PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Phone Do You Use?

Nachtengel
Wednesday, December 7th, 2011, 09:20 PM
As the title says, which phone do you use?

A phone is supposed to be used essentially for talking, but that's changed a lot. If you have a phone with operating system etc., do you use any of the extra options frequently?

Is it just me or are all these ultra modern phones, smartphones especially just a tad superfluous?

Thusnelda
Wednesday, December 7th, 2011, 11:26 PM
I just own and use an old Nokia cell phone which is around 5 years old. :) It“s serves its purpose and is neither to small nor to large.

I“m not even interested in all these new tablets, tabloids, pads or how they“re called. Blackberry, Android, IPad, IPhone, IPod...I don“t need this. A mobile telephone with a SMS function and a small camera is enough. I can do everything else with my PC! There“s no need to spend hundreds of Euros on overhyped and overprized products who will be out-fashioned in four months from now. Most people only use 20% of the available functions but waste endless money on a lifestyle and fashion trend. There are objective tests and studies who come to the clear conclusion that Apple products are neither extraordinarily powerful and innovative nor worth their prize. But people keep buying their products because the Apple logo makes someone "cool" and "hip". :| Well, not my world, absolutely not my world.

KingOvGermania
Friday, December 9th, 2011, 05:16 PM
I am an Android user, to be more specific, I have an HTC Evo 4G...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/45/HTC_Evo_4G.jpg

Great all-around smartphone, even though yes, like Thusnelda said, the majority of people use very, very, very little of their phone's potential, it still does just about everything I need... I tend to use it -other than calling- for browsing the Internet when I'm not at home, listening to music either on Youtube or MP3s, or sending emails. The only deep flaw to it: the battery life. REALLY damn short.

AuroraNordalis
Saturday, December 10th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I just own and use an old Nokia cell phone which is around 5 years old. :) It“s serves its purpose and is neither to small nor to large.

I“m not even interested in all these new tablets, tabloids, pads or how they“re called. Blackberry, Android, IPad, IPhone, IPod...I don“t need this. A mobile telephone with a SMS function and a small camera is enough. I can do everything else with my PC! There“s no need to spend hundreds of Euros on overhyped and overprized products who will be out-fashioned in four months from now. Most people only use 20% of the available functions but waste endless money on a lifestyle and fashion trend. There are objective tests and studies who come to the clear conclusion that Apple products are neither extraordinarily powerful and innovative nor worth their prize. But people keep buying their products because the Apple logo makes someone "cool" and "hip". :| Well, not my world, absolutely not my world.

I thought I was the only one who thinks this way save for old people.
I personally think iphones look girly, I do like the look of the black berry but
I'm not paying for a data package that I would rarely use.

Maybe if I had allot of disposable income to thrown around I would get a fancy phone.

If one needs to talk to me then dial the number or e-mail. I don't like the
texting thing unless it's a quick buzz on something.

Neophyte
Saturday, December 10th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Android for me. I want to be able to read the news, check my e-mail, listen to music, and (sometimes) view videos.

Unity Mitford
Saturday, December 10th, 2011, 08:52 PM
a red blackberry curve when my new contract starts :)

currently using my grandpa's phone :P

Mööv
Saturday, December 10th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Regular phone.
I bought the Sony Ericsson w810i 4,5 years ago and still use it. It works fine and at the moment satisfies my needs.

http://st2.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/sonyericsson/sonyericsson-w810-00.jpg

I am planing on getting iPhone in the near future. Not for the part it being fancy and all that but for practical reasons. For example I can develop applications for it which I can later use in the field where normally I couldn't carry a regular computer with me. The reason why Apple and not any other is because I already own an iMac and am very satisfied with it as it's durable and reliable and allows me do my work stress free. So I'm sure the iPhone will serve me well also. But at the moment I don't have that large need for it so I'm sticking with my SE for the time being.

