PDA

View Full Version : Your First Name: What's The Ethnic Origin?

Alfadur
Tuesday, August 2nd, 2011, 09:40 PM
This thread is just done out of curiosity. I'm just trying to gauge the various origins of the Skadi membership's first names. In this world we live in, people can have names from all kinds of origins, even though I'm strongly in favor of people having names from their own cultures. This poll is quite simple - but please do a quick google search on your names before voting. Some common names in Germanic countries have origins that are Germanic, while many others do not.

My own name, Erik, is satisfyingly Swedish. :P

Granraude
Tuesday, August 2nd, 2011, 09:55 PM
Greco-Roman first name, Norwegian middle-name and Norwegian/Swedish surname.

Duckelf
Tuesday, August 2nd, 2011, 10:24 PM
My first name, Donald, is Celtic since it comes from the Scottish Gaelic and means 'ruler of the world'. There have been three Kings of Scotland with the name.

Loyalist
Tuesday, August 2nd, 2011, 10:32 PM
It is Germanic, derived from an Old German name, and became quite popular in England after the Norman conquest. ;)

GeistFaust
Tuesday, August 2nd, 2011, 10:46 PM
My first name is Gaelic.

Oslaf
Tuesday, August 2nd, 2011, 10:55 PM
Gaelic here, too.

Hersir
Tuesday, August 2nd, 2011, 11:28 PM
My first name is Norse and my surname is Norwegian (My mother changed from her birth name to the nickname of the farm she grew up on).

Elessar
Tuesday, August 2nd, 2011, 11:32 PM
My name is of Middle-English origin. Meaning "Path" or "Roadway" ;)

Naglfari
Tuesday, August 2nd, 2011, 11:56 PM
First name is the name of an archangel in the bible, surname is English.

Wychaert
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011, 07:28 AM
Germanic Frisian(Dutch).
Which means 'the joy of victory'

My Surname Is very Dutch, 'From the mill'
:D

Magni
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011, 08:25 AM
I voted Germanic but that would just be my first name. Ny first name is Old German, my middle name is Hebrew :( , and my last name is Celtic.

Sigurd
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011, 01:45 PM
I don't need to look up much. My first name is Roman, my middle name is Greek but refers to one of the disciples, and my last name is fundamentally Austro-Bavarian, typically found in parts of Tyrol and Salzburg as well as some select places in Bavaria, i.e. relatively local. ;)

M÷÷v
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011, 02:03 PM
My first name is Greek and my last name is German (Franconian)

Goomer
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011, 02:43 PM
Greek, but it was a name created by some English dude for a play in the 1500s.

Marielise
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011, 03:04 PM
My first name is germanic and hebrew ( I know, but that's a catholic name!) I have a compound first name. My last names are norman and french ( I have both my parents family names).

ohrdruf
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011, 03:15 PM
My name Geoffrey supposedly means "peace with God" or some such nonsense. My mother was unable to explain why she chose this name for me. I now see that Geo-, though it might mean "god", secretly refers to the Germanic god Frey, brother of Freya, the highest Goddess in Germanic mythology (please note my profile). I think this is a very happy coincidence which my late mother, would never have intended when I was born in 1944.

Wulfram
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011, 03:18 PM
My birth name is 'William', which is Germanic. My last name is German.

Juthunge
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011, 03:33 PM
My first name is Roman, my middle name is Christian (actually Hebrew, sadly) and my surname is German.

I'll make sure my children will grow up with traditional names.

Thusnelda
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011, 04:50 PM
Well, I┤ve voted for the wrong option because I was assuming you┤re referring to our surnames. :( Just like Sigurd, my first name is Roman (Julia).

Alfadur
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011, 04:53 PM
Come on, vote more. I don't see many people voting, just writing posts. :P

M÷÷v
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011, 05:53 PM
my first name is Roman (Julia).

I┤ve been told that if I was born as a female, would have been named Julia after my mothers grandmother :D

Ălfrun
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011, 06:09 PM
My first name is Old Celtic, and my maiden name is English, but my mom married and Irish man, so now I have an Irish last name. I was supposed to be named Amund, after my Norwegian grandmother.

