PDA

View Full Version : Beauty Tips and Girly Stuff Like That

Lady Vengeance
Sunday, June 19th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Alrighty, how bout we start a fashion/beauty/cosmetic/whatever thread? Just to trade ideas and tips with each other. (Yes, it's a Sunday afternoon and I've got nothing better to do ;))

I'll start off with this one:

If I get dry lips, I sometimes put honey on them. Now I've used many artificial lotions over the years, but honey is a great natural one. I leave the honey on for about 10 min or more, and it leaves the lips nice and soft. Then I just lick the honey away. :) It makes your lips look a lot more kissable.

Germaid
Sunday, June 19th, 2011, 04:04 PM
If my hair is really dry, looks dull and is and uncombable, I melt one or two blocks of coconut fat (refined! otherwise you'll smell like a coconut) and pour it over my hair. You need to leave it in for about two hours, then just wash it out with ordinary shampoo. It works, after this procedure your hair will be soft and shiny. :)

Thusnelda
Sunday, June 19th, 2011, 08:29 PM
A good idea for a thread. :thumbup

Well, when my skin becomes dry during winter I add two or three liters of fresh milk to the water in the bathtube, the contents of the milk affect the skin while bathing and make it more soft and balances the moisture level. :)

One of the most useful local flowers is marigold. It becalms the stomach when taken as a tea and it has nearly magical effects on injured or rough skin when applied as marigold salve. We have a receipt how to mix own marigold salve but I haven´t tried it yet. Hildegard von Bingen figured out very much useful knowledge about the positive effects of domestic plants and flowers.

Concentrated chamomile tea is able to clear the air passages (when having a cold or catarrh) in some less seconds when inhaled. It also has positive effects on inflammations of eyes and nose. And unlike artificial products, it doesn´t has the danger of addiction.

And like Lady V I fight dry, chapped lips with honey. But the difference is that I mix honey and curd (or quark) in a ratio of 50:50 before applying it.

Ælfrun
Sunday, June 19th, 2011, 08:42 PM
If my hair is really dry, looks dull and is and uncombable, I melt one or two blocks of coconut fat (refined! otherwise you'll smell like a coconut) and pour it over my hair. You need to leave it in for about two hours, then just wash it out with ordinary shampoo. It works, after this procedure your hair will be soft and shiny. :)

Coconut oil works great for a body moisturizer as well if you have really dry skin, and also it helps prevent and fade stretch marks ^^

Wittmann
Thursday, June 23rd, 2011, 09:31 AM
Random Male Input, who has no experience with this but grew up with Sisters. :D

Put on a coat of clear nail polish before a colored polish to keep your nails from discoloring.

After washing your face splash it a bit with cool (not cold) water to help close the pores so you don't get dirty again.

Lady Vengeance
Sunday, June 26th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the Random Male Input, not expected but always welcome. :D

Another great tip: Use lavender massage oil as an after-shower lotion. Leaves the skin super-smooth, and smells nice.

Wittmann
Sunday, June 26th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the Random Male Input, not expected but always welcome. :D

Another great tip: Use lavender massage oil as an after-shower lotion. Leaves the skin super-smooth, and smells nice.

Always happy to help :D

One of the best things you can do for your health is drink at least eight cups of water a day (About four to six water bottles, and more if you're active). Hair is 25% water, and water is what causes it to have a "full" look to it, so when looking for a way to give your hair some more "oomph" don't look for a new shampoo, look for the sink! :thumbup

Northern Paladin
Sunday, June 26th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Always happy to help :D

One of the best things you can do for your health is drink at least eight cups of water a day (About four to six water bottles, and more if you're active). Hair is 25% water, and water is what causes it to have a "full" look to it, so when looking for a way to give your hair some more "oomph" don't look for a new shampoo, look for the sink! :thumbup

Yes, but you don't want to drink too much water all at once, that could cause water intoxication and death.

Ælfrun
Sunday, June 26th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Natural Beauty
by author Alana Gold, RD

Do you ever wonder how celebrities get their skin so smooth, flawless, and wrinkle-free? Do you wonder what beauty treatments might help you achieve that same youthful glow? Well, truth be told, no beauty treatment can be truly successful without a good basic skin care regimen of cleansing, toning, and moisturizing.

