PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Pople Hate Redheads in England? the Redhead Stereotype That Is....

Falcon
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Usually blondes are seen as the best, brunettes trailing second and the redheads along with swarthy Mediterraneans and Slavs as last.
If the fascination with blondes is their ultra Aryan trait of Halstatt Nordic being mixed with them, then the RedHeads, who also symbolize an ultra Aryan white trait of milky whiteness and green eyes are stil seen as inferior?
Why?
Has it something to with their being country folks with little sophistication and not any appreciable intellect?

Hamar Fox
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Usually blondes are seen as the best, brunettes trailing second and the redheads along with swarthy Mediterraneans and Slavs as last.

:confused Are Mediterraneans and Slavs hair colours?

If the fascination with blondes is their ultra Aryan trait of Halstatt Nordic being mixed with them, then the RedHeads, who also symbolize an ultra Aryan white trait of milky whiteness and green eyes are stil seen as inferior?

Do you really think 11 year olds who make fun of ginger kids are working to a clearly defined racial theory? Btw, redheads aren't made fun of at all. Ginger men are mocked by childish people, mainly because they're considered unattractive. Lots of men like ginger women, however, including myself. I'm not really sure where or how the idea of making fun of gingers originated. Maybe it has origins in the old Saxon invader/native Briton divide. That's pure speculation, though. But the idea that anyone hates redheads or gingers is absurd.

Why?
Has it something to with their being country folks with little sophistication and not any appreciable intellect?

Um, probably not.

Falcon
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Mediterraneans referred to black hair and Slavs referred to dark brown hair
I wrote that to emphasize their skin color and features and not exactly their hair color.....

Who are you to say ginger men are unattractive while ginger women are pretty?
:thumbdown

That is exactly analogous to the Jewish Media saying
White Man is unattractive but White woman is beautiful so pair her with a negro or a darkie?

Sybren
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011, 12:03 PM
:yawn

These pigmentation threads are getting boring...

And yes, i should just stay away from them then ;)

The Aesthete
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I love red hair!

Nordids can also have red hair

SpearBrave
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011, 12:07 PM
As a brown haired person myself, I think this thread is silly and what is the purpose of it anyway?

Hamar Fox is right, I think this is based on juvenile teasing, most of this comes from that show South Park where they make fun of gingers.

Besides that I am attracted to red haired women, I have been living with one for 12 years and have been having fun ever since.;)

Hamar Fox
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Mediterraneans referred to black hair and Slavs referred to dark brown hair

Slavs have the same range of hair colours we do. Meds can also have more than black hair.

I wrote that to emphasize their skin color and features and not exactly their hair color.....

There's no racial hierarchy, implicit or not, I know about that attempts to rank hair colour and ethnicity commensurately with one another. That is, there's no scale that mishmashes terms like this: Nordics = blondes > light brown hair > gingers = Slavs = Mediterraneans

Who are you to say ginger men are unattractive while ginger women are pretty?
:thumbdown

I said that's the common perception.

That is exactly analogous to the Jewish Media saying
White Man is unattractive but White woman is beautiful so pair her with a negro or a darkie?

Nowhere have I implied gingers should pair with non-gingers.

Fiona
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I think falcon is saying it's more than pigmentation. Gingers are a differnt 'type'. As I've said, there are gingers that are not red or orange but gray.

Einarr
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I think falcon is saying it's more than pigmentation. Gingers are a differnt 'type'. As I've said, there are gingers that are not red or orange but gray.

What do you mean?

Fiona
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011, 01:27 PM
That it's a racial, type not just a pigmentation. I think gingers often have other features that are unique to them like the face structure, often they have curly hair.

Einarr
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011, 01:37 PM
That it's a racial, type not just a pigmentation. I think gingers often have other features that are unique to them like the face structure, often they have curly hair.

Disagree, and why do you people keep saying "gingers?"

The Intellectual
Friday, September 23rd, 2011, 06:12 AM
I don't hate gingers, but I think they're ugly. They're not very intelligent at least all the gingers I've encountered. Udmurts, a Uralic people, have the highest rate of gingerness. Maybe gingerness is from Uralic admixture.

