PDA

View Full Version : Absinthe

Blutwölfin
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Absinthe is... something special and hard to describe with words. You love it or you hate is. Some people drink it for fun or because it's "trendy", some drink it just like every other kind of alcohol, some just feel its especialness and celebrate the act of drinking the "Green Goddess" or the "Green Fairy".

I have to admit that I belong to the last group for years now and get starry-eyed when thinking about the next time I will be able to enjoy Absinthe.

I don't drink it regularly for I don't want it to lose its magic. It's much more special when you wait for another occassion. But what is its "magic"? It hasn't got the effect of a "real drug" and if you don't trink too much of it you even don't get drunk; but there's a special feeling connected with Absinthe and maybe its effect is more on a mental level. You feel inebriated, creative and just tall... Not very easy to explain. But maybe some of the ones who have already tried it might now...

Some links of interest:

- The Virtual Absinthe Museum (http://www.oxygenee.com/absintheMUSEUM.html)

- Aleister Crowley about the Green Goddess (http://leda.lycaeum.org/?ID=12102)

- La Fee Verte (http://www.feeverte.net/)

Arcturus
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 09:23 PM
I hate the stuff. A vile, evil drink is what it is. The mere smell is enough for my stomach to knot..:frown:

I've never been a fan of raw, hard alcohol drinks, but this stuff... Pure evil is what it is.

http://www.photoglobal.ch/weblogbilder/316absint.gif

RedJack
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 09:32 PM
"Prolonged or excessive use can lead to madness"

Just ask Blood Axis. ;)

Loki
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 09:32 PM
I have to confess I've never had this, but you've really intrigued me now, Blutwölfin. :) You'll have to show me how it is done one day. ;)

Sigurd
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 09:38 PM
I generally like it, but I've never looked at it in the spirtual way...I've usually only drank it when I was already very drunk...so...
Hmmm... need to try the next time...

I just know once, the first time, it almost killed me, I downed to much of it at once :D

P.S.: BW, living in Austria, do you also have to habit to get STROH "80" when the beer's out???? :cool:

Blutwölfin
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 09:45 PM
I generally like it, but I've never looked at it in the spirtual way...I've usually only drank it when I was already very drunk...so...
Hmmm... need to try the next time...

Poor Absinthe! It's really not a drink that should be consumed to get drunk. It's taste is precious and it's almost rude IMHO to drink it like that... :frown:

Arcturus
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 09:46 PM
P.S.: BW, living in Austria, do you also have to habit to get STROH "80" when the beer's out???? :cool:

Oh no... two of the vilest things I have ever had the displeasure of drinking too much of, and I will never touch either EVER again.

Blutwölfin
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 09:51 PM

I don't drink very much. And I never would drink such a poor thing like Stroh Rum. It's for teenagers who only can afford to pay about 10 Euro for a bottle of alcohol or derelicts who don't enjoy wine in tetrapacks anymore. Or tourists who think that they're comsuming an Austrian delicacy.

DreamWalker
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 10:23 PM

Just ask Blood Axis. ;)
Now that's not a nice thing to say:D

Sigurd
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Poor Absinthe! It's really not a drink that should be consumed to get drunk. It's taste is precious and it's almost rude IMHO to drink it like that... :frown:

When I was already drunk, not to get drunk. This did not contribute to any blurring of the taste, but to the blurring of a possible spiritual perception through it.

Sigurd
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 10:48 PM
I don't drink very much. And I never would drink such a poor thing like Stroh Rum. It's for teenagers who only can afford to pay about 10 Euro for a bottle of alcohol or derelicts who don't enjoy wine in tetrapacks anymore. Or tourists who think that they're comsuming an Austrian delicacy.

Is this a hidden insult??? :scratch:

PS: I only drink it when there is absolutely no chance to get my hands on any proper beer, mead or cider. And there's kinda always a bottle around...somehow...

Blutwölfin
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 10:52 PM
:no000000:
No, of course not. I just wanted to express my strong feelings against Stroh Rum.

Sigurd
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Ah, OK, maybe just me thinking that everything's conspiring again ;)

Ummm...what else do we have? :coffee:

Oh, yes, I realised your habit to, when you find a good thing to post, to post it on all the forums ;)

Blutwölfin
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 10:56 PM
:offtopid:

Can we get back to the topic please?

Sigurd
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 11:02 PM
OK... as emphasized.. I do like Absinthe.

