PDA

View Full Version : Old Nordic Rune Tattoo and Clothes

Wolfmother
Wednesday, October 5th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Greetings friendly-folk!

I know the title may seem a bit weird, but I think it covers the most!

It's very late here in Denmark and I'm actually going to school tomorrow quite early, so I'll try to make it quick! I could elaborate / answer questions tomorrow morning in school if I remember to check the thread for updates :)

Here goes:

I'm heading to London next week with 2 friends of mine, and we're going to stay at one of my friends sister and have some crazy nights :) I've been saving for this trip a long time and I'm 100% sure that I'll get a tattoo this time!

As I've always been facinated by the old nordic vikings and sagas I'm 90% sure I'll get a tattoo with a rune word or a rune symbol.

What I ask from you guys: Does anyone have some cool viking/rune-related tattoos that they want to show me? And if you're a kind soul, would you please contribute with some good ideas to a nice tattoo? I'm thinking of getting it on my underarm, along the wrist :)

I'm open for all kinds of suggestions, and I've thought abit about some myself:
A old nordic symbol, a famous viking saying in old nordic runes, something related to me - translated in runes :) I hope you guys have some good suggestions for me! I'd be thrilled to hear them :) I hope this is not too much to ask for, as I'm quite new on the forums :)

If you want to know abit about me, here goes: http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=144870

The second thing on my mind: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Christian-krohg-leiv-eriksson.jpg

I've always wanted this medieval/viking looking shirt in yellow or any other color. I really like the shape and the casuality of them! It would also be cool to have embroidery on the edges like that one has :)
- Does anyone know where I can get shirts like these? Would be reallyyy sweet!

Questions? Just ask! :)

Thank you all so much in advance :)

G.P.

Scario
Thursday, October 6th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Tattoo - Wolfs hook. I have one on my left arm between elbow to wrist.

Lyfing
Thursday, October 6th, 2011, 02:44 AM
I give thee to Othin..

http://www.inchaos.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/600px-Valknut.svg_.png

Later
-Lyfing

Wolfmother
Thursday, October 6th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Grayscouts and Lyfing

Would you like to elaborate on why you think these would be a nice tattoo to have? Also, would you like to explain them and their meaning for me? Just shortly :)

Thanks alot!

Edit: Just got home from school and suddenly it hit me. Daniel Agger. A Danish football player from Liverpool. He's got some sick tattoos!
I seriously like the quotes he's got, the one being:
"Death is certain, its hour is not"
and my favourite:
"Pain is temporary, victory is forever"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1355405/Daniel-Agger-shows-tattoos.html

Do you guys happen to know anyone on the board that are particularly good with runes? I might consider going for "Pain is temporary, victory is forever" in old runes :)

I'm still open for good suggestions though!

Thanks alot in advance, again :)

Lyfing
Thursday, October 6th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Hey,

Pretty much the Valknut is taken as "the knot of the chosen"..as in the Einherjar who are Odin's chosen in Valhalla..

..it's probably a "ring of flikering flame"..like around Brunhilda..and has that part in a sacred marriage of gaining mead..

..and it means "I give me to Odin"..he might not want you though..;)

Later,
-Lyfing

Granraude
Friday, October 7th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Do you guys happen to know anyone on the board that are particularly good with runes? I might consider going for "Pain is temporary, victory is forever" in old runes :)

Go for it in the old language as well then ^^

Remember, the Elder Futhark was used BEFORE the Vikings came in to history.

Scario
Friday, October 7th, 2011, 12:50 AM
I got the Wolfshook because it is the symbol of a runic school that I am learning from. Vertically it means Lightning, Horizontally it means werewolf. As for the Valknut, do not get it unless you plan to give yourself to Odin. That includes being prepared to live a life of constant tests and pain. Some believe that you will also die an agonizing death. Now if you get a runic message, as you hinted at, find out the Old High German text, then convert into runes. If you need help with OHG, send me an email.

Granraude
Friday, October 7th, 2011, 01:45 AM
The wolfshook/wolfsangel does not belong to any known runic alphabet/futhark, so, what are you studying exactly?

Or are you talking about the BS armanen runes?

Ælfrun
Friday, October 7th, 2011, 02:00 AM
The wolfshook/wolfsangel does not belong to any known runic alphabet/futhark, so, what are you studying exactly?

Or are you talking about the BS armanen runes?

I only follow the Futhark Runes :D I will eventually get them all tattooed up my legs :D

Wolfmother
Friday, October 7th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Greetings again everyone - and thanks for all the helpful answers!

