PDA

View Full Version : Panzercorps by Matrix -- Released July 10

MCP3
Saturday, September 3rd, 2011, 01:12 AM
All fans of the old SSI classic Panzer-General (for DOS) can rejoice. Panzercorps Wehrmacht by Matrixgames has been released in July and became a hot-seller within weeks.

http://ad.wargamer.com//bannerlinks/matrixgames/PzC_Banner.jpg

Here a review:

Like Panzer General, Panzer Corps Wehrmacht defies categorization. The game’s simple mechanics seem to make it a beer-and-pretzel game, but that belies the amount of acumen needed for strategy and purchasing of units. Some commentators call it a puzzle game, but every combined arms operation resembles a puzzle. Abstraction of terrain and scale rule it out as a grognard historical simulation. The best characterization may come from the Flash of Steel podcast that called it a “bridge” game, introducing beginners to historical gaming. Fortunately, Panzer Corps has attractions for the hard-core also.

Full review:
http://www.wargamer.com/article/3064/panzer-corps

Website of the game:
http://panzer-corps.com/

MCP3
Sunday, September 4th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Here is a review in German.
1a6GPCQgbwc

Annotation: For Victory in the East it is essential to archive a Decisive Victory in the Operation Barbarossa scenario where you are practically in the role of General Guderian, thus fight with your Panzergroup in the central sector (attached to Army Group Center). The map here is from Warsaw (West) to Smolensk (East). If you are fast enough the program asks you to pick between Kiev (historically) or early drive on Moscow. Choose Moscow. Although Kiev (historically the largest pocket battle of all times) brings you a lot of prestige (the currency in the game) you play off your chance to take Moscow quick enough. To archive a Decisive Victory in the "normal" Moscow offensive in October/November is literally impossible, which is after Kiev your next mission anyway, due to General Mud and General Winter like it was historically. Also in October/November the Soviets are heavily entrenched and fortified and have much more troops (from Siberia), which they don't have in August/September. Nor are the 3 fortification lines build yet.

MCP3
Friday, September 23rd, 2011, 01:38 PM
The following 'ear-worm' kept in my head from extensively testing the game, and my ability as a strategist on operation-level as Panzergruppe-Commander. I do that usually with the proper background footage of my "Wochenschau"-collection. The following "Stuka-song" is in almost every edition of DW from No.564-590 (June 25 to December 24, 1941 , e.g. the Operation Barbarossa coverage).

9nooV1XZfC4

After all, without them (and the 88mm Flak) the Soviet T-34s and KV1+2s would be really messing up the operations. Engaging them with Panzergruppe's Panzer IIIs and Skoda 38ts is really, how shall i put it, painful. .:-O

Thorbrand
Friday, September 23rd, 2011, 01:44 PM
Here is a review in German.
1a6GPCQgbwc

Annotation: For Victory in the East it is essential to archive a Decisive Victory in the Operation Barbarossa scenario where you are practically in the role of General Guderian, thus fight with your Panzergroup in the central sector (attached to Army Group Center). The map here is from Warsaw (West) to Smolensk (East). If you are fast enough the program asks you to pick between Kiev (historically) or early drive on Moscow. Choose Moscow. Although Kiev (historically the largest pocket battle of all times) brings you a lot of prestige (the currency in the game) you play off your chance to take Moscow quick enough. To archive a Decisive Victory in the "normal" Moscow offensive in October/November is literally impossible, which is after Kiev your next mission anyway, due to General Mud and General Winter like it was historically. Also in October/November the Soviets are heavily entrenched and fortified and have much more troops (from Siberia), which they don't have in August/September. Nor are the 3 fortification lines build yet.

SO I could actually win the war in this game? As I said on the game thread I hate those games where no matter how many victories you win Germany still loses the war (and your last level is always the battle for Berlin). If, as you seem to indicate, Moscow can be taken then this is a gem of a game!:thumbup

MCP3
Friday, September 23rd, 2011, 02:02 PM
SO I could actually win the war in this game? As I said on the game thread I hate those games where no matter how many victories you win Germany still loses the war (and your last level is always the battle for Berlin). If, as you seem to indicate, Moscow can be taken then this is a gem of a game!:thumbup

If you win a Decisive Victory in the East the program says that "Stalin in chains and waits for his trial as a war criminal and crimes against humanity". You then get a bonus "Sea Lion 1942" (hypothetical) to bring Churchill to justice. I have to admit that this is almost impossible, as there are too many US troops already in Britain (The USAAF is the problem).

My point was: You can only win in the East if you manage to get the hypothetical "Early Moscow" offensive. (Start: August 12, 1941). If you have to do Kiev you still get the Moscow task but scheduled as it was historically: October 2, 1941. After just a few days of clear weather you usually get rain which means MUD. And you can well see in the historical footage what that means in a country where the principal "road" is the Rollbahn.
Plus the above mentioned "Stukas" are also not available. The only thing you can do then is to wait...to wait...either on clear or frost weather. :-O

Lesson: Operations run smooth for the Wehrmacht in 41 as long as there is good weather (summer, late summer, early fall).