Natural beauty products (meaning they are derived directly from plants as opposed to being produced synthetically), have received great attention in recent years as causing fewer allergic reactions. Research carried out in 1994 by the US Food and Drug Administration found that nearly one-quarter of people surveyed had suffered an allergic reaction to synthetic cosmetic products.

Steps to Healthy Skin

Getting into a daily skin care regimen can help improve the texture of your skin, minimize fine lines, and protect your skin from aging.

Cleansing helps remove pollutants, although cleansing your skin incorrectly can strip it of natural oils that are essential for healthy, soft skin. If you have dry skin, try a cream- or lotion-based cleansing product. If you have oily skin on your face, try a gel- or water-based product. Those who are prone to breakouts may want to use a medicated soap or lotion formulated to decrease breakouts. Cleansing should be done both morning and night.

The most common natural ingredients used in cleansers include tea tree oil, which acts as an antiseptic, and aloe vera, which is a natural moisturizer. For the body, use a gentle body wash. Fruit oils are commonly found in shower gels and soaps to nourish and hydrate the skin. Common fruit oils include citrus fruits, banana, melon, pineapple, and apple.

Toners help tighten the pores and restore the skin’s pH balance. They also help cleanse the skin of leftover cleanser or make-up. Rose water is a natural toner that also has anti-inflammatory effects. Other additions to natural toners include the antioxidant vitamin C, alpha hydroxy acids (fruit and milk-based acids), and almond oil extract.

A moisturizer is essential to hydrate and protect the skin from damage, and to keep it looking young. Natural moisturizers generally contain cocoa butter, shea butter, essential oils, and aloe vera, which all help to protect and soften the skin.

A moisturizing cream should be applied every morning and evening to the face and body (you probably want to buy one specifically designed for the face). If you have dry skin, you should choose a moisturizer containing oil, and if you have oily skin you should choose water-based creams and oil-free formulas.

For a natural facial moisturizer, mix 50 mL of pure hazelnut oil, 10 drops of pure camomile essential oil, and 10 drops of pure lavender essential oil. Place in a dark glass bottle and shake well before use.

Natural exfoliants help remove the dull layer of surface skin and reveal the new skin beneath. They also help to reduce the appearance of pores and fine wrinkles. Natural exfoliating treatments may contain alpha hydroxy acids, natural muds, or salts to remove impurities in the skin. Try exfoliating once or twice a week, depending on your skin type.

Drinking plenty of pure distilled water is essential for healthy, hydrated, and clear-looking skin.

Healthy Diet

Radiant skin also comes from the inside out. Ensure a wholesome diet filled with fruit, vegetables, essential fats, whole grains, and lean proteins.

Maintaining optimal health as well as developing a routine that keeps your skin clean, toned, exfoliated, and moisturized can help you look your best so you too can shine like your favourite star.

Alana Gold, RD, is a registered dietitian who uses her nutrition expertise to educate others about health and wellness issues.

Source: alive #270, April 2005

http://www.alive.com/3129a6a2.php?subject_bread_cramb=76

catywampusness
Monday, June 27th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Coconut oil works great for a body moisturizer as well if you have really dry skin, and also it helps prevent and fade stretch marks ^^

I didn't know about the fading of stretch marks with coconut oil. I do use almond oil most of the time as my skin doesn't seem to tolerate most mass-produced varieties of lotions. I find it does a really good job and soaks in quickly so I don't get greasiness all over things. I use it in my hair before shampooing when it's dry as well - keeps the shampoo from over-drying and ending up brittle.

Ælfrun
Monday, June 27th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I didn't know about the fading of stretch marks with coconut oil. I do use almond oil most of the time as my skin doesn't seem to tolerate most mass-produced varieties of lotions. I find it does a really good job and soaks in quickly so I don't get greasiness all over things. I use it in my hair before shampooing when it's dry as well - keeps the shampoo from over-drying and ending up brittle.