@ Granraude - I've not yet gotten 15 posts and therefore can't answer your PM, I'll write you when I'm on 15 posts or more :)
But when I said "old runes" I was talking about the runes that the vikings in Norway, Iceland, Sweden, and Denmark used. I don't know much about it, but I do know that there is the "Elder Futhark" and "Younger Futhark".
So the elder one is used before the vikings came to be, right?
Did the vikings use the younger Futhark or the Anglo-Saxon runes?
I really need to know for sure as it is the viking runes I want :) Hehe

@ Grayscouts - Well, I'm not sure if I really want an agonizing death :>
It's a beautiful sign though! I might consider getting it another time :)

@ Lyfing - Like said, I'm not sure if I'm ready to commit myself to an agonizing death, hehe - but I appreciate you telling me about it! I'll consider it for another time :) Thanks!

Also - I think the Wolf Hook would be abit frowned upon at the place I'm living, as the symbol unfortunately has been used in negative situations. Not that I don't respect it at all - no offense :)

Cheers!

Granraude
Friday, October 7th, 2011, 01:19 PM
The vikings used variations of the Younger Futhark.

I like this set myself. Used in Denmark and Norway =)

http://www.arild-hauge.com/arild-hauge/rune-danskeruner.gif

Oslaf
Friday, October 7th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I might think about getting some Anglo-Saxon runes for myself. I have to figure out what they'd say though.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/eb/Beagnoth_Seax_Futhorc.jpg/500px-Beagnoth_Seax_Futhorc.jpg

velvet
Friday, October 7th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Now if you get a runic message, as you hinted at, find out the Old High German text, then convert into runes. If you need help with OHG, send me an email.

Why should he use Old High German? Doesnt make much sense :)

But agreed, it should be in the old language, of his area (Bornholm), so Old Danish from the 8th/9th century.

Did the vikings use the younger Futhark or the Anglo-Saxon runes?
I really need to know for sure as it is the viking runes I want :)

Like Granny suggested, when you've converted the saying into your local old language, then go to use the Younger Futhark he posted, since it's the appropiate set for the time and area.

Something to the runes in general. When you write something with runes, it becomes a galdr, a magic spell. You even carve it in an act of self-sacrifice into your flesh. The difficulty with magic spells is that they tend to backfire, so chose your words wisely :)

The sword Thyrfing got a galdr carved into it that made it an always-winning sword, it fights by itself and kills(wins) everyone. That certainly was not intended, but this is the crux with magic spells.

Just saying, because "Pain is temporary, victory is forever" can backfire even more than the dedication to Odin and the painful death that is the entry price for Valhalla. You see, you experience a painful death only once, while temporary pain can potentially last forever, depending on by whom/from what perspective "temporary" gets defined.

Lyfing
Saturday, October 8th, 2011, 12:09 AM
@ Lyfing - Like said, I'm not sure if I'm ready to commit myself to an agonizing death, hehe - but I appreciate you telling me about it! I'll consider it for another time :) Thanks!

You're welcome..

Among those shadowy Edda matters, amid all that fantastic congeries of assertions, and traditions, in their musical Mythologies, the main practical belief a man could have was probably not much more than this: of the Valkyrs and the Hall of Odin; of an inflexible Destiny; and that the one thing needful for a man was to be brave. The Valkyrs are Choosers of the Slain: a Destiny inexorable, which it is useless trying to bend or soften, has appointed who is to be slain; this was a fundamental point for the Norse believer;—as indeed it is for all earnest men everywhere, for a Mahomet, a Luther, for a Napoleon too. It lies at the basis this for every such man; it is the woof out of which his whole system of thought is woven. The Valkyrs; and then that these Choosers lead the brave to a heavenly Hall of Odin; only the base and slavish being thrust elsewhither, into the realms of Hela the Death-goddess: I take this to have been the soul of the whole Norse Belief. They understood in their heart that it was indispensable to be brave; that Odin would have no favor for them, but despise and thrust them out, if they were not brave. Consider too whether there is not something in this! It is an everlasting duty, valid in our day as in that, the duty of being brave. Valor is still value. The first duty for a man is still that of subduing Fear. We must get rid of Fear; we cannot act at all till then. A man's acts are slavish, not true but specious; his very thoughts are false, he thinks too as a slave and coward, till he have got Fear under his feet. Odin's creed, if we disentangle the real kernel of it, is true to this hour. A man shall and must be valiant; he must march forward, and quit himself like a man,—trusting imperturbably in the appointment and choice of the upper Powers; and, on the whole, not fear at all. Now and always, the completeness of his victory over Fear will determine how much of a man he is.

..ready yet..??