Thorbrand
Friday, September 23rd, 2011, 03:13 PM
If you win a Decisive Victory in the East the program says that "Stalin in chains and waits for his trial as a war criminal and crimes against humanity". You then get a bonus "Sea Lion 1942" (hypothetical) to bring Churchill to justice. I have to admit that this is almost impossible, as there are too many US troops already in Britain (The USAAF is the problem).

My point was: You can only win in the East if you manage to get the hypothetical "Early Moscow" offensive. (Start: August 12, 1941). If you have to do Kiev you still get the Moscow task but scheduled as it was historically: October 2, 1941. After just a few days of clear weather you usually get rain which means MUD. And you can well see in the historical footage what that means in a country where the principal "road" is the Rollbahn.
Plus the above mentioned "Stukas" are also not available. The only thing you can do then is to wait...to wait...either on clear or frost weather. :-O

Lesson: Operations run smooth for the Wehrmacht in 41 as long as there is good weather (summer, late summer, early fall).

Right! You've sold it for me:D Churchill AND Stalin in chains - what a prospect :thumbup

MCP3
Friday, September 23rd, 2011, 03:39 PM
Right! You've sold it for me:D Churchill AND Stalin in chains - what a prospect :thumbup

I did fail with the latter. (level: normal, but with "fog of war" and weather, cause otherwise it would be totally unrealistic). As said, 1942 there are already US troops and USAAF units who saved WSC from joining 'Uncle Joe' (Stalin) in prison.

Analyzed reason: Too few fighter plane units.
Reason: The whole make-up/order of battle of my Panzergruppe was of course that it is was "designed" to engage continental enemies. A possible solution may have been to disband a few ground-units to be able to "buy" more Me 109 F+G. But who in the world likes to disband his veteran and crack units that he reared throughout the campaign in numerous battles to "elite standard"? :(

MCP3
Tuesday, October 4th, 2011, 09:24 PM
The campaign game always starts September 1, 1939 "Poland". Your initial force (core units of your Panzercorps deployed around Oppeln-Silesia) is always the same, namely:

3 x Wehrmacht Infantry
2 x Wehrmacht Infantry motorized (on Opel Blitz)
1 x Gebirgsjäger Infantry
1 x 10,5 Leichte Feldhaubitze L18 (motorized)
1 x Panzer I Ausf. A
1 x Panzer I Ausf. B
1 x Panzer II
1 x Me 109 E fighter
1 x Me 110 C Zerst.

plus OKW attachment of

1 x Slovakian Infantry
1 x Panzer III E
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Available are 4 core slots. Sufficient $ to buy the following units (player's choice):

1 x SiG Sturmpanzer I (self propelled Artillery, deployed on hex southeast of Oppeln to start next turn by firing on Polish Infantry entrenched in Cieszyn )

1 x HE 111 level bomber (also in hindsight of next scenario "Norway" where Luftwaffe is essential to engage British RN naval units)

1 x Ju 87 B Stuka (essential for close support ground strikes)

Only $168 left so last one has to be something cheap. My choice is

1 x Sd Kfz 222 recon vehicle (because of it's scouting performance)

http://www.matrixgames.com/files/games/399/20110615095536.jpg?height=600&width=800

Mööv
Monday, December 19th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Is there a Mac version available?

MCP3
Monday, December 19th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Is there a Mac version available?

Nope.

MCP3
Tuesday, February 21st, 2012, 02:20 AM
Panzercorps Wehrmacht Trial version is out.

Classic gameplay. New experience.

Panzer Corps Wehrmacht is a brand new turn-based strategy game that reinvents a classic genre. Produced and developed by a team of experts and brought to perfection by a community of hundreds of fans, the game has evolved over 2 years to become what can be defined as a modern classic!
Set in World War II, Panzer Corps Wehrmacht puts the player in charge of Axis armies, taking their core force with them through the entire war. The use of combined-arms tactics requires each general to make use of the strengths and exploit the weaknesses of their opponents.
Its multiplayer mode, an improved version of Slitherine’s award winning PBEM++ system, allows players to easily find opponents anywhere in the world enjoy playing them with none of the hassle.
Panzer Corps Wehrmacht is designed to replicate the feeling of a classic wargame, but brings it up to 21st century standards and to a whole new generation of gamers.
http://slitherine.com/games/panzer_corps_pc

Demo version:

Slitherine and Matrix Games are positively merry to announce the demo version of its critically acclaimed and award winning strategy game, Panzer Corps. The demo includes 6 missions from the Bootcamp Campaign, plus the invasion of Poland and the first few turns of the Norway scenario. The transition between the first two scenarios of the main campaign allows players to upgrade their army between scenarios and get a feel for how units improve and gain experience as they travel from battle to battle. Also packaged with the demo is a limited version of Panzer Corps’ powerful scenario editor so modders can try their hand at the near limitless possibilities for making new scenarios and campaigns!

http://www.slitherine.com/downloads/item84

RBRJy4ojdVM

Your standard vehicles in the first serious scenario (included in the trial version) : The meager Panzer I and II .
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSdQ9Pe5onk5Ob6f_aZk9 VqpcYAomEeSrpe6hO_ZMp75dkHqTo7rd8y_KM