Edie
Sunday, December 11th, 2011, 12:20 AM
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee410/sneakweevil/yuppie80s.jpg

Patrioten
Sunday, December 11th, 2011, 01:22 AM
http://www.sonyericsson.com/pulse/assets/images/handsets/Spiro/se-Spiro-hero-white.png
It would work perfectly for my needs if only the battery life wasn't so damn poor (even with the other technical problems outlined below I'd still be able to use it if not for the battery issue). It's a regular phone, no bells and whistles, yet it eats up the energy like crazy. I can't recount how many times I've been talking to someone and the low-battery signal starts buzzing in my ear.

My last phone was also a sony ericsson, a w610i and it worked like a charm, great battery life too. This phone didn't cost less than that one yet there has been nothing but problems with it. A while back it would freeze on and off so I had to remove the battery to shut it off and start it up again. It's a terrible phone and I feel let down by it, since I specifically bought a sony ericsson because of what little attachment it still has to Sweden.

Frostbite
Sunday, December 11th, 2011, 02:27 AM
HTC evo, but I want an iphone.

Mööv
Sunday, December 11th, 2011, 02:44 AM
A while back it would freeze on and off so I had to remove the battery to shut it off and start it up again.

I had that problem with my phone to, and before it I used z520i and before that one t200 and all of them suffered from the same freezing problem. The problem would occur after a certain time and starts to be annoying. It turned out to be a problem with the battery being somewhat loose inside it so when you shake it the battery would move and cause the aforementioned problem. I solved it by inserting some paper in the battery space (putting it on top of battery so it presses it tight into position when closed).

Herefugol
Sunday, December 11th, 2011, 04:15 AM
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee410/sneakweevil/yuppie80s.jpg

That's so unsophisticated. Can you even text with that? I'm currently on a contract that allows me to send four texts a day:
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s300/AgentJones44/WW2%20Italian/mario3.jpg

On a more serious note, I don't think smartphones are superfluous. I wrote this post on my iPhone. ;)

Ęlfrun
Sunday, December 11th, 2011, 04:29 AM
I use an iPhone, and we have a love/ hate relationship :D

Granraude
Sunday, December 11th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Nokia N8. Symbian OS.

Great phone ^^

Hersir
Sunday, December 11th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I have this android telephone

http://topnews.com.sg/images/Xperia-mini-X10.jpg

I use GPS, call, sms and mp3 player mostly. Very rarely other functions, but alarm, camera and calender comes in handy sometimes.

The screen is too small for my fingers, and the battery time is short. I bought it when my old phone stopped working. I miss having keys to press and the longer battery time of my old cellphone. I don't need all the extra stuff. Facebook and gmail has been nice sometimes, but don't really need them, and I don't like to game on my phone.

Sonim has some great sturdy phones, maybe I will give this phone to my sister and get one of those instead.

http://www.slashphone.com/media/data/796/sonim-land-rover.jpg

http://resources0.mynewsdesk.com/files/1e8d4a6c72932569608d11a8bc9ba7bc/resources/ResourceHiresImage/thumbnails/sonim-xp-3300-force_new_medium.jpg

Thorbrand
Sunday, December 11th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I use this beautiful thing - it's wonderful and when I am out of the room I am not bothered by phone calls I don't want. It never requires charging, it has a classic ringtone and works during power cuts....Obviously I never walk and talk on my phone in the street (thank god)! :D

Erlkönig
Monday, December 12th, 2011, 03:38 PM
The problem with these new smartphones is they are susceptible to malware rootkits. Hackers or even the feds can access your GPS or remotely turn on your microphone and spy on you, even when your phone is turned off. As well as potential access to any information you send via the phone.:thumbdown

Žoreišar
Monday, December 12th, 2011, 05:20 PM
http://www.sonyericsson.com/pulse/assets/images/handsets/Spiro/se-Spiro-hero-white.pngHah. I used that one too, until a recent, fatal throw to the ground put it out of both my and its own misery. Bastard child of a Swedo-Japanese love affair that went downhill a long time ago.