Loki
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Can someone please explain to me what you do with those funny spoons with holes in it? :scratch: I see it on all the pictures. Can you drink this stuff just as it is, or do you have to prepare it somehow?

Blutwölfin
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 11:08 PM
You can drink it "as it is", but this wouldn't be the right way. You put a sugar cube or just sugar on that spoon, pour a little bit of Absinthe ofer it and kindle it. The sugar will drop though the hole in the spoon (it's actually an Absinthe fork) in the glas and adds this "special something" to the Absinthe.

Drinking Absinthe is a ritual...

Loki
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 11:13 PM
You can drink it "as it is", but this wouldn't be the right way. You put a sugar cube or just sugar on that spoon, pour a little bit of Absinthe ofer it and kindle it. The sugar will drop though the hole in the spoon (it's actually an Absinthe fork) in the glas and adds this "special something" to the Absinthe.

Drinking Absinthe is a ritual...

I have to try this! I will look out for a place to buy it...

Weg
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Very popular in the 19th c., lots of people drank it. That was very notorious to get them mad and therefore was forbidden up recently. They have changed the composition of the stuff. You can drink it safely. :D Never tried though.

newenstad
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 11:22 PM
I´ve been in a czech pub (i can´t remember the name for some reasons) which was very famous for its absinthe...

in my hometown a lot of bars offer the "light" absinthe but you can´t compare it with the half legal czech stuff...

Van Gogh rules...

Sigurd
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 11:34 PM
It's decent stuff. :D :thumbsup

RedJack
Sunday, October 16th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Now that's not a nice thing to say:D

Well, I'm not a nice person. ;)

She incriminated herself, though. (http://www.forums.skadi.net/showpost.php?p=112553&postcount=221)

Heidenlord
Monday, October 17th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Blutwölfin it is high on my list of to do things when I get to Germany in 2&1/2 months from now...

1) Go to Wagner's house and Festspielhaus
2) Stand somewhere or by somewhere Hitler stood
3) Absynthe...
4) Maybe find something that dates from pre-christian times, if there is anything like that in Germany around Bayreuth.

So you see, it is high on the list. And I think I am going to do it rudely, as you put it. When I do anything I do it at 110%, so I don't see why that stuff would be any different. I've just heard that one doesn't want to throw it up...for two reasons...1)It tastes even worse the 2nd time 2)throwing up while hallucinating isn't fun.

So sometime soon I will be able to tell some Absinthe stories.

newenstad
Monday, October 17th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Bayreuth on Absinthe :O

Heidenlord
Monday, October 17th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Soll ich das nicht tun? Ist es lästerlich so viel Absinthe in der Stadt des Meisters zu trinken?

Heidenlord
Monday, October 17th, 2005, 12:51 AM
accident sorry, admin please delete this

newenstad
Monday, October 17th, 2005, 12:53 AM
Just a joke...
Bayreuth isn´t the best place to make experience with drugs....

Blood_Axis
Monday, October 17th, 2005, 01:07 AM

Just ask Blood Axis. ;)

I have no idea of what you're talking about...I am the Green Fairy!! :D

http://www.forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=6283&stc=1&d=1129507626

DreamWalker
Monday, October 17th, 2005, 01:16 AM
I have to try this! I will look out for a place to buy it...
According to this, much of it is not the "real" thing, see the last two paragraphs for some supposedly authentic makers.

http://www.oxygenee.com/absintheFAQ6.html

DreamWalker
Monday, October 17th, 2005, 01:21 AM
I am the Green Fairy!! :D

http://www.forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=6283&stc=1&d=1129507626
Charming:)

But seems a bit impractical for everyday wear;)

SaveEurope
Monday, October 17th, 2005, 01:26 AM
I won a bottle of Sebor Absinthe on their online competition. I made a little flash animation. It's under " Sebor Absinth Flash Movie 23/02/2004" http://www.seborabsinth.com/competition/winners.asp

I can't say it's anything special. I had a few shots one time and nothing spectacular. Maybe I just didn't drink enough of it. I still have half a bottle left so :guinness: :9160:

DreamWalker
Monday, October 17th, 2005, 01:39 AM
And apparently all Absinthes are nowhere near equal;:scratch:

http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/reviews.html

HIM
Monday, October 17th, 2005, 01:49 AM
I have not yet tried Absinthe, but I would very much like to sometime soon. I considered buying a bottle from www.greenfairy.org, but it is rather expensive and I'm not sure what kind I should buy.