Almond oil is so good for our skin also. Coconut oil is really good also. We sell so much organic coconut oil at my store.

Sigurd
Monday, June 27th, 2011, 10:51 PM
More random male input. ;)

Well, when my skin becomes dry during winter I add two or three liters of fresh milk to the water in the bathtube, the contents of the milk affect the skin while bathing and make it more soft and balances the moisture level. :)

Any substitute for that when one doesn't have a bathtub in one's flat? I have a mild case of neurodermitis, worse in winter (but not as bad as a comrade), and it certainly sounds like something that's easily done without coming across as too camp. :shrug

Oh, and it shouldn't make the skin über-soft of course, I don't need a beauty tip, I just want a somewhat less dry and thus less itchy skin, not a silky girly one. :P

Concentrated chamomile tea is able to clear the air passages (when having a cold or catarrh) in some less seconds when inhaled.

Most herbs will do that. When suffering from a cold, English plantain in honey form (tea can sometimes kill the natural anti-septic) is very useful. Also, its sister plant, Common plantain is useful for infections of the digestive tract as well as general wound healing especially insect bites, strongly naturally anti-septic.

Marigold is also useful for throat infections in that its extract mixed with water is a good thing if gargling's to be on the menu, but do NOT swallow it. Anyway, if you need advice on how to make extracts and salves from marigold, my mother should have a recipe here somewhere (it's her all the herbal knowledge comes from, sometimes used to creep my girlfriends out when I knew a herb against menstrual pains :D) as well. :)

Ælfrun
Tuesday, July 5th, 2011, 01:58 AM
5 Totally Unnecessary (but Common) Beauty Products

1. Foundation Primers

Foundation primers are said to smooth out the skin and prepare it for the application of foundation. However, most primers are made from silicone-based formulas, which can clog pores, and the results are negligible. Investing in quality cleansers and moisturizers will do more than any foundation primer.

2. Toners

Toners are alcohol-based products that are intended to get rid of any additional traces of oil or makeup from your face after you wash it. However, alcohol is harsh on the skin. A good cleanser, often in conjunction with makeup remover, can easily eliminate all the makeup and dirt from your face, making a toner pretty much pointless.

3. Cellulite Creams

The appearance of cellulite is caused by the connective tissue that separates the fat in our bodies from the dermis. Holes in the tissue cause fat to protrude through the tissue, creating a dimply appearance to the skin. While 80 to 90 percent of adult women have cellulite and wish they didn’t, no topical treatment can reduce body fat or change the structure of our connective tissue. Which means cellulite creams are about as effective as snake oil—regardless of what the price or promise.

4. Lip Plumpers

Lip plumpers work one of two ways. They either boost collagen and maximize lip hydration through proprietary formulas or make blood vessels temporarily dilate by employing irritating agents like camphor or menthol. However, the results are minimal and temporary.

A better bet is to keep lips moisturized with a lip balm and add a shimmery gloss to the center of your lips to create the appearance of enhanced fullness.

5. Eye Creams

Unless you have very sensitive skin that’s prone to developing millia (small, hard keratin-filled cysts that are sometimes confused with whiteheads) or you want a targeted eye cream with different active ingredients than your moisturizer, there’s really no need for a separate eye product. Also, many eye creams do not contain sunscreen the way most moisturizers do, so if you do opt for a separate cream, make sure you’re taking precautions against sun damage around your eyes.

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/5-totally-unnecessary--but-common--beauty-products.html

Germanic women must keep their good looks without all of this junk being applied. Best thing to do is just moisturize daily. I do not use SPF either as I believe it causes more harm than not.

Ælfrun
Thursday, July 28th, 2011, 06:01 PM
http://c.chegg.com/covers2/680000/689244_1307502605.jpg

So I have been having problems with my complexion because of the toxic environment I live in. I just recently read this book and am following his tips. He suggests multivitamins and different creams to use that are all natural! My skin has cleared up and looks amazing. This is an amazing book.

