PDA

View Full Version : Genetic 'Green Light' Could Lead to a Cure for Hundreds of Ills

celticviking
Thursday, June 16th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Scientists have altered the ‘code of life’ in a breakthrough that could lead to cures for hundreds of devastating diseases.
The discovery, hailed as ‘the new miracle of modern medicine’ could lead to ways of ending the symptoms and the pain caused by up to a third of genetic conditions.
These include cystic fibrosis, Britain’s most common life-threatening inherited condition, haemophilia and Duchenne muscular dystrophy, an incurable condition that cripples 100 babies born in the UK every year.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2004033/Genetic-green-light-lead-cure-hundreds-ills.html#ixzz1PP4OFazN

feisty goddess
Thursday, June 16th, 2011, 04:01 AM
Wow, that's really amazing! :D I see this as eventually becoming a cosmetic thing though.

Oh wait a minute, is it just a prenatal test or treatment for people with the diseases?

Neophyte
Thursday, June 16th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Wow, that's really amazing! :D I see this as eventually becoming a cosmetic thing though.

Oh wait a minute, is it just a prenatal test or treatment for people with the diseases?

No, he is clearly talking about live human beings, or at least about a multicellular stage:

However, he acknowledged the ethics of altering the genetic code would have to be considered. Although the changes made would not be passed on to the next generation, it would be technically possible to tamper with traits such as eye colour.

And if you can take a stop codon out you could put one in. So I guess that a lot of darker people will be using these sorts of technologies to bleach their skin. Certainly more healthy than the mercury soap many of them seem to be using now.

But, hopefully, curing the crooked nose will be more difficult.