PDA

View Full Version : So We Americans Are Finally Getting Into Football (Soccer)

Eppillus
Wednesday, July 20th, 2011, 08:44 PM
I've been into football myself for years, but until the world cup I had hardly ever heard anything on the news about it, but now it seems to be getting roughly the same amount of coverage as Hockey (My favorite sport, also greatly under-appreciated) which while not very much is still more than it's had in a long time.

My question is, do you think it will snowball and last, or fizzle out quickly?

If you believe (Like I hope) that it snowballs, what effect do you think this will have in bringing American culture a more international mindset?

Patrioten
Wednesday, July 20th, 2011, 09:06 PM
The women's soccer? For some reason it has gotten massive media attention here as well whereas it usually goes under the radar since there isn't a large enough demand. To me it just seems staged and another left-wing media push. If people want to watch the games then good for them, they now have ample of opportunity to do so, but let's not kid ourselves that this is something other than a politically motivated media blitz. Build it and they will come is I guess the reasoning behind it, people weren't interested in the past but if the media pretends that it is hugely popular all of the sudden people will take notice and care.

Ĉmeric
Wednesday, July 20th, 2011, 09:22 PM
The women's soccer? For some reason it has gotten massive media attention here as well whereas it usually goes under the radar since there isn't a large enough demand. To me it just seems staged and another left-wing media push.

Same here in the US. The media gave it a lot of coverage, for PC reasons but except for a special interest group (lesbians) I don't think anyone cared. Even the feminists don't really care for women's soccer itself, just the symbolism of "equality in sports".

Soccer is a popular youth league & scholastic sport but I don't see it rivaling the NFL, MLB, NBA or even the NHL. People who do like professional soccer can catch the Premier League, Bundesliga etc.. on Fox. Much of what popularity professional soccer has gained in recent years in the US is from Hispanic immigration, which could stigmatize the sport among White Americans - who would want to go to a stadium full of gang bangers?

SaxonPagan
Wednesday, July 20th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Regardless of the political agenda, I'd have the say it was an excellent tournament (with a surprisingly high standard of play!) and in some ways a refreshing change from watching a load of blokes constantly spitting, arguing with officials and feigning injury.

In fact, they were more "macho" than the men in this last respect ... but that's a different topic altogether ;) :D

OneWolf
Wednesday, July 20th, 2011, 09:46 PM
No offense my European friends but there is only one type of football I watch......

Z1MpHG5x6q0

Roy Williams with the Blitz and Teddy Lehman with the Pick!

Primus
Thursday, July 21st, 2011, 12:45 AM
It's about time?! :-O

Eppillus
Thursday, July 21st, 2011, 02:48 AM
I had meant starting at the Mens World Cup in South Africa. The womens one did get a lot of attention, but I mean mens international and our own MLS has been getting mainstream media attention lately.

I'm not downing womens football, but I don't watch it myself.

Austin
Saturday, September 10th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Anybody who thinks soccer is getting popular here is smoking some really good drugs.

The only people who take soccer seriously here (the entire U.S.) are Mexicans.

Frostbite
Saturday, September 10th, 2011, 01:57 AM
There's a major soccer team here, but it's not very good.

It's hard to get excited about American teams when they always lose.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Thursday, December 29th, 2011, 10:15 AM
My favorite team sports are soccer and hockey instead of baseball and basketball, like how I prefer root beer instead of cola. :) Soccer is a very big thing in England, so I do not see why, when people wear Manchester United jerseys, that others claim it is a Mexican influence. Duh!

Caoimhe
Sunday, January 1st, 2012, 11:21 PM
No offense my European friends but there is only one type of football I watch......

Z1MpHG5x6q0

Roy Williams with the Blitz and Teddy Lehman with the Pick!

Handegg?

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Friday, May 25th, 2018, 12:49 PM
Suburban "soccer moms" are hardly lesbian. Neither is my wife who played youth basketball. Female gym coaches can be lesbian and I unfortunately had to deal with one, but it's not universal or more likely than not.