Lady Vengeance
Monday, August 15th, 2011, 11:30 PM
*Resurrecting my thread from the dead*

I just heard this tip from a friend, and why not share it here: if you're getting split ends in your hair, dip them in olive oil before shampooing your hair after a while. I don't have this problem much, but I heard the oil works wonders.

Also, I use the Chance Chanel perfume. Love what it does to my skin (makes it all soft and silky). It’s a very light, feminine, soft fragrance. Used to be the one I wore every day. Now I'll wear it on summer days after having a cool shower.

Germaid
Monday, August 15th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Olive oil treatments might prevent split ends, but olive oil doesn't repair them. Only scissors cure split ends.

Rosemarie
Tuesday, August 16th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Beer is great for adding shine to hair..

Germaid
Tuesday, August 16th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I think you can use beer as a kind of hair mousse, too. I'm not sure if the smell of it stays or disappears. Any experience with beer?

Aeternitas
Tuesday, August 16th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Well that's true, "treating" the split ends with various products only temporarily seals them and solves the aesthetic aspect, the better alternative is however to cut them - the sooner the better, cause one'll have to cut less. I cut 1-2 cm every few months just for regeneration's sake. To prevent split ends I condition my hair 1-2 times a week. One can prepare a home-made conditioner from natural ingredients like honey, yogurt, fruits or even beer. I tried the latter but the downside is one's hair will smell like beer. :P Also dying, curling/straightening and other styling techniques which are heavy on the hair are known to cause split ends.

Sigurd
Tuesday, August 16th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I tried the latter but the downside is one's hair will smell like beer. :P

Better a girl that smells like a brewery than one that's just emptied a brewery. You don't have the carry home the former all twenty-five miles that the bus or taxi driver won't take you. :P

Volla
Tuesday, August 16th, 2011, 08:40 PM
My skin on my face is oily but sensitive and most facial products either irritate my skin or make me get pimples, but I found that plain old fashioned oatmeal and water clean my skin very well without irritation or breakouts. I just take some dry oates in my hand and wet them with lukewarm water and rub them in my hands until they get soft and creamy and then wash my face with them. The oats help to gently exfoliate too. I don't wear makeup usually so I'm not sure if it gets that off.

I like Murad's skin perfecting moisture. It's nice and light and has no spf. It's like 30 some USD on Sephora, but its worth it in my opinion.

My hair is long, thick, and wavy and I've found that if I get all of the knots out of my hair in the shower then just put in a leave in moisturizer when its wet and comb that through and let it air dry my hair looks nice and wavy but not really frizzy or poofy.

Lady Vengeance
Tuesday, August 16th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Begone from the ladies' thread, Siggy!

*Kicks out the male chauvinist and shuts the door* :P

Well that's true, "treating" the split ends with various products only temporarily seals them and solves the aesthetic aspect, the better alternative is however to cut them - the sooner the better, cause one'll have to cut less.
Well....obviously. I just heard the olive-oil cure was good if you have a usual tendency to get split ends. I condition my own hair, pretty regularly, so I don't get that problem much. Haven't tried the oil thing yet.

Another tip: almond oil is great when taking care of your nails.

Astrid Runa
Tuesday, August 16th, 2011, 11:58 PM
As someone who suffers from rashes and whatnot from using common cosmetic products (most of which contain things like Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate and Parabens (SLS is used in carwashes. That's what makes your shower gel/soap/shampoo foam. Dries out the skin badly. Parabens have been linked to causing breast cancer in women and low sperm count in men)), so, I tend to go for more natural products.

In terms of hair, you shouldn't actually be using shampoo/conditioner/hair products. It's actually been said that shampoo/conditioner/hair products is what causes the majority of hair problems. In fact, you shouldn't wash your hair with anything except water. But, I know that it's not a very good idea for a lot of people, seeings how your hair will go through a detox period in which it will stink like Hell and is pretty much plastered to your skull for six weeks. So, my alternative to this is:
Mix about a tablespoon of Bicarbonate of Soda into a paste with a little bit of water and scrub that onto your scalp and hair, then rinse it out. As a final rinse, mix white vinegar with water and rinse it through your hair. Do not wash out.

