PDA

View Full Version : When Do You Take Your Christmas Lights Down?

Hesse
Monday, January 2nd, 2012, 04:22 PM
Yesterday, twas a week after Christmas, twas apparent that there were housesstill decked out in Christmas lights like twas the week before Christmas (not that there is anything wrong with it or surprising about it) but it got me thinking:

Why don't we find out when skadi members take down their Christmas lights?

Apparently some people like to keep the holiday spirit burning long after the holidays, while other's feel the need to move on once the holiday is over.

How about you?

out in the woods
Monday, January 2nd, 2012, 06:18 PM
To me, Yuletide is a several week season, not a day. I don't put my tree up until Mother's night, and Around Jan 6-10 or so, I take down the tree and the multicolored lights, but always leave a string of red LEDs going around the inside of my kitchen/great room. It's cheerful. I also have pastel lights to put up for Ostara/Spring season. I love candles and little twinkly lights better than big rude light bulbs. :)

Huginn ok Muninn
Monday, January 2nd, 2012, 06:54 PM
Well, traditionally, the Twelve Days of Christmas begin on Christmas Day, and end on Epiphany, when the three wise men arrive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Days_of_Christmas

Twelfth Night (also the subject of a Shakespeare comedy) is the final day of this celebration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelfth_Night_%28holiday%29

A recent belief in some English-speaking countries holds that it is unlucky to leave Christmas decorations hanging after Twelfth Night, a belief originally attached to the festival of Candlemas (2 February).

Thusnelda
Monday, January 2nd, 2012, 07:12 PM
My family invests very much efforts into decorating the tree, we even use Christmas tree balls who are a heirloom of my great-grandmother, so they were hand-made and colorfully painted in the early 20th century! :) Decorating the tree properly (our Christmas trees are always around 2 meters tall) takes 4-5 hours. We use quite fresh Nordmann firs and they begin to become dry after around 1,5-2 weeks. But my family has such a strong emotional connection to the Christmas time that we don´t want to discard the tree just after two weeks... :D So the usual time of taking down the Christmas lights (we use real candles, not electric candles) is between 10th and 20th January. The fir needles on the floor are always "great fun"...:P

SpearBrave
Monday, January 2nd, 2012, 08:10 PM
Most years we leave our tree up for about 3-4 weeks after. This year though we are taking it down early because of the wild kitty that seems to think we put the tree up for her to play in. We also have old and handmade glass balls and we are afraid the kitty will break them, this year as she is young and very playful/wild. Most years we don't put electric lights on the tree, just candles.

When we do take the tree down I burn it outside to end the celebrating.

We don't put up any outside lights, just a wreath by the front door. I burn it the same time I burn the tree.

Balders gate
Monday, January 2nd, 2012, 10:12 PM
I made a mistake on the survey. I said I take the tree down within a week after christmas. What I meant to say was we take down the tree usually the first or second week of January.

Ocko
Monday, January 2nd, 2012, 10:49 PM
On the 7th of January, christian's call it the 3 wise men day. It ends the 12 Rauhnaechte, the wild hunt is over then.

That is traditionally when you burn them, it marks the end of the Rauhnaechte.

fire in general is transformative (transforms fuel like wood into heat and light). That is what should start after the Rauhnaechte, when the light is growing and the warmth of springtime should be brought or 'jumpstarted'.

Unity Mitford
Wednesday, January 4th, 2012, 01:39 AM
Twelfth Night, of course ;)

Ĉmeric
Wednesday, January 4th, 2012, 02:13 AM
Our house cannot be seen from the highway & currently only one other person lives on this lane (and he is usually traveling for work) so there is no point for outdoor Christmas lights. The indoor decorations usually come down on January 1, which tends to be the end of the Holiday Season (which starts the Friday after Thanksgiving, which itself falls on the 4th Thurday of November) in the US. Besides I don't like keeping a dead fir tree in the house too long. Wreaths & poinsettias can stay out awhile longer.

Dead Eye
Thursday, January 5th, 2012, 06:34 AM
Normally within a week but they are still up at the moment....probably due to laziness.:D

I don't really like keeping them up after Christmas day because when the 25th is over,i lose the festive feeling.

Frostbite
Thursday, January 5th, 2012, 10:19 AM
We never put them up. We hardly ever even get a tree.

OutlawsnUnderdogs
Saturday, February 4th, 2012, 05:26 AM
I never put them up.... waste of electricity.... and time and effort.... The tree I take down the afternoon of christmas day and burn in the fireplace with all the christmas wrapping....

Waste not, want not.....

Slivers
Sunday, February 5th, 2012, 06:52 AM
I'm somewhat ashamed to admit this- But we have not taken the Christmas tree down yet. :P
I walked past it today and bumped an ornament off and told my dad "Ok, now I'm taking that thing down tomorrow."

p.s. We didn't run the lights on it.

DutchfromHolland
Sunday, February 5th, 2012, 07:04 AM
1-2 weeks after Christmas, because I enjoy keeping them up for New Year's, too.

BroBro
Tuesday, February 7th, 2012, 02:10 PM
I never even put them up.