PDA

View Full Version : Relative Finder on 23andme

Hesse
Wednesday, July 13th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Is anyone familiar with how accurate the relative finder on 23andme is? It is said to pinpoint 6th cousins and closer relationships, but I am not familar with any of the surnames or other family informations of the matches I got on relative finder. As far as I know none of the matches I got share great great great great grandparents with me, yet, they are saying that they are distant cousins to me. Anyone know why this might be?

Magni
Wednesday, July 13th, 2011, 02:46 AM
You have 64 great great great great grandparents. You know who all of them are? They will most likely have thousands of descendants alive today.

Hesse
Wednesday, July 13th, 2011, 03:32 AM
You have 64 great great great great grandparents. You know who all of them are?

I know nearly all of them, in fact there are only a few I don't know.

Magni
Wednesday, July 13th, 2011, 03:44 AM
They still have thousands of descendants as I stated above though. Surely you do not know all of them?

Hesse
Wednesday, July 13th, 2011, 03:47 AM
They still have thousands of descendants as I stated above though. Surely you do not know all of them?

I believe I know nearly all of my great great great great grandparents, and none of the names look familiar

Magni
Wednesday, July 13th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Hmm. Well that is odd then. Maybe they are trying to fool you for some reason?

Naglfari
Wednesday, July 13th, 2011, 11:55 PM
They are probably more distantly related than 23andme indicates and you match a few generations earlier. What is the cM length of the match?

Hesse
Thursday, July 14th, 2011, 12:44 AM
They are probably more distantly related than 23andme indicates and you match a few generations earlier. What is the cM length of the match?

I don't know how many my closest match is; he isn't sharing genomes it's a 2nd or 3rd cousin according to relative finder, but I reckognize none of the surnames or family informations and I don't see how they could fit into my paper trail genealogy.

Naglfari
Thursday, July 14th, 2011, 01:04 AM
I don't know how many my closest match is; he isn't sharing genomes it's a 2nd or 3rd cousin according to relative finder, but I reckognize none of the surnames or family informations and I don't see how they could fit into my paper trail genealogy.

Download the Google Chrome browser and install this extension http://23pp.david-web.co.uk/

It will translate the % into cM length plus has a bunch of other nifty features.

If you don't want to go to all that trouble, what is the percentage and how many segments do you match on?

Maybe they were adopted and don't know it or there was a name change due to anti-German sentiment during both world wars and your match followed the wrong trail. Genealogy is messy business.

Hesse
Thursday, August 4th, 2011, 05:36 PM
I did contact some of my closest matches on relative finder, and they shared with me their family trees online, and after finding out a little bit more about their ancestors and family, I actually was able to

find genealogical connections between these predicted relatives, and that we do share common ancestors after all.

However, the relationship I found was more distant than what relative finder predicted. For example I have found a predicted 3rd to 6 cousin match on my relative finder, who actually turned out to be not a close cousin through one set of ancestors, but rather a more a more distant cousin but several times over, through several lineages.

What I'm saying is, this relative who was supposed to be a 3rd to 6th cousin actually turned out to be a more distant cousin who was related to me through several pairs of ancestors (i.e 10th cousin relationships) way way back rather than one closer match (i.e 3rd-6th cousins).

Now, for my question. Does this make sence for a person who is a distant cousin several times over to show up as a closer cousin on realtive finder? Can the relative finder tell the difference between close cousins and more distant cousins but through several lineages? If a person is lets say, a 10th cousin through several pairs of ancestors, can the DNA shared add up to actually being more like closer cousins?

This match is at at .38% similarity, but were actually 9th cousins 9 times over, 8th cousins two times over, and several other areas, 28.2 cM shared on 1 segment.

Is this normal? Or is it indicative that there was a mix-up of samples during processing and I accedently received someone elses test results????

Scario
Thursday, August 4th, 2011, 06:20 PM
(My thoughts, no physical evidence exists for this theory)

Depending on the type of test taken (Maternal or Paternal), and if that bloodline was true for some generations (Maternal - Grandma, Mom, Daughter) then broken (Great Grandma, Grandma, Father, Daughter), the relationship by DNA may show some closer cousins, but in truth be more distant. My thoughts on what I know of DNA and genealogy.

Gaiseric
Sunday, February 19th, 2012, 09:15 AM
How accurate can these tests be???? Last time I checked a global dna database hasn't been setup yet. Not to mention dna technology has only been around for a little less than a 100 years.... Im so confused on how this process actually works....