Ernest Hemmingway was quite famous not only for his writing, but for his love of Absinthe. Many believe that is what caused him to go mad and kill himself. Before he was big, he used to write for the newspaper in my city, The Kansas City Star. :D

anonymaus
Monday, October 17th, 2005, 02:00 AM
The madness associated with excessive and prolonged use of Absinthe was caused by the colouring agent used in the old days: copper oxide. Which is to say nothing of the other low-grade materials they mixed in, back then..

HIM
Monday, October 17th, 2005, 03:01 AM
The madness associated with excessive and prolonged use of Absinthe was caused by the colouring agent used in the old days: copper oxide. Which is to say nothing of the other low-grade materials they mixed in, back then..

Ah, I see. I believe White Iceland posted his own special recipe for Absinthe a while back. I'd like to try and brew some, but I need someone to be a taste tester just in case I mess up and it causes one to drop dead or something. :P

DreamWalker
Monday, October 17th, 2005, 04:26 AM
I have not yet tried Absinthe, but I would very much like to sometime soon. I considered buying a bottle from www.greenfairy.org, but it is rather expensive and I'm not sure what kind I should buy.

Better read this first, "What's wrong with Czech Absinth?";

http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/czech.html

Actually, the whole website has a lot of interesting info, including the info that "real" Absinthe cannot be made at home, it must be distilled. Of course, a rudimentary still can be made at home, but in the USA it can get you in trouble with the gov if you try to sell any product without paying the proper taxes.

http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index.html

Avero Hontu
Monday, October 17th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Er, I read that the problem of madness was originally not connected as much to absinth itself, but to the QUANTITY of the absinth that was consumed.

I kind of like the drink, one does not get a hangover from it. As well as its good icecold taste, the fire which flies out through your nostrils and the dragonlike feelin' after having a mouthful of it. :scratch: Am I mad already? I personally like to prepare absinth with the burning and liquifying sugar dropping on ice in absinthe.

Advertisement for Finns: In Norde Centrum near the harbour in Tallinn there is available both French, German and Czheck stuff, around 150 - 300 eek/ o,75L bottle.

Lundi
Monday, October 17th, 2005, 02:22 PM
I have only visited the Green Fairy once, cant say the day after felt good :P

http://www.lagunabeachgallery.com/sitebuilder/images/ABSINTHE_HAPPY_HOUR-226x150.jpg

Cuchullain
Wednesday, November 23rd, 2005, 12:09 PM
It certainly is an interesting drink but I must admit I lost about 6 hours the last time I drank it.

Slainte

Blood_Axis
Wednesday, November 23rd, 2005, 12:15 PM
It certainly is an interesting drink but I must admit I lost about 6 hours the last time I drank it.

Slainte
Not uncommon at all, this has happened before and elsewhere :D

Blutwölfin
Wednesday, November 23rd, 2005, 12:16 PM

Slainte

Would you mind tell me the name of the brand you drank? :D

Cuchullain
Wednesday, November 23rd, 2005, 12:18 PM
I'll have to get back to you on that.

Slainte

PsycholgclMishap
Wednesday, November 23rd, 2005, 04:06 PM
I have never tried Absinthe but I know many people who have and apparently they quite enjoy the experiences.

As far as I know Absinthe is illegal in the U.S. and must be smuggled into the country.

D'Vadder
Tuesday, November 14th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Mmmmh... I don't hate it and I don't love it. It's too hardcore to drink it every weekend, but 1 or 2 times in the year... Why not? :D

I prefer good old Met, Beer, Rum and Whiskey! :thumbup

Blood_Axis
Tuesday, November 14th, 2006, 12:28 PM

Just ask Blood Axis. ;)
Now, I wonder what he meant by that....... :insane :fcrazy: :D

Frans_Jozef
Wednesday, February 28th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Writers have often accessed a level of visionary experience beyond that of everyday consciousness, but what happens when that vision, fuelled by occultism, alcohol and a nervous breakdown, begins to cross over into madness. GARY LACHMAN examines the case of August Strindberg.

http://www.forteantimes.com/articles/180_strindberg1.shtml

Haunebu III
Tuesday, July 21st, 2009, 12:16 AM
Alaf Sal Runa!
I've been enjoying Absenthe for around 6 years now. I love the ritual in preparing this amazing drink and I like the effects. The Thujone effect is unlike anything you'll find in drinking mead, ale, or beer. I find meditating on the runes after drinking absenthe to be surreal. Do any others on this list drink Absenthe?

Wir sind alle Armanen!

