PDA

View Full Version : Inbred Mountain Men in the US

feisty goddess
Wednesday, January 4th, 2012, 01:36 AM
My brother is obssesed with the wrong turn movies and thinks they're really hilarious. His wife, my mom and dad, and I were hanging out in the living room one night after my little niece went to bed and somehow it got brought up (lol he was teasing my sister in law because she's really creeped out by it). I expressed interest and he played the trailer on his Ipad. In the beginning I noticed some sketches of these supposed "deformed inbreeds" and I played the trailer over again but I couldn't see it for long enough to get a good look and I'm having a hard time finding anything out about it. I was just wondering if it may have any truth to it, or if these sketches I was seeing in the movie trailer were drawn in real life by an anthropologist or someone who studied it (I don't want to watch the movie because horror really upsets me). Nonetheless it is interesting to me, and can't see why it couldn't be possible, just unlikely. There are a lot of hikers and outdoors people that dissapear mysteriously with no evidence of their body, an accident, or a suspect. It could of course, mean a lot of things but I'm sure a very small number of dissappearances could account for this.

EQ Fighter
Wednesday, January 4th, 2012, 02:17 AM
My brother is obssesed with the wrong turn movies and thinks they're really hilarious. His wife, my mom and dad, and I were hanging out in the living room one night after my little niece went to bed and somehow it got brought up (lol he was teasing my sister in law because she's really creeped out by it). I expressed interest and he played the trailer on his Ipad. In the beginning I noticed some sketches of these supposed "deformed inbreeds" and I played the trailer over again but I couldn't see it for long enough to get a good look and I'm having a hard time finding anything out about it. I was just wondering if it may have any truth to it, or if these sketches I was seeing in the movie trailer were drawn in real life by an anthropologist or someone who studied it (I don't want to watch the movie because horror really upsets me). Nonetheless it is interesting to me, and can't see why it couldn't be possible, just unlikely. There are a lot of hikers and outdoors people that dissapear mysteriously with no evidence of their body, an accident, or a suspect. It could of course, mean a lot of things but I'm sure a very small number of dissappearances could account for this.

LOL! Ok honestly I had no idea of what you were talking about until I looked it up on YouTube.

I assume this crap (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naUUyD-_oPc) is what you are talking about.

If this is what I think it is, that being another stupid physiological nonsense to try and paint I assume "Poor Southern Whites" in a bad light.

And we know which group is most interested in that donít we.

I would say this one is a cut below most of their mud slinging because in the past "Inbreed Southern White's" were always painted as "Stupid" or "Ineffectual", or as buffoons. Think Beverly Hillbillies.

But this seems to be taking it to a new low, as in painting them as not only monsters, but as deformed ans what have you. It is probably a better example of how the Jewish Propaganda mind works than anything else.

I would say you would be well served that anytime you watch an American Movie, to realize they are ALL PROPAGANDA and have an intent to influence the viewer in flavor of some crap that is in their interest.

I think it is wise not to see it because, it is a bit stupid to pay these creeps for producing antisocial trash! :thumbup

feisty goddess
Wednesday, January 4th, 2012, 02:44 AM
LOL! Ok honestly I had no idea of what you were talking about until I looked it up on YouTube.

I assume this crap (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naUUyD-_oPc) is what you are talking about.

If this is what I think it is, that being another stupid physiological nonsense to try and paint I assume "Poor Southern Whites" in a bad light.

And we know which group is most interested in that don’t we.

I would say this one is a cut below most of their mud slinging because in the past "Inbreed Southern White's" were always painted as "Stupid" or "Ineffectual", or as buffoons. Think Beverly Hillbillies.

But this seems to be taking it to a new low, as in painting them as not only monsters, but as deformed ans what have you. It is probably a better example of how the Jewish Propaganda mind works than anything else.

I would say you would be well served that anytime you watch an American Movie, to realize they are ALL PROPAGANDA and have an intent to influence the viewer in flavor of some crap that is in their interest.

I think it is wise not to see it because, it is a bit stupid to pay these creeps for producing antisocial trash! :thumbup

I'm not at all suprised that you didn't understand what I said because 99% of the time you don't, while other more perceptive members usually do.

