PDA

View Full Version : Odinic Fear!

KveldulfR
Saturday, December 3rd, 2011, 06:05 PM
Is anyone here afraid to work with Odin in magical or runic practice? He is a dangerous guy. What advice would you give someone who wants to be a "devotee" of Odin?

Lyfing
Sunday, December 4th, 2011, 05:49 AM
My advice would be to get a grip on your fear..

Among those shadowy Edda matters, amid all that fantastic congeries of assertions, and traditions, in their musical Mythologies, the main practical belief a man could have was probably not much more than this: of the Valkyrs and the Hall of Odin; of an inflexible Destiny; and that the one thing needful for a man was to be brave. The Valkyrs are Choosers of the Slain: a Destiny inexorable, which it is useless trying to bend or soften, has appointed who is to be slain; this was a fundamental point for the Norse believer;—as indeed it is for all earnest men everywhere, for a Mahomet, a Luther, for a Napoleon too. It lies at the basis this for every such man; it is the woof out of which his whole system of thought is woven. The Valkyrs; and then that these Choosers lead the brave to a heavenly Hall of Odin; only the base and slavish being thrust elsewhither, into the realms of Hela the Death-goddess: I take this to have been the soul of the whole Norse Belief. They understood in their heart that it was indispensable to be brave; that Odin would have no favor for them, but despise and thrust them out, if they were not brave. Consider too whether there is not something in this! It is an everlasting duty, valid in our day as in that, the duty of being brave. Valor is still value. The first duty for a man is still that of subduing Fear. We must get rid of Fear; we cannot act at all till then. A man's acts are slavish, not true but specious; his very thoughts are false, he thinks too as a slave and coward, till he have got Fear under his feet. Odin's creed, if we disentangle the real kernel of it, is true to this hour. A man shall and must be valiant; he must march forward, and quit himself like a man,—trusting imperturbably in the appointment and choice of the upper Powers; and, on the whole, not fear at all. Now and always, the completeness of his victory over Fear will determine how much of a man he is.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1091/1091-h/1091-h.htm#2H_4_0002

H.M. Chadwick considered Starkad the typical worshiper of Odin..

His story pretty much goes like Odin woke him up in the middle of the night and took him to meet the Aesir. Odin blessed him and Thor cursed him. Odin wanted a sacrifice of King Vikar so they staged a fake one and at the last minute it all became real..

The idea here is that those blessings and cursings are, to say the least, Grim..

http://aj69.tripod.com/ancestry/gautreksaga.html

Later,
-Lyfing

Thorwald
Sunday, December 4th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Is anyone here afraid to work with Odin in magical or runic practice? He is a dangerous guy. What advice would you give someone who wants to be a "devotee" of Odin?

Honestly, yes. The Norse literature does present him as rather treacherous - his concern is not with an individual's well being, but in gathering forces for Ragnarock, and he will betray you to your death to fill the ranks of Einherjers.

Now it may interest you to know that Norse literature is, well, Norse. Other Germanic peoples may have different traditions. The Anglo-Saxons call him Woden and see him more as supreme magician among the gods than a war leader. "Woden" is more approachable than "Odin."

However, it should be pointed out that Odin seems to the most popular "patron god" behind Thor, and Odin's followers in modern Heathenry are not dropping dead left and right as far as I know.

I have an interest in Runes and Galdor and so approach Woden/Odin when I study these things, but I'm also cautious when doing so. The runes are cool, but it seems safer and far more enjoyable to warm up to one of the other gods like Thor and Freyr.

velvet
Sunday, December 4th, 2011, 01:14 PM
The Valkyrs; and then that these Choosers lead the brave to a heavenly Hall of Odin; only the base and slavish being thrust elsewhither, into the realms of Hela the Death-goddess: I take this to have been the soul of the whole Norse Belief. They understood in their heart that it was indispensable to be brave; that Odin would have no favor for them, but despise and thrust them out, if they were not brave

If I recall correctly, it is Freya and not Odin who has the first choice, she choses those who go to Folkvangr (not Hel), and the remaining half goes to Odin.

I'd also dispute the alleged "fatalism", since Wyrd does allow (in limits) to change the fate.

This piece by Carlyle makes Asatru indeed look like the most grim faith one could have and if you fail to be the super-hero, be doomed to the eternal flames of Hell (hell because this reminds more on purgatory than anything else). Imho there's huge lack in basic understanding of function and motivations which results in a quite questionable interpretation.