Autosomal Viking
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011, 06:53 PM
My first name is of Anglicized Irish origin, my middle name is English and my surname is of English origin.

Little king, son of Tom, player of a small drum.

Stefan
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011, 07:29 PM
Greek.
Stephanos meaning "crown, garland".
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_(given_name)

Sybren
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011, 08:06 PM
Both of my forenames are Germanic, more specifically Frisian Germanic.

But when some research is done on my first name "Sybren", you'll see that it is a form of "Siegbern". That old form was probably used outside of Frisia as well (from the sound of it at least, it sounds more German to me).

Some time ago, Ůorei­ar told me that in Norwegian there exists "Sigbj°rn" and in Old Norse "SÝgbrandr". Both are obviously similar to "Siegbern" and they also share the same meanings or one of them (bear-like victory and/or sword of victory). So my guess is these names share a common origin, or the one is the origin of the other perhaps.

By the way, it is nice to read that people here will give their future children Germanic names :) It's yet another thing that strenghtens the bond with our ancestors, and it is SO easy to do! Maybe at first, children will think of their names as being kind of lame/old-fashioned, but eventually they will probably appreciate them very much. It was that way for me :)

Duckelf
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011, 08:15 PM
I voted Germanic but that would just be my first name. Ny first name is Old German, my middle name is Hebrew :( , and my last name is Celtic.
There's nothing wrong with a Biblical name.

Goomer
Thursday, August 4th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Both of my forenames are Germanic, more specifically Frisian Germanic.

But when some research is done on my first name "Sybren", you'll see that it is a form of "Siegbern". That old form was probably used outside of Frisia as well (from the sound of it at least, it sounds more German to me).

Some time ago, Ůorei­ar told me that in Norwegian there exists "Sigbj°rn" and in Old Norse "SÝgbrandr". Both are obviously similar to "Siegbern" and they also share the same meanings or one of them (bear-like victory and/or sword of victory). So my guess is these names share a common origin, or the one is the origin of the other perhaps.

By the way, it is nice to read that people here will give their future children Germanic names :) It's yet another thing that strenghtens the bond with our ancestors, and it is SO easy to do! Maybe at first, children will think of their names as being kind of lame/old-fashioned, but eventually they will probably appreciate them very much. It was that way for me :)

My little boy has a nice Germanic name:) I had several Germanic names picked out also if he had been a girl.

ekorn
Thursday, August 4th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Well, I┤ve voted for the wrong option because I was assuming you┤re referring to our surnames. :( Just like Sigurd, my first name is Roman (Julia).

Its interesting how many Julias we got in North Europe, though its a Roman name. Curious.

Same here. Voted for Greco-Roman, since there's no Roman option.

Wittmann
Thursday, August 4th, 2011, 08:10 PM
My name means "Fear".

Hesse
Thursday, August 4th, 2011, 08:20 PM
For my first name, lets just say me and Thorolf have something in common. :P

But my middle name is 100% Germanic, possibly even Frisian (it's my mother's last name,which I heard was an old Frisian given name)

My last name, is German and originates in Germany (i think..)

I'm ok with people who bear Bible based first names, but not last names, since the latter is passed down from generation to generation and actually indicates an ancient ethnic origin.

However, the parents (if they are of European origin) who name their children names that did not originate in Europe or the European country where their ancestros originated should so some self examination in my decree.

I think that European, especially Germanic parents should name their children names that originate in the European country where their ancestors originated, for it's essential for establishing their identity with that ancestral homeland early on. ;)

Astrid Runa
Thursday, August 4th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Well, apparently, my name (which is Dannii), is Hebrew, and it means "God is my Judge".
-sigh- Thank you, Mother....

Frostbite
Friday, August 5th, 2011, 02:26 AM
My first name is biblical but my last name is very English. :D

Autosomal Viking
Friday, August 5th, 2011, 03:16 AM
my middle name is Hebrew :(

my middle name is Christian (actually Hebrew, sadly)

Well, apparently, my name (which is Dannii), is Hebrew, and it means "God is my Judge".