It has nothing to do with "poor southerners" and I agree the movie reflects some bias but I do think it is possible that there are inbred savages who descend from outcasts because of the lack of transportation in that area. I think it is a little bit ridiculous that you think the movie is painting poor southerners as monsters, by your logic there are horror movies that paint many different types of people in the same way, though I do think the media "tends" to have a bias against southerners more than other groups. Sometimes there can be a little bit of truth in rumors and legends, which is what the movie was based on. I think the innocent characters in the movie are middle class southerners anyway. It's about creepy "freaks of nature" not hardworking poor southerners who live in the country.

EQ Fighter
Wednesday, January 4th, 2012, 03:24 AM
I'm not at all suprised that you didn't understand what I said because 99% of the time you don't, while other more perceptive members usually do.

LOL!
Ok well I will let that slide for now.

The answer is NO, there are NO, monsters running around in Arkansas. And that includes Bigfoot, the Lockness Monster, or other such things.

In fact there is no point on the face of the Earth at this point that has not been photographed by a satellite or other technology.

And generally "Freaks of Nature" as you put it, have less ability than the normal folks. Many if not most of the time it is the, "Normal" people that you have to look out for.

SpearBrave
Wednesday, January 4th, 2012, 03:43 AM
LOL!

The answer is NO, there are NO, monsters running around in Arkansas. And that includes Bigfoot, the Lockness Monster, or other such things.

In fact there is no point on the face of the Earth at this point that has not been photographed by a satellite or other technology.

I don't know about the Big Foot stuff there have been reports of sightings in and near a town in Southern Indiana.:P

http://www.bigfootresearcher.com/2011/12/indiana-sighting-reports-keep-rolling.html

Says he has been seen up near Paoli Peaks a snow ski place, maybe he is there to pick up some snow bunnies and practice his downhill skiing. :D

Anyway I am up in that area a lot, and have most likely walked ever inch of that forest hunting for ginseng, grouse and mushrooms. I have never seen any big foot ''sign'' and I am known for my tracking skills. Also there are a lot of practical jokers in area to. ;)

And generally "Freaks of Nature" as you put it, have less ability than the normal folks. Many if not most of the time it is the, "Normal" people that you have to look out for.

Besides that "Freaks of Nature" would not survive in such isolated areas without constant medical attention. Life in very rural areas of America can still be very harsh.

EQ Fighter
Wednesday, January 4th, 2012, 04:30 AM
Anyway I am up in that area a lot, and have most likely walked ever inch of that forest hunting for ginseng, grouse and mushrooms. I have never seen any big foot ''sign'' and I am known for my tracking skills. Also there are a lot of practical jokers in area to. ;)

Besides that "Freaks of Nature" would not survive in such isolated areas without constant medical attention. Life in very rural areas of America can still be very harsh.

See this is one more example of how carrying a gun, will protect you. :D

So the moral of this story, is 1) carry a gun when you are in the woods. 2) Keep all your clothes on, and only have sex with your GF, when you are back at your bunker with the door closed. ;)

Unlike the people in this movie, who are apparently unarmed, and do the nooky in the worst possible places.

Feyn
Wednesday, January 4th, 2012, 09:43 PM
LOL!

I find your naivety refreshing ^^ First of all, a good third of the face of the earth is pretty much terra incognita, "there be dragons" , or however you want to call it ^^ The reason is, they are covered in deep water. We know more about mars or moon then about our deep oceans. We constantly discover whole new habitats down there. Here 2 new habitats a few decades ago, we had no idea they even existed :

cold water reefs : http://www.lophelia.org/

black smokers: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/savageseas/deep-side-smokers.html

Now lets get back unto land : just that we have a photograph of a piece of land, done by a satelite, does not mean we really know that area. Guess how many new animal species we discover each year ? 2010 we discovered 3 new primate species alone ! Here a bit about how many mammals where discovered between 2000 & 2010 :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammals_described_in_the_2000s

We are accustomed to see only the jungle as "virgin" forests, but also large chunks of the canadian forests are still pretty much as mother nature planted them, and so are large forests in the us. If you get lost in those forests chances are high you will never be found again. Now explain to me again why it is impossible those imbreds could exist ^^ We do know that in remote areas of the us live people who sometimes have no contact to other humans for months on end, and those are just the ones we know of ^^

SpearBrave
Wednesday, January 4th, 2012, 10:13 PM
We are accustomed to see only the jungle as "virgin" forests, but also large chunks of the canadian forests are still pretty much as mother nature planted them, and so are large forests in the us. If you get lost in those forests chances are high you will never be found again. Now explain to me again why it is impossible those imbreds could exist ^^ We do know that in remote areas of the us live people who sometimes have no contact to other humans for months on end, and those are just the ones we know of ^^

Well the myth of ''inbred mountain men'' is one created by the media, that is for sure. If you want to get a better perspective on people who live and lived in Appalachia than read the Foxfire books, I think there are twelve of them in all and it gives you a very detailed explanation on how these mostly Germanic people lived. They were never totally truly isolated for more than year or two at a time and that was in the early days of settlement. True they did hang on to a lot of their culture out of necessity and bad roads, but they were never truly isolated nor were the mountains they live in. If you don't want to read those long books ( which I recommend, they are great ) ask several of our members who are Appalachian, we have a few of them here and one is even a staff member although he lives in Alaska now.