Haunebu III

Astrid Runa
Friday, September 18th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Absinthe *gags*
You're drinking pure wormwood, which is a posion, incidently.
Nah. I prefer Liqueur, rum, vodka and Scnapps (SP?).
Fuzzy navel, anyone?

Berserkergang
Tuesday, September 29th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I have never drunk absinthe. I had a buddy drink a bunch of it one night, it was 70% and had lots of that wormwood in it. Well he started having mild hallucinations for about 20 mins on it. If you get certain brands they have hallucinogenic and major psychoactive properties to them much different than most alcohol.

Grey
Tuesday, September 29th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Absinthe *gags*
You're drinking pure wormwood, which is a posion, incidently.
Nah. I prefer Liqueur, rum, vodka and Scnapps (SP?).
Fuzzy navel, anyone?

It's also used in medicine. Absinthe isn't going to hurt anyone. Pure oxygen is toxic as well; that doesn't mean you shouldn't breathe.

JohnM
Sunday, February 14th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Here's an Absinthe recipe for anyone interested:
http://www.newspeakdictionary.com/pf-absinthe.html

Texas Redneck
Monday, March 22nd, 2010, 06:33 PM
I haven't had the pleasure in drinkin' it, unfortunately. I would love to one day though. :thumbup

Haunebu III
Saturday, April 3rd, 2010, 07:18 AM
I've been drinking it for about six years now. About once every 2-3 months. I love it. But I love anything that smells and tastes like black licorice or anise. The effect is different than any other alchoholic beverage. More like pot actually. Moderation in all things is the key.

Not all good comes from above!
Haunebu III

Devin De Blois
Friday, April 9th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I'd really like to try absinthe at some point. I'll probably just buy some from online and just drink it from a shot glass. It sounds good! :thumbup

Zimobog
Friday, April 9th, 2010, 06:54 PM
It is now legal here in the States. You can buy it at any big liqour store for about the price of a low-level bottle of single malt Scotch (or for Haunebu III, about the price of 3/16 of an ounce of good pot :D).

OneWolf
Friday, April 9th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Zimobog I did not know it was legal now here in the States.Could somebody
please explain to me how it efects you.I mean is the effects hallucinogenic or
is it like drinking Tequila.
I have always wanted to try Absinthe after seeing a program on the Discovery
Channel that was about Absinthe.Also I love anything that tastes like black licorice.:thumbup

SaxonPagan
Friday, April 9th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Didn't this stuff drive that French painter crazy (Van Gogh, wasn't it?)

I'm not sure, I might have to "wiki" that one but I do know it's been banned in France for quite a while now!

Wulfram
Friday, April 9th, 2010, 07:46 PM
“Liquid emerald” is how I once heard it described, but the taste is more like liquid licorice. :suspect
I suppose you have to drink it a while before it grows on you, but the few times I tried it were certainly not enough to convince me otherwise.
Maybe I’m just hard to please, but the overall effect was only that of a slight buzz.

I know there is supposed to be a ritual involved when drinking it but when a friend brought a bottle back from Europe we just popped the cap off and passed the thing around the circle.

What we call absinthe today is not what they were drinking back then, when Van Gogh and Toulouse-Lautrec were abusing it. When I was younger this is precisely the reason I wanted to drink it, I wanted to get drunk like the Victorians did.

Also, its appeal became even less for me when Marilyn Manson "discovered" it.
He even produces his own brand, which I have heard is just as tasteless as his music. :P

Absinthe is very pretty to look at , which does have the effect of adding to its allurement.
It must certainly stand out in a liquor store where every other liquid is either amber hued or clear.

'Mansinthe' by Marilyn Manson (Not kidding)

:D
http://www.nachtkabarett.com/ihvh/img/manson_absinthe.jpg

Valbiorn
Saturday, April 10th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Yes, it has been legal for around 3 years. You can buy a bottle brand: Lucid, product of France for around $65.00. It is made with wormwood - Artemisia absinthium which contains thujones, which are purported to be similar to THC, your mileage may vary...or you can make your own, which I do.
(Shameless Plug): I am in the process of re-writing an essay for HEX Magazine on Absinthe. Contact me off list if you would like my recipe.

wittwer
Tuesday, August 10th, 2010, 09:32 PM
It's ok, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. Now, for a real "Green Fairy" first you have to find some opium ... This isn't exactly a drink that is currently Legal.

Æğele Wiğercwida
Thursday, September 2nd, 2010, 05:47 AM
Do you know, it is almost impossible to get hold of decent absynthe in the UK. I think true absynthe is illegal or something.