My first name is biblical but my last name is very English. :D

I was mapping my ancestry the other day and I discovered I am descended from Moses.

But not that Moses. :P Moses Ayers, a Puritan born in New Jersey in 1732.

Angus
Friday, August 5th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Mines of Latin origin.

According to website, it's most popular in English, German, Scandinavian
and French speaking countries.

Duckelf
Friday, August 5th, 2011, 04:09 AM
For my first name, lets just say me and Thorolf have something in common. :P

But my middle name is 100% Germanic, possibly even Frisian (it's my mother's last name,which I heard was an old Frisian given name)

My last name, is German and originates in Germany (i think..)

I'm ok with people who bear Bible based first names, but not last names, since the latter is passed down from generation to generation and actually indicates an ancient ethnic origin.

However, the parents (if they are of European origin) who name their children names that did not originate in Europe or the European country where their ancestros originated should so some self examination in my decree.

I think that European, especially Germanic parents should name their children names that originate in the European country where their ancestors originated, for it's essential for establishing their identity with that ancestral homeland early on. ;)
It is strange for someone who seems to be Christian to have such a bizarre attitude.

SpearBrave
Friday, August 5th, 2011, 04:14 AM
My first, last, and middle name all are of German(ic) origin. :thumbup

Hesse
Friday, August 5th, 2011, 04:19 AM
It is strange for someone who seems to be Christian to have such a bizarre attitude.

What do you mean? And what does that have to do with the quoted post?

Stanley
Friday, August 5th, 2011, 04:40 AM
I was mapping my ancestry and I discovered I am descended from Moses.

But not that Moses. :P Moses Ayers, a Puritan born in New Jersey in 1732.

Strange, I'm also descended from a Moses. Although, he was born in New York and had a different surname.

W. Werner
Friday, August 5th, 2011, 04:54 AM
My first name is:

WENDY-is occasionally used as a nickname for the Welsh "Gwendolyn", it has been traced back to early 1800s and most known as one of the main characters "Wendy Darling" in "Peter Pan". That was my Grandmother's favorite story, hence how I got my name.

My last name is:

WERNER-The name Werner comes from the German origin. The meaning of the name Werner is: "Defending warrior".There are alternate spellings, such as the Scandinavian Verner. My family started in Norway, then Denmark and finally Hamburg, Germany.

Sigurd
Friday, August 5th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Its interesting how many Julias we got in North Europe, though its a Roman name. Curious.

I may mention for clarification that my name is not Julia, but the same +n. Which still led to my longer-term Ex to regularly poke some fun at me, hinting at a female St. Julian in the British Isles. :P

That's nonsense, surnames were not commonplace in most Germanic countries before the 11th/12th century, not fixed until the 14th, and some use patronymics to this date. So biblical surnames mean nothing - they could either be a former patronym or stem from a particularly pious family (I speak of names such as Pauli or Johannis, Littlejohn also comes to mind, even a Swede named Isakson needn't be Jewish)

In some cases it may have well been an "evil surnaming by nickname". There's a whole bunch of people called "Jud" in Tyrol, and no, the name does not stem from the Jews - no Jews in Tyrol of the 14th century, and the name comes from Judas; however I couldn't see anyone have that for a self-chosen patronym or even a name-of-reverence, more likely to have been a malicious reference to someone who didn't always act honourable, that then passed to his children.

In fact, calling someone a "Jud'" as is still common here, may stem from the same root, as it's used for a back-stabbing person rather than a stingy person, usually. ;)

GroeneWolf
Friday, August 5th, 2011, 09:48 AM
My first name is of Latin origin.

Einarr
Friday, August 5th, 2011, 10:13 AM

Isn't Dannii just another form of Danielle? Many ordinary or common names from all over Europe are of biblical origin, often through translation, so they don't appear identical to the source. This was of course due to the Christianization of Europe. I don't think you have anything to be ashamed about, or at least over anyone else. John/Johan/etc is another name of "Hebrew origin," for example.