Unregistered
Monday, September 26th, 2011, 12:04 AM
I don't hate gingers, but I think they're ugly. They're not very intelligent at least all the gingers I've encountered. Udmurts, a Uralic people, have the highest rate of gingerness. Maybe gingerness is from Uralic admixture.

What precisely about hair pigment influences intelligence? Care to link so scientific paper on this subject?

I have beautiful medium red, very straight hair. It shines like gold in the sunshine. I love it.

I am extremely intelligent.

I am not ugly.

I know many, many more like me.

Hesse
Monday, September 26th, 2011, 03:45 AM
What precisely about hair pigment influences intelligence? Care to link so scientific paper on this subject?

Nothing. Hair colour does not influence intelligience.

Hamar Fox
Monday, September 26th, 2011, 11:28 AM

Yeah, I think so. I mean everyone knows that the Irish are by far the most Uralic admixed race on Earth. Most gingers I see are almost full-blown Mongoloids. Whenever I see one, I hide my dog in a heartbeat.

On their attractiveness, I' d have to tell you that the only older woman I've ever been attracted to (they're not usually my thing) is a ginger.

There's also no relation between gingerness and intellect as far as I've ever observed.

Vectis
Monday, September 26th, 2011, 01:13 PM
I am researching an essay into the attractiveness of various hair colours. According to to a survey of 200 people in Oxfordshire, 173 thought ginger is unnattractive. In the Reason box someone put 'becasue they are usually pasty and have freckles' and another said ' a sign of Irish descent' . Oxfordshire is the wealthiest and most conservative part of England (home of PM David Cameron), I have a feeling if i'd have asked in the more working class north west for example where most people are at least 1/8 from the celtic fringe, the results would have been different.

I think the general aversion ginger hair is as much about historic reasons as sexual attraction. The Irish have traditionally been enemies of the anglo-saxons in England with the IRA etc so people see them negatively, but in USA and Australia there is a sense of pride in their celtic anscestors, since most of them have more celtic blood than anglo-saxon.

From my experience true ginger hair in the sense of bright orange only occurs in people with some kind of Scottish or Irish blood. Norwegians & some Germans or Slavics can have a kind of chestnut tinted hair but its nothing like the type of the celts.
Personally I wouldn't have a ginger partner, simply because the skin tone they tend to have is too pale for my liking. I know pale skin is beautiful and a sign of white purity but there is such a thing as too pale, especially in these days of global warming where you need to be able to tan to avoid sunburn maybe thats why everyone loves nordics because they have very light hair and eyes but tan well in summer. Not too many of them here on the Isle of Wight unfortunately

Norrøn
Monday, September 26th, 2011, 03:18 PM
The "modern view" portrayed on South Park is nothing more than a retarded idea originating from the dark ages. The hair reflects the soul, and therefore red=evil.

Why England in particular "hate redheads" would (in old times) be linked to the Celtic inhabitants and their conflicts with invading Romans, and later conflicts with invading Germanics.

In newer history, my guess would be the artificial creation of differences between nobility and working class.

Working class working in the sun-nobility wanted to appear different-nobility not in the sun.

Working class started working in mines-nobility wanted to appear different-nobility went out in the sun.

Redheads stereotype being white with red hair= not desirable according to "modern" standards = deemed less intelligent and less "sexy".

This thread should be deleted..

Hamar Fox
Monday, September 26th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I am researching an essay into the attractiveness of various hair colours. According to to a survey of 200 people in Oxfordshire, 173 thought ginger is unnattractive. In the Reason box someone put 'becasue they are usually pasty and have freckles' and another said ' a sign of Irish descent' . Oxfordshire is the wealthiest and most conservative part of England (home of PM David Cameron), I have a feeling if i'd have asked in the more working class north west for example where most people are at least 1/8 from the celtic fringe, the results would have been different.