Lemon juice is good for your hair, also. Mix some lemon juice with water and use it as a final rinse. It's been known to lighten your hair (but won't work if you use it on dyed hair, sadly).

Beer is also good for your hair (I mean REAL beer), but you MUST rinse it out after a couple of minutes otherwise you'll smell like a brewery.
Same applies for using egg on your hair (yes, egg). You must wash it out with COLD water. Not warm, not hot, otherwise the egg will cook, and getting scrambled egg out of your hair is a nightmare.

Rosemarie
Wednesday, August 17th, 2011, 04:37 AM
My skin on my face is oily but sensitive and most facial products either irritate my skin or make me get pimples, but I found that plain old fashioned oatmeal and water clean my skin very well without irritation or breakouts. I just take some dry oates in my hand and wet them with lukewarm water and rub them in my hands until they get soft and creamy and then wash my face with them. The oats help to gently exfoliate too. I don't wear makeup usually so I'm not sure if it gets that off.

I like Murad's skin perfecting moisture. It's nice and light and has no spf. It's like 30 some USD on Sephora, but its worth it in my opinion.

My hair is long, thick, and wavy and I've found that if I get all of the knots out of my hair in the shower then just put in a leave in moisturizer when its wet and comb that through and let it air dry my hair looks nice and wavy but not really frizzy or poofy.

Witch Hazel is an excellent astringent and toner for all skin types and it is gentle and non-irritating. I will have to try the dry oates on my skin..

Alfadur
Friday, August 19th, 2011, 04:18 PM
(Yet more male input)

My girlfriend sometimes puts unskimmed milk in her bathwater. She says it improves her skin.

Goomer
Friday, August 19th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Well...all I know is....as I sit here in my mid 40s, of both Celtic and Germanic heritages-both known to predispose a person to dry skin-I can say I have no wrinkles as of yet. None. Not even crowsfeet.
Basically, I've been putting moisturizer on my face now since I hit about the age of 17. But the best secret?

Stay the hell out of the sun. It will do your skin wonders:)

Astrid Runa
Saturday, August 20th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Well...all I know is....as I sit here in my mid 40s, of both Celtic and Germanic heritages-both known to predispose a person to dry skin-I can say I have no wrinkles as of yet. None. Not even crowsfeet.
Basically, I've been putting moisturizer on my face now since I hit about the age of 17. But the best secret?

Stay the hell out of the sun. It will do your skin wonders:)

A little impossible, don't you think? Especially for those of us who have to be out in the sun, or have social lives.
Some people's work require them to be out in the sun (farmers?). If you have dogs, you have to take them for walks.
It's not as simple as just staying out of the sun.

Hedensk
Sunday, October 2nd, 2011, 07:17 PM
Fish oil, fish oil, fish oil!! I am 30 years old now without a line on my face and very nice, clear skin. People are shocked when I tell them my age, many think I am 21-22 years.

I take caplets every single day. It's great for skin and shiny hair, and your brain too! :)

Unity Mitford
Sunday, October 2nd, 2011, 08:50 PM
beauty tips?

less is more! as for makeup, i usually only wear it on my eyes (sometimes a little concealer)

also: naturtint make a wonderful 'multiplier' which thickens and strengthens your hair threefold :)

Hedensk
Sunday, October 2nd, 2011, 10:53 PM
beauty tips?

less is more! as for makeup, i usually only wear it on my eyes (sometimes a little concealer)

also: naturtint make a wonderful 'multiplier' which thickens and strengthens your hair threefold :)

Ooh, I'll have to try that product. I've been growing my hair out for a few years now, but it's very fine and straight. It's pretty, but fragile. I'll give it a shot. ;)

Chris Clafton
Monday, October 3rd, 2011, 12:13 AM
In terms of hair, you shouldn't actually be using shampoo/conditioner/hair products. It's actually been said that shampoo/conditioner/hair products is what causes the majority of hair problems. In fact, you shouldn't wash your hair with anything except water. But, I know that it's not a very good idea for a lot of people, seeings how your hair will go through a detox period in which it will stink like Hell and is pretty much plastered to your skull for six weeks. So, my alternative to this is:
Mix about a tablespoon of Bicarbonate of Soda into a paste with a little bit of water and scrub that onto your scalp and hair, then rinse it out. As a final rinse, mix white vinegar with water and rinse it through your hair. Do not wash out..