Later,
-Lyfing

Rothhammer
Saturday, October 8th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Also - I think the Wolf Hook would be a bit frowned upon at the place I'm living, as the symbol unfortunately has been used in negative situations. Not that I don't respect it at all - no offense :)

Cheers!
I'm not trying to snap at you for your train of thought. Really. I'm just explaining my view. I had second guessed myself at one point as to whether or not I felt comfortable with getting the Icelandic staves Ginfaxi and Gapaldur tattooed to my feet because I'm a boxer and a Combat Medic because Ginfaxi may be taken for as a swastika. I've obviously changed my mind since. The rest of the world fears a celebration of Germanic heritage. Show pride around the wrong people and they call you a Nazi, regardless of whether or not you have Nazi-related symbols tattooed to your body. I believe we should celebrate Germanic heritage, regardless of how it strikes others. The disillusioned and disconnected need to see their Volk stand proud. They need an example.The minorities need to see us stand proud to see that we're strong as a people and whether they learn to respect us or fear us, they'll learn not to call us Nazis. They'll call us the Germanic Volk.

Granraude
Saturday, October 8th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Well, he says he want old runes, so I really don't see why anyone would suggest something from the Armanen runes.

The wolfsangel is not even a rune proper.

arvak
Saturday, October 8th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Go for the Algiz rune it represents the power of protection and is the mark of the valkeria who are our spirit guardians.

Wolfmother
Saturday, October 8th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks to everybody contributing to this thread! It really helps me alot, and I'm alot more wise on the subject now :)

@ Granraude - Thanks for being so helpful! :) You're totally right, I do want the Younger Futhark runes, I am sure of that now. I also think that those are the most viking-related runes and like people mentioned: those were mainly used by the vikings. Now I just need to find out how I'll put them together to form the quote I'd like. If anyone has some suggestions or feel that there's something I should know, please do contribute :)

@ Velvet - Thanks for pointing this out for me! It means alot!
I'm not sure how to say this in a proper way for you and the other guys to fully understand it. I mean nothing negative about it, but you talked about the magic/"galdr" that comes with the runes - and I've given it some thought, and I'm quite sure I'll still do it - I do see your point and I really do take it serious, but without frowning upon it, I still believe the tattoo to be.. well.. a tattoo - and I'd like to think of it that way :) Right now it is hard for me to believe that anything unfortunate could happen for me if I got this quote in runes on my wrist/underarm - But I won't say that it's not possible. I'm a youngling and there's still lots of stuff I have to learn on the way as I live my life, so this is something that could take time for me to fully understand. (If you get where I'm going with this). That said - I'm really glad you told me and I'll be sure to give it some thought! If you support my decision, I'd still like to hear your thoughts, if you've got any - and if you could help me out with how I should get the tattoo done in a good way and get it fully correct, I'd be thankful! Cheers Velvet - and thanks alot!

@ Arvak - Thanks alot for mentioning it! I will give it a read on wiki :)

@ Rothhammer - I totally agree with you! You made a really good point there :) I've never really thought about it in that sence :) Thanks!

@ Lyfing - Interesting read! To be totally honest with you, I don't believe that I'm ready to put all fear behind me. I'm still young and I've got lots of things to learn in the future. Getting a Valknut would be something I'd have to consider alot more - I must say though, it's a really beautiful and powerful symbol!

@ Oslaf - Sounds so great! :) I'd like to hear what you've come up with if you are serious about getting those runes done!

Thanks for taking your time to help me out here, I'm honored!

*Kneel

Wolfmother
Monday, October 10th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Right! So I think I'm nearly done now.

Granraude has been kind to help me out here. And this is what I've come forth to:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff30/Bulewathion/FinalRuneword.jpg

and

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff30/Bulewathion/RunesUnderarm.png

I will have to get the right "a"s in the words Pain and temporary, as seen in the first image i was unsure on whether to use the o/a or simply just a, as seen in this picture Granraude sent me:

http://www.arild-hauge.com/arild-hauge/rune-danskeruner.gif

I think I'll get in on my underarm/wrist like showed on the paint picture.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed and helped me with suggestions!

Any final thoughts? :)

Cheers brothers!

Edit: Found a mistake and corrected it in the first picture from photobucket. So there is still a mistake in the second picture, but that picture just shows how I will get it done and where, so no probs! :)

Rothhammer
Monday, October 10th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I like the placement on the arms. I do, however, agree that you should translate it into an older form of Germanic language before translating into runes, but that's more personal preferences than anything. Definately is gonna look nice either way.

Wolfmother
Saturday, October 22nd, 2011, 08:14 PM
Hi again everyone!

Again, thanks to everyone who've contributed to this thread and helped me out in any way!

I'm back from London and I've had the tattoo for 10 days now, and it's still healing :)

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff30/Bulewathion/TenDays.jpg

Cheers people of Skadi!