PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Riots

Sauerteig
Thursday, June 16th, 2011, 09:59 PM
This may not belong in the lounge, as I think it raises more serious issues. What do you guys make of the Vancouver riots. Vancouver is mostly a white city. It is mult-culti, but with an infusion of Asian peoples which is a far different matter than blacks and hispanics.
From what I gather, these guys are just destroying property--nobody has been killed. Still. . .. it is troubling.
The only positive thing I can say is I admire their passion. But I suspect this is just an excuse to destroy stuff, rather than a heartfelt expression of sorrow for a team's elimination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-NFPLaBBts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VzOUKODdZ4

GeistFaust
Thursday, June 16th, 2011, 10:17 PM
This may not belong in the lounge, as I think it raises more serious issues. What do you guys make of the Vancouver riots. Vancouver is mostly a white city. It is mult-culti, but with an infusion of Asian peoples which is a far different matter than blacks and hispanics.
From what I gather, these guys are just destroying property--nobody has been killed. Still. . .. it is troubling.
The only positive thing I can say is I admire their passion. But I suspect this is just an excuse to destroy stuff, rather than a heartfelt expression of sorrow for a team's elimination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-NFPLaBBts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VzOUKODdZ4

Most of them are probably of French descent so we should expect nothing different. Anyway it is quite troubling to see such a large white population acting like barbaric savages. I think they certainly need to be re-educated so they stop acting like a bunch of Arabs or Negroes.

Sauerteig
Thursday, June 16th, 2011, 10:22 PM
There is certainly a "whigger" sort of flavor I get from the guys I see--notably the backwards baseball caps. . ..

Æmeric
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 03:40 AM
The metropolitan population of Vancouver is nearly 1/2 non-Europid (visible minority it is called up there), even if there are not large numbers of Negroes & Hispanics the fact that the city/metro is very multiculural & that Anglophone Canadians are not expected (it is frowned upon) to have a sense of ethnicity means there is a lack of social cohesion in Vancouver. Add in the fact that Vancouver is very permissive, with a disrespect for traditional values & behavior, it should be no surprise that this is how people behave in the new, vibrant, multiracial Canada. Just a year ago there were major riots in Toronto during the G-20 summit, the rioters were Canadian they were not bussed in from the US.

Ælfrun
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 03:44 AM
I think it is giving us Canadians a bad rep. We are passionate about hockey, but they are acting like a bunch of animals which is disgusting.

Thorolf
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 03:51 AM
I love me some hockey, but what the hell is the point of rioting over it. I was pissed at my home team this year, but I'm not on the streets acting like a fool. People need to learn to grow up. I remember seeing people in a football stadium starting fist fights once also. Its a sport, it's entertainment, not exactly life changing.

Ælfrun
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 03:53 AM
I love me some hockey, but what the hell is the point of rioting over it. I was pissed at my home team this year, but I'm not on the streets acting like a fool. People need to learn to grow up. I remember seeing people in a football stadium starting fist fights once also. Its a sport, it's entertainment, not exactly life changing.

I was pissed off also. We almost won! I just swore a lot and yelled angrily, but there is no point in burning cars and stabbing people :P

FranzFed
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 04:06 AM
I heard that most of the rioters were actually anarchists disguised as angry Canuck fans taking advantage of the situation; atleast that's what the Vancouver police chief said. I did notice from the footage that there is a sizeable proportion of arabs or indians in the streets at the time. Atleast there aren't as many blacks polluting that beautiful city.

P.S. Luongo was horrible in that series:|

Sauerteig
Friday, June 17th, 2011, 04:10 AM
These are comments I wrote some friends on the matter.

I would admire their passion if I felt it was a genuine expression of angst at their team's loss.
I have experienced a wide range of emotions when the Packers lose, from punching walls and breaking s--t in my apartment to breaking down and crying, to a feeling of absolute despair, not eating or sleeping for days (that happened in 08 when we lost to the Giants).
It never ceases to amaze me how sanguine and even keeled I was after Tramon Williams broke up that fourth down and five pass. . . . Maybe because I had to start a new gig the next day and because I was holed up at Sammy's place away from others.
Be that as it may, I think this is just an excuse to destroy s--t. Note the backwards baseball caps and other whigger relics of the rioters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FJPix6RpPo

BubbleGumWarrior
Saturday, June 18th, 2011, 05:19 PM
- lot's of discontent in Vancouver, any excuse will do...
probably more political than anything.

Fredericus Rex
Sunday, June 19th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Most of them are probably of French descent so we should expect nothing different. Anyway it is quite troubling to see such a large white population acting like barbaric savages. I think they certainly need to be re-educated so they stop acting like a bunch of Arabs or Negroes.

Erhm BC and Vancouver would be largely Anglophone along with most of Canada except Quebec and perhaps some surrounding areas.

And I suppose this destroys the smugness of many who enjoy laughing at blacks or Arabs or Hispanics when they riot considering it was largely the whites of Vancouver rather than the Asians who became frenzied idiots.

The Aesthete
Monday, June 20th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Hooliganism they should be protesting the loss of our cultural and racial identity instead

Are you a troll?

The Aesthete
Monday, June 20th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Only tribalism legally permissible so it is an outlet possibly in absence of folk