not an identity, and White was not enough.

GreenHeart
Tuesday, February 28th, 2017, 03:06 AM
I've been studying a subject I find interesting... normative whiteness.

Basically... when white Americans see other white people in the media, or in real life, they don't think of those white people as having a race. They see whites as "normal".

In fact, everything in our modern, U.S. society, goes back to Americans thinking white is normal.

But this got me thinking. Does this mean Nordics are more normal, than Italians or Greeks, for example? Is blond hair and blue eyes, more normal, than black hair and brown eyes?

Have you ever noticed this? Normative whiteness?

I have to say, I have always thought of white people as normal... Insofar as, if I hear the word man, or woman, my first thought is a white man or a white woman. Now I think of a person with brown or blond hair, like people in my family.

I would guess that depending on your ethnicity, whoever you think of as normal will vary. So I would say someone with black hair from a black haired family in a mainly black haired community will think of black hair as normal. Same with blond, red etc. First the family and then the outer community will sway what's considered normal.