PDA

View Full Version : Dove Ad Racist

celticviking
Wednesday, May 25th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Soap giant Dove has landed itself in hot water after an advert for one of its products appeared to suggest it can change a user's skin colour.
The promotion, for Dove VisibleCare Creme Body Wash - a 2.69 product that is available in Boots - features a 'before' and 'after' skin chart behind a black woman, possibly a Latina and a blonde - all wrapped in towels - standing beside each other.
The caption reads: 'Visibly more beautiful skin from the most unexpected of places - your shower.'
But critics are in a lather over the ad, accusing Dove of implied - and albeit unintentional - racism.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1390312/Soap-giant-Dove-accused-racism-body-wash-advert.html

Northern Paladin
Wednesday, May 25th, 2011, 03:46 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/05/24/article-1390312-0C3CF15A00000578-525_468x602.jpg

Yup, you can't get any more racist than this ^

Maybe they're mad because they White woman is standing next to the after poster, while the mulatto one is by the before poster? Still, the after skin tone is on average darker than the before skin tone, because it lacks those white lines/cracks.

Of course, Dove will have to change the add. I think removing the White woman from the add will appease everyone.

Hilderinc
Wednesday, May 25th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Ha. They use a "multicultural rainbow" and it's racist? Maybe they should use a proportionate number of race/population. No wait, that would be racist since there would be too many whites. :oanieyes

There is someone to complain about everything.

Wulfram
Wednesday, May 25th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Sigh, they may as well say that it offends fat people also, since Dove clearly implies that women should be ashamed of their bodies and in need of immediate wight loss.

Autosomal Viking
Thursday, May 26th, 2011, 03:19 AM
It's the turmoil created by false reality of racial equality that is institutionally enforced clashing with the complainers' inferiority complex that they deep-down acknowledge. Both cannot be true, they are mutually exclusive. It bothers them because they know white women have the smoothest, most beautiful skin while certain other peoples always have cracked, wrinkly skin on their hands and feet. :-O

Northern Paladin
Thursday, May 26th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Ha. They use a "multicultural rainbow" and it's racist? Maybe they should use a proportionate number of race/population. No wait, that would be racist since there would be too many whites. :oanieyes

There is someone to complain about everything.

I think the problem is the White woman. If they want to make everyone happy they need to replace the White woman by an East-Asian, an Indian, or another hispanic or black woman. Then nobody would complain, because as we all know, Whites don't complain :|

Sigh, they may as well say that it offends fat people also, since Dove clearly implies that women should be ashamed of their bodies and in need of immediate wight loss.

You mean how the ad goes from fat mulatto woman (before) to intermediate hispanic woman to skinny White woman (after)? I guess if they complained about that it would have actually made some sense.

It only bothers them because they know white women have the smoothest, most beautiful skin while certain other peoples always have cracked, wrinkly skin on their hands and feet. :-O

I noticed this too. Even their young children have this problem.