PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Magic

Evolved
Wednesday, July 7th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Ontonagon County in Michigan's Upper Peninsula is my favorite spot on earth so far. I spent my summers in that area when I was younger. It is right on the shore of our cleanest lake, Lake Superior, so you can go fishing and not worry about catching something nasty from your food. The summer temperature of this region is just right for me, very mild with a breeze from the lake. The mornings are cold and dewey. The night is pitch black and you can see the stars perfectly. There is beautiful wilderness to explore with many small-medium waterfalls and magical little agate coves. It is not a highly populated area - according to the 2000 census the whole county has only 7,703 residents and 97.2% are White. By my observation overwhelmingly the people living there could be described as generally "Nordish" of Old American, Germanic, Scandinavian, Finnish, & Polish stock. The people are of course outdoorsy but also much more neighborly than the typical antisocials of the suburbs. For me, the magic of being in the wilderness is about more than just beautiful scenery. You rediscover some part of your spirit which gets killed in the suburbs and cities. You feel more human inside. :)

[Statistics (http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/26/26131.html)]

[more photos (http://www.ontonagonmi.com/album/index.htm)]

Telperion
Wednesday, July 7th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Lake Superior is one of the most beautiful places in North America, though the region does not seem to receive many visitors. That may be just as well, since a relative dearth of tourists helps to preserve the wilderness.

Taras Bulba
Wednesday, July 7th, 2004, 09:05 PM
I love the Upper Penisula. It's a shame I'm not able to got there as often as I would like.

northwind
Friday, August 6th, 2004, 05:09 AM
Nigroids are invading the southern up around the iron mountain area in increasingly dangerous numbers. this is basically a decent White area.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Friday, September 3rd, 2004, 03:55 AM
I have noticed the Manifest Destiny pattern set by the Anglo-Americans in the area. They seem to have hugged the Canadian border in their emigration westwards. You can see this when you check the placenames by looking up the Google Directory in the Regional section, as the localities often match ones from English or British areas originally.