A note about the Foxfire books, some of the chapters are written phonetically and reading may be difficult for non-English speakers, but not impossible.:)

http://www.foxfire.org/foxfirepublications.aspx

I would start with Foxfire 1 and stay in order to 12 before reading their other publications.

Berlichingen
Thursday, January 5th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Ever heard of the "Blue People" of Kentucky?
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kyperry3/Blue_Fugates_Troublesome_Creek.html

Definitely weird, totally harmless though.

The idea of isolated rural folk doing horribly evil things has been in our collective consciousness for centuries. Maybe longer. For example, the (probably apocryphal) story of Sawney Bean, patriarch of a clan of incestuous cannibals who lived in a cave in Scotland in the 16th century.

Barreldriver
Thursday, January 5th, 2012, 09:21 PM
As a former resident of the Appalachian Cumberland Plateau that protrudes into Middle Tennessee I feel obliged to participate in this thread. :D

First the whole inbred mountain man stereotype is overplayed, some cousin marriages and uncle-niece marriages did occur but it was not overly common, the motivations behind these instances varied (some due to a desire to keep land tracts within a family others simple perversion which were prosecuted in local courts).

The stereotype of mountain men being inbred mutants was perpetuated by Yanks who sought to distance themselves from their less wealthy counterparts, a historic example of this conflict can be found in the New York Times archive with the article "Tennessee is not a Hooch Paradise" in which a Tennessean legislative officer stated his discontent with New Englanders who share common ancestry with many of the peoples of Tennessee in that the Yanks seek to discredit the connection and perpetuate the drunken inbred hillbilly stereotype for political reasons.

As for disappearances and such like those Wrong Turn movies it seems to be an amalgamation of local folklore centered around Boog Goblins/Trolls and this inbred stereotype. In my own hometown I was raised on stories of Boog Trolls and Haints abducting children or outsiders if they wander too deep in the woodlands and such.

feisty goddess
Thursday, January 5th, 2012, 09:48 PM
As a former resident of the Appalachian Cumberland Plateau that protrudes into Middle Tennessee I feel obliged to participate in this thread. :D

First the whole inbred mountain man stereotype is overplayed, some cousin marriages and uncle-niece marriages did occur but it was not overly common, the motivations behind these instances varied (some due to a desire to keep land tracts within a family others simple perversion which were prosecuted in local courts).

The stereotype of mountain men being inbred mutants was perpetuated by Yanks who sought to distance themselves from their less wealthy counterparts, a historic example of this conflict can be found in the New York Times archive with the article "Tennessee is not a Hooch Paradise" in which a Tennessean legislative officer stated his discontent with New Englanders who share common ancestry with many of the peoples of Tennessee in that the Yanks seek to discredit the connection and perpetuate the drunken inbred hillbilly stereotype for political reasons.

As for disappearances and such like those Wrong Turn movies it seems to be an amalgamation of local folklore centered around Boog Goblins/Trolls and this inbred stereotype. In my own hometown I was raised on stories of Boog Trolls and Haints abducting children or outsiders if they wander too deep in the woodlands and such.

I realize the appalachian people are not like these extreme stereotypes, and that they're only maybe a little bit more inbred than any other population because of environmental reasons (ie. bad roads, culture). I know inbreeding is looked down upon in every culture. I just thought if there ever were a serious legend that this wrong turn movie is basing it's story on, it might have a little bit of truth in it since, it's entirely possible for a very small number of outcasts to separate themselves from society to escape persecution and out of desperation breed with their family members. It's also entirely possible for these people to become insane from the isolation and revert themselves to a savage-like state after generations of inbreeding. It's probably just folklore, or a projection of something in the collective unconscious, but I just wanted to know if it was a real theory back in the old days.

