PDA

View Full Version : Nivea's Racial Ad Retracted (it is Against Blacks)

Ocko
Saturday, August 20th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Money & Company

Nivea's 're-civilize' ad called racist; company apologizes
August 19, 2011

Nivea’s “Look like you give a damn” campaign: Does it contain a deliberately racist suggestion that black people aren’t civilized or an unintentional gaffe by the skin care company’s marketing team?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef015390ce714e970b-pi

The print ad in question features a clean-shaven black man grasping the longer hair on a bearded mask of his own face, preparing to throw it away. The phrase “Re-civilize yourself” is boldly emblazoned over the image.

The Internet erupted in fury over the ad, with calls that songstress and Nivea spokeswoman Rihanna disown the company.

Facebook users began posting photos of themselves with Afros on Nivea’s wall, saying things such as: “I wear my hair natural and I just graduated with my doctorate! So who needs to be re-civilized?? Nivea no longer welcomed in my household.”

Some suggested that the backlash could increase sales of products geared toward black people from other companies.

Nivea, owned by German parent Beiersdorf, responded on its wall with an apology:

Thank you for caring enough to give us your feedback about the recent 'Re-civilized' NIVEA FOR MEN ad. This ad was inappropriate and offensive. It was never our intention to offend anyone, and for this we are deeply sorry. This ad will never be used again. Diversity and equal opportunity are crucial values of our company.

No word on whether a companion advertisement -- featuring a clean-shaven white man grasping the longer hair on bearded mask of his own face, preparing to throw it away -- will also be nixed.

The text on that one: “Sin City isn’t an excuse to look like hell.”

source (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/money_co/2011/08/nivea-re-civilize-ad.html)

Frostbite
Saturday, August 20th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Lol that was pretty funny.

Gross kinky hair isn't attractive, no matter what you want to think.

Goomer
Saturday, August 20th, 2011, 01:04 PM
source (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/money_co/2011/08/nivea-re-civilize-ad.html)

Yanno...I see both sides of this one.

On the one hand, to get all up in arms over an advertisement is, IMO, a colossal waste of time and energy. However, it is typically American to get offended over something, and rather than just blowing it off and forgetting about it.....they seek litigation. *barf*

With that said.....

I do feel bad for black people and the way whites tend to judge blacks with afros. The fact is, an afro is the natural state of their hair! They cannot help having an afro anymore than one of us can help having super-straight, fine hair.

The fact is, blacks who leave their hair as-is are usually looked upon as less professional, and that's not especially fair. I see black men and women sometimes with afros that look appropriately trimmed and neat, and yet, they still get judged.

I mean, if anyone has ever spoken with a black woman especially, and listened to the shit these women put their hair through so it can look straighter and more relaxed....or more white, quite frankly....it's enough to tire a person out just thinking about it.

Please note, this comment is made in consideration of hair only and how natural afros are usually frowned upon by greater society. I do NOT discuss outside considerations, such as the quality of the worker, etc.

Sigurd
Saturday, August 20th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I also find the advert offensive. I mean, "re-civilize yourself"? That'd imply that you'd have to have been civilised at some point in the past, something that cannot be truthfully said of Black communities anywhere around the globe. :P

Silent_Saxon
Saturday, August 20th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I have never understood how people can be upset about ads. I've seen some very anti-White ads but you know what I do about it? I forget I ever saw it and focus on more important things.

Ocko
Sunday, August 21st, 2011, 12:26 AM
They are part of the agenda, therefore I do not forget them, I act.

Recently I sent an email to Snickers for their anti-white Ads.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A0oG7kh.QlBOf2cAfRRXNyoA?ei=U TF-8&p=snickers%20walker%20ad&fr2=tab-web&fr=slv8-yma2

I got emails back and they asked me to call them.

So they do react to it. Simply more people should do so.

AuroraNordalis
Sunday, August 21st, 2011, 12:47 AM
Yanno...I see both sides of this one.

On the one hand, to get all up in arms over an advertisement is, IMO, a colossal waste of time and energy. However, it is typically American to get offended over something, and rather than just blowing it off and forgetting about it.....they seek litigation. *barf*

With that said.....

I do feel bad for black people and the way whites tend to judge blacks with afros. The fact is, an afro is the natural state of their hair! They cannot help having an afro anymore than one of us can help having super-straight, fine hair.

The fact is, blacks who leave their hair as-is are usually looked upon as less professional, and that's not especially fair. I see black men and women sometimes with afros that look appropriately trimmed and neat, and yet, they still get judged.

I mean, if anyone has ever spoken with a black woman especially, and listened to the shit these women put their hair through so it can look straighter and more relaxed....or more white, quite frankly....it's enough to tire a person out just thinking about it.