I wash my hair with apple cider vinegar and Borax. Have been doing that for a while, and it feels great on my scalp. I wash the skin with borax and try to avoid commercial products "designed" for cleaning and shampooing. Not to mention it is pretty cheap on the pocketbooks. Now I just need to find a lotion with sun block in it without any chemicals to complete my health kit.

Frostbite
Monday, October 3rd, 2011, 10:20 PM
One way to keep your hair healthy is to not brush/comb it while it's wet. It's much more fragile wet.

Dry it and then you can comb it. A wide tooted comb or a boar bristle brush is best.

Always wear sunscreen, or moisturiser with sunscreen. Don't forget lip balm with spf. Cover your face, neck, chest, whatever is exposed.

It doesn't seem important now but in 20+ years you'll be glad you did. It really cuts down on age spots and wrinkles and things.

Battus Philenor
Tuesday, December 20th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Do not shampoo daily unless your hair tends to be super oily. Shampooing too much actually dries your hair out so only use it every other day. However, in order to maintain moisture you should condition every day. ;)

Also, there are probably a lot of blue-eyed ladies on these boards. Avoid blue eyeshadow. Believe it or not, brown eye shadows will compliment your blue eyes the most. If you're really looking to be glamorous then dark grey makes them pop too.

Elfriede
Tuesday, December 20th, 2011, 03:39 PM
You can make a really great hand/body scrub in the kitchen! You just take some brown sugar, honey, maybe a drop of essential oil, and I always add blueberry seeds but am not convinced that they do anything... and mix it all together. Put it in a cute container and there you go, homemade Christmas presents. It makes your skin feel really soft and the sugar exfoliates it as well.

Unity Mitford
Tuesday, December 20th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Do not shampoo daily unless your hair tends to be super oily. Shampooing too much actually dries your hair out so only use it every other day. However, in order to maintain moisture you should condition every day. ;)

Also, there are probably a lot of blue-eyed ladies on these boards. Avoid blue eyeshadow. Believe it or not, brown eye shadows will compliment your blue eyes the most. If you're really looking to be glamorous then dark grey makes them pop too.

disagree about blue eyeshadow :P it only works on blue eyes imo...

Germaid
Wednesday, January 11th, 2012, 06:00 PM
I think blue eye shadow works best on grey eyes. Mine are blue-grey and blue make-up looks very strange on me. I recommend grey or black for blue or blue-greyish eyes, something like this:

http://www.freundin.de/Artikel/37796107_ebed093476.jpg

Unity Mitford
Wednesday, January 11th, 2012, 06:32 PM
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43911194/ns/today-style/t/snailed-it-snail-slime-face-cream-hot-beauty-trend/#.Tw3VjGCXvLY

Wittmann
Wednesday, January 11th, 2012, 07:11 PM
From a guy's point of view.

Applying makeup is like applying colour correction in after effects, you don't want people to say "nice effect" or "nice makep", the goal is to subtley mix it in with the natural appearance to enchance how it looks, not create an entirely new one :)

Germaid
Wednesday, January 11th, 2012, 07:16 PM
The eye make-up I posted is suitable for going out at night, not for your office job, of course :D. In daylight you should apply something more unobstrusive, but that actually goes without saying.

Hersir
Wednesday, January 11th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Instead of using shaving gel or foam get a shaving soap and a brush.

http://www.fabstuff.net/images/prod/1EJ256ebonysbWR.jpg
http://www.bnbsoaps.com/images/shave1.jpg

So much better for your skin, and cheaper in the long run. I have a soap which smells of pine, very nice and manly.

To combat acne you can put after shave on it, works well for me. I've also had good experience with having tooth paste on acne for a while, and washing it off later.

After I reduced my sugar intake and started to work out more I've had very little problems with acne.

I read you can also change pillow covers every day (or sleep on a t-shirt), so the oil doesn't get all over your face.