The 'pasty and freckles' comment strikes me more of something someone with an American- influenced ethnic fetish would say. 'Pasty' was never used as an insult in Britain before the invasion of the American beauty ideal. I also don't see much point in bringing up Oxford as the heartland of Anglo Saxon Britain when the example you used, Cameron, has obvious Scottish and Jew roots. Oxford and Cambridge have some of the highest 'white other' populations in the country (nearly 10%), no doubt because of their university populations. I'd never, ever consider those places particularly English.

I think the general aversion ginger hair is as much about historic reasons as sexual attraction. The Irish have traditionally been enemies of the anglo-saxons in England with the IRA etc so people see them negatively, but in USA and Australia there is a sense of pride in their celtic anscestors, since most of them have more celtic blood than anglo-saxon.

I've speculated elsewhere that may well be the root of the prejudice in England. I've never seen any evidence for that, however.

From my experience true ginger hair in the sense of bright orange only occurs in people with some kind of Scottish or Irish blood. Norwegians & some Germans or Slavics can have a kind of chestnut tinted hair but its nothing like the type of the celts.

A saw a slimy little Polak immigrant with bright ginger hair one time. I also saw a Greek Islander with it. Both were youngish (not out of their teens). It occurs more often in Scots, Irish and Welsh, but since the English have a large dosage of indigenous blood in us, it can happen among us too (and not necessarily from a recent fringe ancestor).

A ginger who's obviously overwhelmingly of English ancestry:

http://static2.stuff.co.nz/1233108507/232/125232.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aoltv.com/media/2010/04/conchords-darby-jm040710.jpg

It's not 'bright orange' true, but I rarely see bright orange ginger adults, so it's hard to find an example.

Personally I wouldn't have a ginger partner, simply because the skin tone they tend to have is too pale for my liking. I know pale skin is beautiful and a sign of white purity but there is such a thing as too pale, especially in these days of global warming where you need to be able to tan to avoid sunburn maybe thats why everyone loves nordics because they have very light hair and eyes but tan well in summer. Not too many of them here on the Isle of Wight unfortunately

There's no such thing as 'too pale', except in US beauty ideals.

Granraude
Monday, September 26th, 2011, 04:14 PM

Ever been to Norway? And have you ever seen my hair?

Proper redhead.

Dropkick
Monday, September 26th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Pale = ugly, tanned = sexy. That has been drilled into people for decades and explains the strange behaviour of people.

Ingvaeonic
Monday, September 26th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Ever been to Norway? And have you ever seen my hair?

Proper redhead.

That shoots the no-Norwegian-redheads theory down in flames. Or does Granraude have an Irish grandmother he refuses to acknowledge?

Ingvaeonic
Monday, September 26th, 2011, 05:17 PM

I have beautiful medium red, very straight hair. It shines like gold in the sunshine. I love it.

I am extremely intelligent.

I am not ugly.

I know many, many more like me.

Good to know. I shall remember that there are many extremely intelligent, not ugly people with beautiful medium red, very straight hair that shines like gold in the sunshine and that this unregistered person loves it.

I'm glad we cleared that one up.:thumbsup

renownedwolf
Tuesday, December 6th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I always thought some it came from Christianity and Judas being 'Ruddy'.

But it's probably because it stick's out and attracts attention that other's then don't get.

I would love to see somebody say a negative thing to any of my redhaired family, the ferocious temper is a true thing.

Growing up with the abuse makes you tougher anyway.

It's just another way of destroying the diversity of Europeans, just like the 'Dumb Blonde' epithet.

I am glad to be between the two!

Unity Mitford
Wednesday, December 7th, 2011, 11:42 PM
no one 'hates' redheads. it is just funny to tease them a little :P

Austin
Thursday, December 8th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Isn't blonde hair somehow similar or connected to red hair?

In some blondes, they are red heads in their youth then turn blonde and also sometimes you see women with red and blonde hair. What's with that?

CruxClaire
Saturday, December 10th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Isn't blonde hair somehow similar or connected to red hair?

In some blondes, they are red heads in their youth then turn blonde and also sometimes you see women with red and blonde hair. What's with that?