KveldulfR, but I agree with Lyfing's advice to get a grip on your fear. There's not so much need for. But, when you employ magic to get in contact with forces that might not function according to (faint-hearted) human imaginations and expectations (which really isnt the same as "linkish" or whatever judging people called it), it is always wise to do that with caution (caution =/= fear). All gods, also the "good" ones, are not easy to deal with, they dont like being tricked and cheated. Also, dont do magic easily or just so, think well whether what you want is important enough to bother gods with it. If so, approach them without fear and leave expectations out, be open to take what you get from them.

Niall Noigiallach
Sunday, December 4th, 2011, 01:47 PM
As a former Goetic co-worshipper with Nordic ties how do your spiritual experiences come into being? I mean this in the least possible antagonistic way, I simply wish to know how it manifests for you that have no 'official' binding. Have any physical manifestations come about or are your experiences purely in the mental realm?

As a token of my sincerity and validation of matters in these realms, please take this warning as writ; lay off the physical manifstation of thurizas unless you have strict matters to deal with it.. heh... bad mistake.

Ocko
Sunday, December 4th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I am an Odin's man and have no fear of him, in the contrary he gave me peace. He is. My clan eldest, he deserves respect but he also gives respect.

Odin's goals are among others, to have FREE man in his keng, people who are active and work on the same goal. He looks for warriors, not necessarily in armed combat but in fight against the forces of darkness.

Connected to that he also tries to improve his people, with growing tasks, with wisdom, with insights and abilities.

That he is treacherous, is not my experience, there is Clanship and loyalty of the Sippe/clan between him and his followers.

The ultimate loyalty belongs to your leader to whom you gave an oath. That oath overrides families ties. The loyalty thing at one point becomes a test for you. do you follow Odin or do you follow other things.

If Odin tests your loyalty it his not him who is treacherous, it might just be you. That those tests are not necessarily funny or easy ones is out of the question.

The question for you is: Do I follow Odin or not.

The Nibelung saga has a character named Hagen, most likely it is Odin. He is not treacherous but someone with his own agenda. you should emulate Odin, that is what he wants.

Kauz R. Waldher
Sunday, December 4th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I am an Odin's man and have no fear of him, in the contrary he gave me peace. He is. My clan eldest, he deserves respect but he also gives respect.

Odin's goals are among others, to have FREE man in his keng, people who are active and work on the same goal. He looks for warriors, not necessarily in armed combat but in fight against the forces of darkness.

Connected to that he also tries to improve his people, with growing tasks, with wisdom, with insights and abilities.

That he is treacherous, is not my experience, there is Clanship and loyalty of the Sippe/clan between him and his followers.

The ultimate loyalty belongs to your leader to whom you gave an oath. That oath overrides families ties. The loyalty thing at one point becomes a test for you. do you follow Odin or do you follow other things.

If Odin tests your loyalty it his not him who is treacherous, it might just be you. That those tests are not necessarily funny or easy ones is out of the question.

The question for you is: Do I follow Odin or not.

The Nibelung saga has a character named Hagen, most likely it is Odin. He is not treacherous but someone with his own agenda. you should emulate Odin, that is what he wants.

And that is exactly what I do. I think people see the LHP as evil or dark. I know some RHP Heathens who are folkish but are not willing to wage war for their tribes or their faith. They are content in their small numbers. The LHP is the one a Wotanist must follow. People are peaceful or passive becasue they think that makes them "modern". All it really makes them is weak. Just use the Harii tribe for example, the concept of Einherjar and the Wild Hunt. How can one call themselves a "Heathen or Wotanist" and not acknowledge these things? I'll tell you why ... christian influence! Peace, passivity and diplomacy are traits of the modern man, of the christian man. Throughout history we are known as barbarians, we sacrificed humans ... in the name of our GODS! But look at the Romans, who sacrificed humans to the beasts of the arena for FUN and SPORT. But we were the barbarians? Every effort has been made to destroy us. Dating all the way back to the beginning of recorded history. But we are still here. Not because of our diplomacy or working relationship with the enemy ... but because we are warriors. Because we will not fade that easily. We are still here, we are still strong and we WILL rise up again. The Cult of Wotan lives on!!!

Ocko
Sunday, December 4th, 2011, 06:23 PM
When your clan-chief believes you do better in his realm than on earth than so be it. I doubt that he would betray you and send you to a bad place, like Hel.

You do the task at hand and you do it the best way you can. Whatever the result is less important (getting killed or win) important is your loyalty to your chosen God.

Your fear stands between Odin and you. That is not the correct relationship.

To become fearless you have to get rid of all your shadows, of all that holds you back.

VikingSpirit
Sunday, December 4th, 2011, 11:29 PM
It is true that Odin is a demanding god who wants to see his folk strong, proud and battlesome. He hates those who let themselves go and will eventually punish them. It is our duty to follow him till the bitter end. If one doesn't want to go that glorious way, he might be better off with the false Jew god.