BritishLad
Friday, August 5th, 2011, 10:52 AM
"Michael" is Hebrew for "who is like God"

Duckelf
Friday, August 5th, 2011, 05:38 PM
What do you mean? And what does that have to do with the quoted post?
This is the section of your post that is problematic:

"However, the parents (if they are of European origin) who name their children names that did not originate in Europe or the European country where their ancestros originated should so some self examination in my decree."

Ůorei­ar
Friday, August 5th, 2011, 08:11 PM
My firstname is a Norwegianized version of a Jewish name. My surname is through and through Germanic.

EDIT: On second thought, my surname is also partly derived from a Jewish/Biblical name. God damnit... :P I'll rest assured by the fact that it's one of the most common and typical firstnames and surnames in Germanic countries.

Astrid Runa
Friday, August 5th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Isn't Dannii just another form of Danielle? Many ordinary or common names from all over Europe are of biblical origin, often through translation, so they don't appear identical to the source. This was of course due to the Christianization of Europe. I don't think you have anything to be ashamed about, or at least over anyone else. John/Johan/etc is another name of "Hebrew origin," for example.

Yes, Dannii is a shortened version of Danielle, but Dannii is the name on my Birth Certificate.
I never liked my name...

Granraude
Friday, August 5th, 2011, 08:49 PM

I know a gorgeous borreby girl who has a biblical surname. And I think you would change your mind about surnames if you met her =P

bŠny
Friday, August 5th, 2011, 08:53 PM
My first name is of biblical/hebrew origin meaning 'house of figs' (okay then).
My second name is of Latin origin:

Grace is a feminine given name (GrÔce in French), from the Latin gratia.[1] It is often given in reference to the Christian concept of divine grace and used as a virtue name. The vocabulary word may be elaborated upon as meaning 'effortless beauty'.
Knew it!

bardamu
Sunday, August 7th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I'm pleased that all 3 of my names (first, middle, and last) are all Germanic names. My first name is derived from a Norse goddess, my middle name from a famous Norse explorer, and my surname is somewhat obscure but clearly German.

Fallow
Monday, August 8th, 2011, 12:20 AM
My first name is very Celtic, and my surname is very old Germanic. They sum me up completely.

The Horned God
Monday, August 8th, 2011, 01:13 AM
My first name is Gaelic and my surname is Germanic though probably anglicised from the Gaelic.

GeistFaust
Monday, August 8th, 2011, 01:24 AM
My first name is Gaelic my middle name is Greek and my surname could be Anglo-Norman or Celtic it depends.

NatRev
Thursday, August 18th, 2011, 01:26 AM
First name Greek, popular in England

Second name English (Anglo-Saxon), a verb.

ChaosLord
Friday, August 19th, 2011, 05:01 AM
First name = Biblical
Surname = Anglicized Norse

Wolf in the West
Friday, February 24th, 2012, 02:33 PM
My first name and last name are English, my first name means "place of hawks." my last name is old English and there is a town in England with the same name. any Brits here been to Wakefield?

Adalheid
Friday, February 24th, 2012, 03:45 PM
So if Google doesn't have any hits for it...is it non-European? No one seems to be laying claim to it....:|

Dvergr
Friday, February 24th, 2012, 04:08 PM
My last name means "Master" in German ... so yeah that's pretty plain and simple. I actually don't know the implications of what the origins of my last name are or why I would have such a last name.

Olavss°nn
Friday, February 24th, 2012, 04:42 PM
My first name is Biblical, which I don't really fancy to be honest. My surname is better, though, being the name of a farm in West Norway.

renownedwolf
Friday, February 24th, 2012, 06:13 PM
First name is Celtic, meaning Champion, middle name is Anglicised Germanic meaning either Serious, Steadfast, Battle to the Death and surname is Frankish translation of a famous Norse viking. The surname means Renowned Wolf.