Barreldriver
Friday, January 6th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I realize the appalachian people are not like these extreme stereotypes, and that they're only maybe a little bit more inbred than any other population because of environmental reasons (ie. bad roads, culture). I know inbreeding is looked down upon in every culture. I just thought if there ever were a serious legend that this wrong turn movie is basing it's story on, it might have a little bit of truth in it since, it's entirely possible for a very small number of outcasts to separate themselves from society to escape persecution and out of desperation breed with their family members. It's also entirely possible for these people to become insane from the isolation and revert themselves to a savage-like state after generations of inbreeding. It's probably just folklore, or a projection of something in the collective unconscious, but I just wanted to know if it was a real theory back in the old days.

I associate it with the bold faced, amalgamation of folklore with other societal views.

Also there are hermit kinds of folks that just wandered off, after some time in the wild and becoming dissociated they could be perceived of as seemingly ghoulish by those who stumbled upon them.

feisty goddess
Friday, January 6th, 2012, 01:06 AM
I associate it with the bold faced, amalgamation of folklore with other societal views.

Also there are hermit kinds of folks that just wandered off, after some time in the wild and becoming dissociated they could be perceived of as seemingly ghoulish by those who stumbled upon them.

I'm not even sure being a hermit has anything to do with not caring about being around other people. It does have to do with not wanting to associate with other people but those who are not persecuted and non mentally ill would not live in the wilderness by themselves on purpose. I've known the hermit type and they still want to be around other people to some extent, just don't want to associate with them, much like young children play parallel. If they would do it with a small group that is bigger than a family they would not really be hermits anyway. Hermits are not really mentally ill, they just have a really odd cognitive preferance, although with the very nature of their cognitive preferance they are probably more prone to mental illness. I don't know that much, but I think someone who wanders off into the wilderness would either be mentally ill (suffering from PTSD, some kind of paranoia, or an anti social personality disorder) or escaping some kind of enemy or persecution. But you're right, I'm sure rumors of evil, spooky people could be started from seeing someone who's wandered off into the wilderness for too long.

Barreldriver
Friday, January 6th, 2012, 01:33 AM
I'm not even sure being a hermit has anything to do with not caring about being around other people. It does have to do with not wanting to associate with other people but those who are not persecuted and non mentally ill would not live in the wilderness by themselves on purpose. I've known the hermit type and they still want to be around other people to some extent, just don't want to associate with them, much like young children play parallel. If they would do it with a small group that is bigger than a family they would not really be hermits anyway. Hermits are not really mentally ill, they just have a really odd cognitive preferance, although with the very nature of their cognitive preferance they are probably more prone to mental illness. I don't know that much, but I think someone who wanders off into the wilderness would either be mentally ill (suffering from PTSD, some kind of paranoia, or an anti social personality disorder) or escaping some kind of enemy or persecution. But you're right, I'm sure rumors of evil, spooky people could be started from seeing someone who's wandered off into the wilderness for too long.

The PTSD route could be valid, after all the mountain men in the 18th and 19th Century were hardened fighters who survived skirmishes with Injuns, or survived fighting in the war against Britain and the war against Washington, veterans of those days who were negatively affected by their days as fighters could have wandered off into the uninhabited parts of Appalachia inspiring local folklore.

Schneider
Friday, January 6th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Ever heard of the "Blue People" of Kentucky?
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kyperry3/Blue_Fugates_Troublesome_Creek.html

Definitely weird, totally harmless though.

Very cool link!

I had long forgotten about a purple guy I saw at a McDonald's.

I was traveling by bus from Florida to New Jersey, the trip took @36 hours. At a stop somewhere along the way I was standing in line at a McDonald's, and noticed a guy in overalls in front of me, he was a strange purple color, and his pores were darker. I didn't stare, but did get a good look at him, at first I thought he might have been a coal miner, and just dirty. But he didn't look dirty, he looked like an average rural caucasian, with purple skin.

Thank you for the link! I had filed that memory under "strange things seen on long bus trips" and forgotten about it.

Edie
Friday, January 6th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I had long forgotten about a purple guy I saw at a McDonald's.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee410/sneakweevil/1618716.jpg

Shadow
Wednesday, April 20th, 2016, 12:27 AM
The topic of inbred mountain men is a touchy one and can be a legal question.

Fact Package: Husband and Wife in the Ozarks get a divorce.
Legal Question: Are they still brother and sister?

I told this years ago and offended a certain female administrator. Change Ozarks to whatever is inoffensive.