But I would love to get my hands on some really wormwood heavy absynthe. . .

Leof
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Who here likes absinthe? Is it legal in your part of the world? Is there a type you prefer?

Goomer
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Who here likes absinthe? Is it legal in your part of the world? Is there a type you prefer?

My daughter likes it. Is it a mint liquer?

Meister
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Yes I do like it, yes it is legal and I like the Green Fairy brand/type.

norski
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 04:04 AM
It's ok, but I prefer wheat beers.

Wulfram
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 07:58 AM
http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=104586

Leof
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 08:14 AM
http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=104586

Hey I wasn't here for that and I didn't want to necro an old thread :P

Hersir
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 08:40 AM
I've only tasted it twice, it was very strong. Can't say I liked it very much. My favorite boose is rum, jägermeister, becherovka and vodka.

Leof
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I've only tasted it twice, it was very strong. Can't say I liked it very much. My favorite boose is rum, jägermeister, becherovka and vodka.

Was it served properly with a cube of sugar and ice cold water mixed in?

Hersir
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 09:08 AM

No, it wasnt, hehe. Absinthe is illegal in Norway because of the high %

Leof
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 09:17 AM
My daughter likes it. Is it a mint liquer?

It's an herbal liquer

Hersir
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Another very good herb liqour: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Becherovka

I received this and some slivovitz when some friends from Czech republic visited me:)

Leof
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Another very good herb liqour: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Becherovka

I received this and some slivovitz when some friends from Czech republic visited me:)

That looks pretty darn good I must say. Considerably lower alcohol percentage. This is another one I like that tends to be hard to come by

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartreuse_(liqueur)

It's funny when you think about how a lot of the west's alcohol culture stems from the Christian monks when compared to the prohibitionists.

Hersir
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 11:26 AM
True, hehe. The beer which is suppoused to be the best in the world are brewed by monks. With their long traditions for brewing, I dont doubt it. Outside of my town on a small island there was a catholic monastery, they got complaints from the town because there were too much noise which I bet comes from drinking:P

made by the Carthusian Monks since the 1740s.

Awsome! Want to try it sometime.

Patrioten
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 11:34 AM
No, it wasnt, hehe. Absinthe is illegal in Norway because of the high %Is it really illegal or just rumoured to be illegal? Here the common understanding is that absinth is illegal even though it's not.

Lady Vengeance
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I just had absinthe last night. Mmmmmm. :D

Is it really illegal or just rumoured to be illegal? Here the common understanding is that absinth is illegal even though it's not.
I know! You can actually buy it at Systemet, but not many people realize that. Over here in Greece it's officially illegal, but I can get it under-the-counter.

Thusnelda
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I don´t know what it is and I never tried it. We drink beer in Bavaria, the home of beer purity law. :D

Hersir
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Is it really illegal or just rumoured to be illegal? Here the common understanding is that absinth is illegal even though it's not.

Hm, I thought it had too much % to be legal here, but they sell a 60% version of it. Any alcohol over 60% are labelled as drugs in Norway.

Leof
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Hm, I thought it had too much % to be legal here, but they sell a 60% version of it. Any alcohol over 60% are labelled as drugs in Norway.

This is what a girl told me yesterday actually (from Tromsö). She said anything above 60% is considered a drug and can lead to some nasty repercussions.

norski
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 10:50 PM

I have. A few cubes of sugar helps, but it tastes like black licorice.

TXRog
Saturday, June 18th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Must admit I never heard of this stuff.

Perhaps due to my strong Celtic/Germanic roots, I prefer something a bit more "native" - Beck's (dark) beer and Bushmill's Irish whiskey.:thumbup

Weitgereister
Thursday, July 28th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I have had the opportunity to try both modern absinthe and "pre-ban" absinthe. It my honest opinion, the modern stuff tasted, to me, very similar to Jagermeister liquor. The pre-ban just tasted a little off to me, though there is a lot of argument about methods of preparation. Generally, setting fire to the absinthe is a huge faux pas and it is thought to ruin the taste.

Elfriede
Monday, December 12th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Absinthe is my very favorite drink! I'm not going to lie, that might be because the whole spoon/sugar cube ritual makes me feel really cool! In America it is really hard to find good, legitimate Absinthe. I drink a brand called Lucid. Supposedly it's the first real Absinthe in America since the ban. I don't know if that is true or not but I went on an Absinthe connoisseur's forum and apparently it's actually an alright brand!