After that short, one-time discourse, I've now returned to old, faithful Nokia. Never fails me.

SpearBrave
Monday, December 12th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I use only a land line. We had a cell phone for about a year, but we never used it much and decided to end it when the contract was over. I remember the days when hardly anybody even had pagers let alone a cell phone and things went along just fine. While I do know phone coverage has gotten better in my area, there are still a lot of places I go where there is no cell coverage. I do see the benifits to having a cell phone, if you live in a area that gets good coverage.

Bernhard
Monday, December 12th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I'm proud to still be phoneless despite pressure from all sides.:D I think it's pretty ridiculous how people think it's impossible to live without a cell phone while people were fine without it 10 years ago. What's even more annoying is that now people have internet on their cell phones they are using it constantly. I saw some guy taking a walk with his dog just the other day and guess what... he was very busy with his cell phone. What's wrong with just taking a walk and enjoying the walk itself, or just be alone with your own thoughts and nothing else?

bęny
Monday, December 12th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I am MEANT to have a blackberry but I lost it (I promise I wasn't drunk), then I had a Nokia, lost it (again, I promise I wasn't drunk) and now I have a SonyEricsson which I had when I was at school. This is in the space of a month.

Neophyte
Monday, December 12th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I am MEANT to have a blackberry but I lost it (I promise I wasn't drunk), then I had a Nokia, lost it (again, I promise I wasn't drunk) and now I have a SonyEricsson which I had when I was at school. This is in the space of a month.

You should get one of these:

http://www.zea.se/images/gammal-mobiltelefon.jpg

Impossible to lose.

bęny
Monday, December 12th, 2011, 07:54 PM
You should get one of these:

http://www.zea.se/images/gammal-mobiltelefon.jpg

Impossible to lose.

With a phone as sexy as the one pictured, I wouldn't lose it as it would be mugged off me!

Plushtar
Sunday, January 15th, 2012, 07:36 PM
I use a Tracfone. I do not have a contract with this company since they operate on a pay as you go basis. I pay $20-$30/month for 600 minutes.

I have the phone numbers of almost every family member but the only people who call me are my great-grandparents; the reason for this I am the only one available to help them during the morning hours.

Primus
Sunday, January 15th, 2012, 10:01 PM
A Nokia E5 smartphone.

renownedwolf
Sunday, January 15th, 2012, 10:20 PM
This! I hate phones! I tend not to use them much.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Z4AruoB3ngo/Te6rZ4g1cLI/AAAAAAAAAPI/lWZyADB3NJ4/s1600/469369%257ETin-Can-and-String-Telephone-Posters.jpg

Uwe Jens Lornsen
Thursday, March 21st, 2019, 01:52 AM
Android .

Started with version 2.3.y
Had some 4.x
Retiring 5.x and 6.x

Now version 8.y

All cheap phones and tablets ,
even of brands like Motorola , Huawei , Samsung .

I dont use the phone and SMS capabillities ,
just internet .

Brands I have not been very comfortable with : Archos .

Other brands I owned : Blaupunkt , ZTE .

Last Brand : Odys , had additionally Russian GPS called Glossnas

Current Phone : 7-inch Odys Pyro Plus 3G ,
4 cores , 2 GB RAM , 16 GB storage ,
no Glosnas , 80 € .

My devices had not many special sensors like compass ,
except the Huawei , but with version 2.3 it is not usable
anymore for the internet .

I rooted the Huawei , but it boots
to the maintanance stage , when
off and connected to charging power .

While attempting to root the Motorola , I
bricked it .

New Androids don't seem to have alternative ROMs
available , as there were some once .

And rooting today involves scripts to download and reboot
to remount all the many partitions , until
the /system partition mounts read-write .

Overall , phones became a raw material to me ,
a "commodity" , and therefore are throw-away products ,
like a coffee to go .

Am really thinking of sinking the old phones in the
garbage bin .

If anyone is interested in older smart phones , send me
a private message .