PDA

View Full Version : Northern German/Dutch Folk Music?

Dohtig
Thursday, December 29th, 2011, 05:07 AM
I have scoured the internet for a while now and can't find any examples of northern German or Dutch folk music. I know what Bavarian and Austrian music sounds like, but I have no idea what it sounds like in the north. Any help would be appreciated.

Schooneveld
Friday, December 30th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Like this?

Best Clogdance i found. (The rest is tainted by multikulti)
7oUJTHApQfw

Frisian
S6V32kDNdp4

Dutch
wjeYkkpeeXg

Thusnelda
Friday, December 30th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I have scoured the internet for a while now and can't find any examples of northern German or Dutch folk music. I know what Bavarian and Austrian music sounds like, but I have no idea what it sounds like in the north.
The source of your problem (which is not finding enough real traditional Dutch and North German folk music) is that these regions have no equally strong level of local patriotism and conservative/patriotic associations or societies for traditional costumes and music compared to Bavaria and the South German regions. Their local traditions have faded with time and only very tiny bits outlasted until today. :| The Northern parts were always more "progressive" than the south who is more conservative, and we all know that "progressivism" isn´t always something positive...

It´s more likely that you see Dutch and Northern German people in bought or copied Bavarian dresses, dancing to Bavarian music (may it be artificial volkstümliche Musik or real Volksmusik), than to see these people in their old regional dresses, listening to old local music.

+Suomut+
Friday, December 30th, 2011, 09:55 PM
@Schooneveld: thank you very, very much for posting those, sir; I, for one, have enjoyed them thoroughly. :) So, the top clip is from a 1956 East German film, correct? If I'm mistaken, then I stand corrected, but please tell me/us the title of it, because I'm fairly interested in watching it in its entirety. ;) :)

Huginn ok Muninn
Friday, December 30th, 2011, 10:51 PM
@Schooneveld: thank you very, very much for posting those, sir; I, for one, have enjoyed them thoroughly. :) So, the top clip is from a 1956 East German film, correct? If I'm mistaken, then I stand corrected, but please tell me/us the title of it, because I'm fairly interested in watching it in its entirety. ;) :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zar_und_Zimmermann

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Czar_and_the_Carpenter

The Czar and the Carpenter (German title:Zar und Zimmermann) is a 1956 East German musical comedy film directed by Hans Müller and starring Willy A. Kleinau, Bert Fortell and Lore Frisch. It is an adaptation of the opera Zar und Zimmermann by Albert Lortzing. It is set around the Russian Czar Peter the Great's secret visit to the Dutch Republic to study shipbuilding in the Seventeenth century.

Seems like the DDR made a few very good films in the 50s. I wish they would be more readily available.

http://www.amazon.de/Zar-Zimmermann-Willy-Kleinau/dp/B00008IDM2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325281969&sr=8-2

Wychaert
Friday, December 30th, 2011, 11:32 PM
The source of your problem (which is not finding enough real traditional Dutch and North German folk music) is that these regions have no equally strong level of local patriotism and conservative/patriotic associations or societies for traditional costumes and music

Yes, you are right, sadly it is disappearing rapidly:(.
Luckily, there are still people who like to play/ dance the folk tunes of days long gone:thumbup

kASREG15oBM
(I know I posted this clip before, but I can't get enough from it:D)

And thank the Gods, we still have the newer recordings of old songs.

jxoNe-5D_M4&feature=related

Dohtig
Saturday, January 28th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I am still trying to figure out how this forum works, so I didn't even know anybody had responded until today.