It has to do with mixed pigmentation - red pigmentation can be mixed with brown or blonde. I have auburn hair, so I have red and brown pigmentation mixed together.

As for whether or not gingers are intelligent.....Seriously?

I have curly, reddish hair and freckles, and I'm of partial Irish descent. I'm also intelligent.

MidgardPatriot
Saturday, December 10th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Because they are usually Irish immigrants.

MidgardPatriot
Saturday, December 10th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Gingers are associated with Irish and Scottish immigrants, rightly or wrongly.

Granraude
Saturday, December 10th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Also, if people did not know. Ginger is a derogatory term for redheads. Seems like Brits do indeed dislike us when they use this term.

Unity Mitford
Saturday, December 10th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Also, if people did not know. Ginger is a derogatory term for redheads. Seems like Brits do indeed dislike us when they use this term.

Ginger is not always an insult :)

Elfriede
Saturday, December 10th, 2011, 11:57 PM
I've never gotten any negative responses to my red hair in America. I hear the term "ginger" thrown around but it's never really negative. There is a really funny South Park episode about gingers though. People usually really like it! Maybe people are just jealous ;)

renownedwolf
Sunday, December 11th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Gingers are associated with Irish and Scottish immigrants, rightly or wrongly.

Not Scottish either. The same applies to dark haired Scots too! It's definitely wrong to think all red haired people come from those places or have ancestry stemming from there.:D

Huginn ok Muninn
Sunday, December 11th, 2011, 04:38 AM

I don't think it's derogatory at all. It's just the term they use in the UK. Like "lorry" or "wheelie bin" or "crisps."

Granraude
Sunday, December 11th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Redheads are bullied in Norway as well. Me being one of the ones who experienced it throughout school.
In Norway, ginger is derogatory (thank you South Park), as is the original meaning of the word according to a lot of sites.

Ginger for redheads = the N-word for negroes.

I really dislike being called ginger. But that may be because of my history of being bullied.

(came off as a bit emo there, didn't I? :P)

Huginn ok Muninn
Sunday, December 11th, 2011, 05:23 AM
I just looked at the picture thread, and your shade of red is quite different from the Irish shade, Granraude.

Your shade is not the BRIGHT red variety like this:

http://videoclipsimage.agaclip.com/yNqwW9JWd_q-_-irish-redhead-convention-2010.jpg

It's more of a strawberry blond like this:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ah6zpd.jpg

but just a bit redder. Even when it's curly, red hair on Germanics seems a bit different than the version on the Irish children above, at least those I have seen.

Granraude
Sunday, December 11th, 2011, 05:48 AM
I had that exact colour when I was younger :P

Huginn ok Muninn
Sunday, December 11th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Alright, I found an adult with the hair color I was thinking of :D

http://i2.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/590/draft_lens9545641module85332991photo_126 6407349red-hair.jpg

Scottish woman...

I knew a guy in college who was mainly Scottish. He had that bright red color...

Hamar Fox
Sunday, December 11th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Sometimes I'll be walking down a street, a gingerless street, and I'll be admiring and basking in its lack of gingerness, breathing in the gingerless air, and just generally relishing in the thought of the gingerlessness of the world around me, when a ginger will step out onto the street from a shop (probably a ginger-front, where gingers gather in ginger basements and discuss their underhand ginger plots and machinations to bend the non-ginger world to their ginger whims). Of course, the anger starts to boil inside me. I look away, but the image of the ginger's gingerness is still burnt into my mind. I can't get it out. My eyes, my eyes! I resolve to do a public service. I'll teach this ginger a thing or too about good manners. I pick up a blunt instrument that's conveniently lying on the ground next to me, and hasten my speed toward the ginger who's now walking ahead of me. I closen, I raise the metal bar in my hand, I ready myself to strike. But just as I'm about to do bash down on him, a van screeches to a halt right next to us. A group of five skin heads spills out of the van and before I can even digest the events, they pile on the ginger, punching and beating him to the ground. They grab his bloodied ginger body and hoist him into an alley. I follow. Not a hundred meters later, the alley gives into a coutyard. Gingers, here, gingers there -- there are maybe fifteen bound and gagged gingers, head on blocks with guillotine blades hanging above them. Around them has formed an angry mob, pitchforks and torches in hand. Among them I see several police officers. For a second, I think maybe they are attempting to break up the crowd, but, no, they're screaming, "Die, gingers, die!" more heartily than the rest of them!