Please note, this comment is made in consideration of hair only and how natural afros are usually frowned upon by greater society. I do NOT discuss outside considerations, such as the quality of the worker, etc.

Ok, you don't discuss outside considerations but if blacks did better academically throughout history then the afro would be seen as a positive symbol.

It's no ones fault but blacks that they have negative connotations towards their race. Sure, they went through oppression that put them poor but that oppression wasn't throughout all of their racial legacy.

Even where they are perceived now they could at least have some kind of decent ancient civilization to fall back on to prove they can get back to their "good roots" but they don't.

We need more of these ads in order to put guilt in black peoples minds so they will start to do good.

Gardisten
Sunday, August 21st, 2011, 12:58 AM
Well geez the blacks have been complaining about their lack of representation in consumer advertising, but every time they do get put in an ad the company has to worry about getting smeared as racist...

Ocko
Sunday, August 21st, 2011, 01:02 AM
So, they are underrepresented in ads?

I had a policy to not buy anything what had been advertised with blacks. Even got my ex to the point that she didn't do it when I was shopping with her.

I simply had to give up that policy because you can hardly buy anything, not advertised by blacks.

Austin
Sunday, August 21st, 2011, 01:10 AM
Yes corporate interest do care what you as a consumer think if you can fool them into thinking you have a large consumer-rating group behind you.

Be professional on the phone and say that you and a handful of the other professional-sounding individuals that have called are going to have to make the consumer aware of the bias against them by your company if this situation isn't remedied and then casually mention past companies that (supposedly) did not heed your consortium's concerns and directly paid for it in sales in those communities.

Mööv
Sunday, August 21st, 2011, 01:30 AM

People look that way at white people with hair too no matter how nice and tidy you keep it. If it´s long and you also have facial hair people look at you differently. You are labeled as immature, untidy, uncivilized, and what not. Many companies have a no long hair and no facial hair policies.
So this reaction by the black people is pure idiocy and nothing else but that. It is a status they enjoyed that we have given them that is the true problem, since it is that that allows them to twist images and cry "oppression" every time they see fit.

Ediruc
Sunday, August 21st, 2011, 01:31 AM
I do feel bad for black people and the way whites tend to judge blacks with afros.

You think corporations give a damn what black people think? They're just cattle goyim in their eyes.

Hesse
Sunday, August 21st, 2011, 01:42 AM
I don't think this was a race directed ad to begin with. But then again it's somewhat unusual that a German hair product company advertising with a black person?

I also find the advert offensive. I mean, "re-civilize yourself"? That'd imply that you'd have to have been civilised at some point in the past, something that cannot be truthfully said of Black communities anywhere around the globe. :P

I can concur here. How can one "re-civilize" themself if the never were civilized to start with?

Not all of us have "super straight" hair. My grandfather does not. He had European not-straight hair. Germanics can have wavy and curly hair also, but the ones that have the latter it's nothing like black people hair.

Frostbite
Sunday, August 21st, 2011, 01:49 AM
The model didn't seem to have a problem, so why should anyone else?

Not everything is meant to be offensive, it's no ones fault you can't like your natural hair.

There was a identical ad, but with a white model, right? So saying it's racist is BS. It's targeted at white and black men, so it's not like black people are being picked on.

AuroraNordalis
Sunday, August 21st, 2011, 01:57 AM
The model didn't seem to have a problem, so why should anyone else?

Not everything is meant to be offensive, it's no ones fault you can't like your natural hair.

There was a identical ad, but with a white model, right? So saying it's racist is BS. It's targeted at white and black men, so it's not like black people are being picked on.

I see what you are saying but I don't like the logic of it.

For one I think blacks should not complain because they need to be civilized.
The other thing is that according to what you say Germanics shouldn't get mad at the media portraying whites in a negative light in order to promote multiculturalism.

I don't care if a white person likes to be in an ad with a negro husband, it's wrong. Being in the media especially in a media project that is targeted towards racial demographics, one should remember who they are representing.

Frostbite
Sunday, August 21st, 2011, 02:14 AM
I see why they're offended, but I think they need to get over it.

No one likes a victim mentality.

AuroraNordalis
Sunday, August 21st, 2011, 02:20 AM
I see why they're offended, but I think they need to get over it.

No one likes a victim mentality.

There is a difference between being a victim and wanting justice and the difference of complaining about everything to the point of delusion.

If you just "get over it" injustice repeats itself because there is no one to fight back.

TXRog
Sunday, August 21st, 2011, 05:00 AM
Thanks for sharing brother Ocko.

I for one see absolutely no evidence of racism in this ad whatsover - either inferred or direct.

In fact, I personally feel this ad was (in the lexicon of my Germanic brothers and sisters in the UK) "spot on.":thumbup

:D