Slivers
Friday, February 24th, 2012, 06:18 PM
My first name is as Christian as a name can be. And my last name seems to be a variation on a definable word in the dictionary which according to an Etymology source is Anglo-French.
I guess it would be considered 'Germanic' or borderline 'Other'.

skjalm hvide
Friday, February 24th, 2012, 07:34 PM
My first name is very Scandinavian, I would say that it's more or less exclusive to the Scandinavian countries. My surname sounds German as it derives from the area in Schleswig-Holstein, where my father's ancestors lived several hundred years ago.

RichardAWilliams
Friday, February 24th, 2012, 09:02 PM
First name is English, French, German.
Middle name is English, Welsh.
Last name is French, German.

Balders gate
Friday, February 24th, 2012, 09:27 PM
My first name is Carl Or Karl whatever spelling is fine with me. But birth name is spelled Carl. I guess it's norse.

My middle name is Arthur and its Welsh.

My last name is all I am going to say is northern european and it has 2 sets of dots above 2 letters whatever they mean.

BigNoise
Friday, February 24th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Hebrew first name (:thumbdown)

Germanic middle name (plan on going by this in the near future...current job and residence makes doing it now impractical).

French last name (bastardized when my great grandfather came to America from Germany). As it should be, it is Prussian/Lithuanian.

The Hungry Hun
Friday, February 24th, 2012, 09:53 PM
First name: Biblical Hebrew (though, for the record, its not common among Jews today)

Middle Name: French/English form of a badass German name

Last Name: Sicilian :-O

Alamanne
Saturday, February 25th, 2012, 11:38 AM
My first name is "Uwe", a germanic-nordic name.
My second is a catholic one.
My family name is a typical germanic-suebi name ( originates around the Elbe-area back in ancient times)

SaxonPagan
Saturday, February 25th, 2012, 12:38 PM
My first name has Welsh origins, my surname is English.

My middle name is frankly an embarrassment and I don't use it any more ;)

Sefo
Monday, March 5th, 2012, 05:04 PM
My Last name has English origins apparently. Its the 14th most common in Britain, so I dunno. :P

twiggie
Wednesday, March 7th, 2012, 12:06 AM
My first name is Nick, which is pretty much Greek. My last name is definitely English.

hyidi
Wednesday, March 7th, 2012, 03:12 AM
Name: Alyson. It's Scottish and Irish origin = Allison is 'Noble kind; of the noble sort'.

I do not know what category my name belongs to on the voting board, so I can't vote. :/

Dohtig
Wednesday, March 7th, 2012, 03:36 AM
My father, grandfather and I, all have first middle and last names that are Anglo Saxon.

VanDiemen
Sunday, March 11th, 2012, 09:11 AM
First name Slavic (long story)
Middle Norse
Last Celtic

But even though my first name is Slavic I still love it, its rare, but in Oz its considered female. In Eastern Europe its a male name though.

MaximusMagnus
Monday, March 12th, 2012, 08:54 PM
My first and middle names are Celtic

My surname orginated in Northern Germany, there are 3 place names that have my Surname--One in the Jutland, One in Ost Prussia and one beleive it or not in a Saxon Settlement in Scotland. It is an old Nordic name, it is somethimes used as a first name in Denmark and has versions of it in Norway and Sweeden.

My family immigrated from the Rhineland. As the family legend goes the one swho converted to Protestantism stayed in the North, the ones who stayed Catholic moved to Westfallen and the Rhineland.

MaximusMagnus
Monday, March 12th, 2012, 09:02 PM
French last name (bastardized when my great grandfather came to America from Germany). As it should be, it is Prussian/Lithuanian.

That is pretty common; my Surname had the umlauts removed, the von dropped and an English vowel combo put in. That was done by the US Government in an attempt to anglicize the Germans immigrating in to the US

A good friend of mine had a similar thing happen to him. His surname was vonPaulus now it is just Paul

WhiskyAndHaggis
Monday, April 16th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Surname - MacLellan (Gaelic - Mac Gill Fhaolain the son of the friend (or servant) of Fillan).

Origin - Galloway, South west Scotland - Balmaclellan (the town of Maclellan)

Hrafn Odinnsson
Tuesday, April 17th, 2012, 05:26 AM
My first, middle, and last is 100% Germanic, my Heathen name is obvious!