This kind of thing happens a lot here. I've experienced the above at least twelve times in the past two weeks alone.

-------------------------

Ginger hair is obviously something people poke fun at in Britain, but to call it hatred is pretty ridiculous. A ginger-haired man is probably going to be the butt of a few jokes from his friends, and this is going to be a more common experience the younger (and less mature) he and his friends are. Children tease loads about it. Why? I don't know. Maybe it has its origin in historic tribal relations. Germans make fun of British 'ginger hair', so it's not impossible the Germanic invaders reacted similarly. Red hair obviously exists on the continent too, but much more rarely, and red hair is different from ginger anyway. The English now have an indigenous component, of course, so ginger occurs naturally amongst us. But that doesn't mean we couldn't still inherit some cultural 'memes' from them (from the Germanic invasion version of 4chan :lol ). But this is just pure guesswork. Ginger is certainly very common among English children, at least Northern English children, and I don't consider it a foreign trait. But, then again, nor do I deny the indigenous component of my heritage.

renownedwolf
Sunday, December 11th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Tbh ,if anybody has any dislike of gingers at all, I don't think their getting it. It is a Germanic trait, one, that once upon a time was even revered.

They perhaps should encourage the crossbreeding of Germanics with some groids and make sure that any risk of having a ginger gene crop up is totally destroyed. Would anybody like that?

CruxClaire
Tuesday, December 13th, 2011, 12:53 AM
http://lacewigsulove.com/images/Auburn-Hair-With-Caramel-Highlights.jpg

This is pretty similar to my shade, and when I said "red," I wasn't referring only to the bright orange shade that's growing increasingly rare.

I do know a few people with flaming orange hair, and their ancestry is at least partially Irish. However, most people I know who are of Irish descent have darker hair, usually varying shades of brown or golden brown.

NICKIEKING
Thursday, December 29th, 2011, 07:57 AM
My children have the same color (dark red) now late teens...but were ginger when they were small. Just before I moved to the US, i will never forget hearing my son just 5 being teased by another 6 year old for his hair colour. I think it's because kids pick up kids that look different and look in the minority like big ears and big nose, also maybe hearing things on tv and parents saying things against gingers etc... Never forget showing off my son when he was 3 months at my nan's house, and my aunt coming to visit and looking at him and saying you could had chosen better genes, and not had gone for a ginger? yeah that was my aunt for you, but it made me realize how much harder it was/is for a ginger /redhead to be accepted in the UK. My kid's have grown up in California, my son had some minor teasing, but like his sister loves his hair color. My daughter has always called herself a ginger, and wears the badge proudly, she's very attractive, has some freckles, and a california tan (yep not all gingers burn)..my son who's 2 years older grew his confidence from her and also embraces being a stand out from the crowd for his hair color. I think picking on people for being slightly different is very much more of a British thing as a culture, that doesn't let it go into adult hood more so than maybe most countries. (Australia maybe just the same)

ljthompson
Friday, February 24th, 2012, 12:28 AM
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. People are teased for anything.

Red hair is so eye-catching, one must expect comment.

A number of my friends and family have red hair, here in the US. My girlfriend has very dark auburn hair, with lighter, more obviously auburn highlights. She is the sexiest woman alive.

Furthermore, Thor was a red head, you may recall, and he could kick any of our arses without breaking a sweat.

Germaniathane
Monday, December 12th, 2016, 12:17 AM
Why?

No the ultra-White phenotype of red hair, ghost-white skin, green eyes reminds the English of their Celtic foes since the Old Anglo-Saxon days whether it's the Welsh or Irish.