PDA

View Full Version : Norway Attacks Editorial Cartoon Stirs Controversy

Coureur de Bois
Friday, July 29th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Cartoon depicts turban-wearing men celebrating Norway massacre

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2011/07/28/ns-mi-cbpost-cartoon.jpg

An editorial cartoonist in Sydney, N.S., has drawn controversy over his cartoon showing turban-wearing extremists celebrating Friday's massacre in Norway.

The cartoon didn't go over well with some Cape Breton Post readers.

Toby Morris was at first puzzled by what he found on the editorial page, and then outraged.

Morris feels the cartoon is racist and promotes hatred.

"Why illustrate somebody wearing a turban, enjoying the fact that there was a terrorist attack in Norway? Why not put them in a kilt? I notice they are not IRA gunman — they still exist, there still are problems in Ireland with terrorist attacks — but these are not Irish, they are not Basque terrorists in northern Spain."

Morris is not alone. So far, the Cape Breton Post has received four letters of complaint and some angry phone calls about the cartoon.

The man behind the drawing is Sean Casey, who says he is surprised that people are upset. He believes it makes the political point he wanted to get across — that extremists are alike regardless of doctrine.

He also believes it is his job to create controversy.

"If there is a venue for an image that might be despicable or insensitive, that's the editorial cartoon. You can't do that in a regular newspaper. You can't be an essayist or columnist and write stuff like that," said Casey. "A responsible journalism editorial cartoonist is supposed to be like a jester in the king's court who gets away with saying things … where a regular person would have their head cut off by the king."

The newspaper is standing behind the cartoon and the cartoonist.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/07/28/ns-cape-breton-editorial-cartoon.html

velvet
Friday, July 29th, 2011, 03:46 PM
"Why illustrate somebody wearing a turban, enjoying the fact that there was a terrorist attack in Norway? Why not put them in a kilt? I notice they are not IRA gunman they still exist, there still are problems in Ireland with terrorist attacks but these are not Irish, they are not Basque terrorists in northern Spain."

Maybe the IRA gunman dont celebrate Norway's bombing and killing spree? Maybe the Basque "terrorists" (who only fight for independence from their oppressor Spain) dont celebrate it either?

The Jews celebrate it in their newspapers, and the Islamic terrorists who do, in contrast to all other "terrorists", international bombing business around the globe, celebrate it too. So that is perfectly correct that the cartoon has turbans and not basque cappies.

Good that the newspaper backs its cartoonist, not many have the balls to do so these days once someone draws the race-trump card :thumbup

Coureur de Bois
Friday, July 29th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Maybe the IRA gunman dont celebrate Norway's bombing and killing spree? Maybe the Basque "terrorists" (who only fight for independence from their oppressor Spain) dont celebrate it either?

The Jews celebrate it in their newspapers, and the Islamic terrorists who do, in contrast to all other "terrorists", international bombing business around the globe, celebrate it too. So that is perfectly correct that the cartoon has turbans and not basque cappies.

Good that the newspaper backs its cartoonist, not many have the balls to do so these days once someone draws the race-trump card :thumbup

Yes, and these attacks are beneficial to Muslim extremists in more ways than one: the obvious, Westerners died, but also, Western police are going to now spend more resources on right-wing extremist terrorism and those resources will be taken away from task forces investigating Jihadist cells. Also, because the motive of the shooter was a deep-seeded hatred of Muslims, they have a nice convenient victim card to add to their rallying call.

Marielise
Friday, July 29th, 2011, 04:04 PM
They sure celebrated when the World Trade Center attacks happened. They don't like us, and I know that for a fact. I had university friends who were muslims and even though they lived here and enjoyed a quiet peaceful life in Canada, they still don't like our way of life and they judge us. I eventually stopped hanging out with them cause even though they seemed westernized, the way they thought was way to different from my point of views and I felt uncomfortable being with them.

Gardisten
Friday, July 29th, 2011, 04:04 PM
"four letters of complaint and some angry phone calls"

So that's all that this editorial cartoon gets as a response, yet the CBC has to turn this into a national news issue? Seems to me that the CBC is constantly on the look out for anything remotely "racist" in order to make a story out of it.

I love the "at first confused... then outraged" part. Apparently it takes a few moments for the leftist brainwashing to kick in.

SaxonPagan
Friday, July 29th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Here's another recent incident with this newspaper and its cartoons ...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2010/09/21/star-of-david-cartoon-le-droit.html

This time it was the paranoid Jews who were objecting. I wonder what happened to the cartoonist after that one? ;)

velvet
Friday, July 29th, 2011, 04:30 PM
This time it was the paranoid Jews who were objecting. I wonder what happened to the cartoonist after that one? ;)

Probably not much, because, how hard I try, I just cannot see the alleged star. :shrug

The comments are great:
"Religious zealots see images of The Virgin Mary or Jesus in their peanut butter.

Morality zealots see sexual images in ice cubes and art displays.

Makes you wonder about groups who see anti-Semitism in everything...including cartoons depicting Parliament Hill."

:D

And one has to wonder, since the medias are eager to report on everything even only slightly "racist", why they never report about the Jewish Supremacist and very vocal racist terror organisation B'nai B'rith. But of course that would be "anti-semitic" after all :oanieyes

Hersir
Friday, July 29th, 2011, 04:50 PM
"Even after the attack from the extreme right, it's still militant islamists who pose the largest threat to Europe, says Interpol.

It's rare that the extreme right are behind large terror acts, they usually set fires or use violence.

Europol's anual reports show that there has been very few extreme right attacks. In 2010 no extreme right attacks were noted, but there were 45 attacks from the extreme left.

At the same time, seperatist attacks are different from islamic attacks because islamic attacks usually involve a large number of dead.

Interpol has asked european police for help to update their database over the members of the extreme right, especially in northern europe.

http://www.forskning.no/kortnytt

Gardisten
Friday, July 29th, 2011, 05:10 PM
"The cartoon is disgusting," Dimant said. "It's the kind of classic cartoon that we saw throughout the ages of Jews controlling government, Jews controlling banking institutions.

"It's a horrific cartoon. It's vile and it depicts an untruth."

Interesting assertion. Their own media has openly stated that they have shifted their support to the ruling Conservatives, and it's no big secret that it was the fundraising done by a Jew--Senator Irving Gerstein, which was recently charged for violations of the Canada Elections Act--in the Jewish community has significantly benefited the party. Elections Canada maintains a public database in which one can search contributions made during an election to the various candidates. One will find that the majority of Jews will contribute to their Conservative candidate. More interesting is the fact that some will even contribute to candidates from different parties in different ridings, depending, it appears, on which candidate they believe will win.

Berlichingen
Saturday, July 30th, 2011, 02:53 AM
A whole four letters of complaint! I doubt that counts as "controversy".

Of course, with this article now in circulation the newspaper can expect all sorts of angry letters and threats from people who aren't even subscribers.