Svanhild
Tuesday, April 17th, 2012, 01:34 PM
My prename, Sabine, is Roman. My surname is German and a regional designator.

MoreNordidThanYou
Tuesday, April 17th, 2012, 04:34 PM
My first name is Ryan. Gaelic for little king.
My surname:
"This ancient surname can be of pre 7th century Norse-Viking, Old English, French, Norman-French or even Gaelic origins!"

In my case it is Gaelic/Norse Viking.

OneWolf
Wednesday, April 18th, 2012, 01:16 AM
First name-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah

Surname-http://genealogy.about.com/od/surname_meaning/p/baker.htm

;)

Plantagenet
Wednesday, April 18th, 2012, 01:39 AM
My first name is of Old English origin, my middle name is of Gaelic origin, and my surname is Northern English of Old Norse origin, which came to England via the Norman conquest.

Looking through my family tree there is actually a ton of Norman surnames, probably more than any other. Because most of my continental surnames are from Frankish areas of Germany, I always like to envision myself as a modern descendant of the Anglo-Saxons, Normans, Vikings, and Franks. Feels good man.

Todesritter
Saturday, April 21st, 2012, 09:08 AM
Refraining from voting as a single choice would not seem to make sense - there is no split option.

First Name = Celtic / Gaelic, an old hunters name & associated with a mythological pre-Christian Irish king
1st Middle Name = Celtic / Welsh (androgynous), mythological pre-Christian
2nd Middle Name = Germanic / Gothic, a historical conquering Gothic king's name
Family Name = Germanic / Anglo-Saxon, a very old English toponym, whose German equivalent is only a couple letters different in spelling but pronounced very similarly

MidgardPatriot
Saturday, April 21st, 2012, 09:34 AM
Mother's name is ancient Saxon, Fathers name is ancient Danish.

Germaid
Saturday, April 21st, 2012, 10:40 AM
I don't know what to choose, my first name is the Russian pet form of the latinised version of a Hebrew name. :scratch My last name is a German name.

Juthunge
Saturday, April 21st, 2012, 11:04 AM
Refraining from voting as a single choice would not seem to make sense - there is no split option.

I don't know what to choose, my first name is the Russian pet form of the latinised version of a Hebrew name. :scratch My last name is a German name.

This thread is actually about the ethnic origin of first names only, not surnames. But someone seems to have started a trend at some point in this thread and this is where the confusion stems from. ;)
If we were to include both first and last names, and even middle names, we'd end up with an unfeasible large poll.
The corresponding thread for surnames can be found here (http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=95817).

Todesritter
Saturday, April 21st, 2012, 04:04 PM
This thread is actually about the ethnic origin of first names only, not surnames. But someone seems to have started a trend at some point in this thread and this is where the confusion stems from. ;)
If we were to include both first and last names, and even middle names, we'd end up with a unfeasibly large poll.
The corresponding thread for surnames can be found here (http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=95817).

Thanks, polling in this and the other accordingly then

Hrodebert
Tuesday, April 24th, 2012, 11:34 PM
First name's a very common germanic name, middle name's a variant of a germanic name, and last but not least a patronymic norwegian surname. :thumbup

Hans Ole Olsen
Wednesday, April 25th, 2012, 05:55 AM
My first name is the anglicised form of a Hebrew biblical name. I wish traditional names were taken more seriously in American society, but sadly biblical and "exotic" names have taken much more root than proper ones.

Coillearnach
Monday, May 14th, 2012, 01:21 AM
It's Old English and refers to a plant. Pretty much my entire name is derived from flora - I like that :-D:

Teutonicus
Monday, May 14th, 2012, 03:10 AM
My first name is Germanic and I am pround to have this name. My middle name is from Celtic.

Herr Weigelt
Monday, May 14th, 2012, 04:41 AM
My first name is a Celtic word/name, my middle name is an English word and name for a saint, and my last name is a French name for a town in France, God give me strength.