PDA

View Full Version : Biological Consequences of the Modern Lifestyle

Northern Paladin
Sunday, May 22nd, 2011, 06:44 AM
1. We don’t use our bodies as much as our ancestors did. We (the average Jill and George) spend most of the time sitting, whether we’re driving to work, at work, at home, or anywhere for that matter, we’re almost always sitting. If we do use our bodies, it’s usually in a sporadic and unnatural way i.e. weight-lifting, tread-mill, etc.

2. The food we eat is radically different from the food our ancestors ate. We eat a mush of chemically tainted food day in and day out.

3. We don’t have to think as much as our ancestors did. Everything is made for us; we don’t have to use our brains or our hands 99% of the time. Every aspect of our lives has been highly simplified. We don’t have to go hunting, we have the grocery store. We don’t have to worry about making anything, because it’s already pre-made. Those of us, who use our brains, use them in radically different ways than our ancestors.

I’m wondering what the consequences of all this might be, in terms of evolution. I’m particularly interested in the short-term effects this might have on our phenotypes. Changes in phenotype in a population are caused by processes, such as Aplinization, Dinarization, Baltization, etc, which are simply adaptations to a specific life-style. I wonder what affects our modern life-style will have on our phenotypes. I’m also wondering where evolution will take us in the future.

Caledonian
Sunday, May 22nd, 2011, 06:46 AM
With a conversation like this we could talk for days about the absurdities and consequences when it concerns the various existential formations of modernity. ;)

I look forward to having some spare time in the future myself to go in great depths of this subject.

The consequences are not just limited in physical scope but also are very much psychological as well where there is mental degradation too.

Elessar
Sunday, May 22nd, 2011, 06:51 AM
It won't take long before this cycle collapses under it's own massive weight. I wouldn't worry about it nearly as much as people make it out to be. Our period of history will weed the Strong from the Weak (there's a reason only 2 people survive Ragnarok). Focus on the issues close to home and you can have a good bet your descendants will be the ruling class rather than the thralls who wallow in modernity. For the evolutionary feature of Post-Modern culture is that survival of the fittest does not select the most noble or fitting candidates for stable generational progress, only those who make opportunistic grabs at wealth and materialistic trash have a chance under this system.
Ride it out and reap the benefits.

Edgard
Sunday, May 22nd, 2011, 08:15 AM
It won't take long before this cycle collapses under it's own massive weight. I wouldn't worry about it nearly as much as people make it out to be. Our period of history will weed the Strong from the Weak (there's a reason only 2 people survive Ragnarok). Focus on the issues close to home and you can have a good bet your descendants will be the ruling class rather than the thralls who wallow in modernity. For the evolutionary feature of Post-Modern culture is that survival of the fittest does not select the most noble or fitting candidates for stable generational progress, only those who make opportunistic grabs at wealth and materialistic trash have a chance under this system.
Ride it out and reap the benefits.

I read somewhere a year or so back. I cant find the link sadly :( That adaptation happens much faster than people have always believed. Also environmental pollutants have a negative effect down the generations. I am worried what long term harm the modern lifestyle is doing. I am also becoming more concerned about sourcing clean food.

Hersir
Sunday, May 22nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
I think our bodies will grow weaker, but with a larger brain. Our bodies are not made to sit down for many hours a day, so maybe our skeleton will adjust to that, it will of course take a long time.

Because of all the chemicals we release animals are getting transgendered, and then these poisons reach us. Kids are getting ready to get have children at a younger and younger age.

Because of all the sugar in our diets, babies are getting fatter and fatter. Refined sugar should not be in our diets, only natural sweetener like honey.

Evolution didnt stop with us, but we have slowed it down with our modern lifestyle.

Edgard
Sunday, May 22nd, 2011, 02:29 PM
I think our bodies will grow weaker, but with a larger brain. Our bodies are not made to sit down for many hours a day, so maybe our skeleton will adjust to that, it will of course take a long time.

Because of all the chemicals we release animals are getting transgendered, and then these poisons reach us. Kids are getting ready to get have children at a younger and younger age.

Because of all the sugar in our diets, babies are getting fatter and fatter. Refined sugar should not be in our diets, only natural sweetener like honey.

Evolution didnt stop with us, but we have slowed it down with our modern lifestyle.

We wont have a larger brain. Average IQ's are falling. The stupid have more children. :)
I do worry about the poison we take in. Hormones from the pill have got into our food and make men more feminine.

Hersir
Sunday, May 22nd, 2011, 02:51 PM
We wont have a larger brain. Average IQ's are falling. The stupid have more children. :)

If IQ is falling why does numbers from the army show otherwise? IQ of male recruits are growing higher and higher. Ofcourse we will have a larger brain, that was what happened with each step of the evolution before.

Ocko
Sunday, May 22nd, 2011, 03:09 PM
Evolution in humans were not survival of the fittest individual but that of a group. For group survival, networking, mutual assistance, communication etc was more important than having the thickest muscles.

A group ruled by people who gained wisdom has a bigger chance than a group ruled by brutes,

I think the traits we consider positive in people are the ones which will bring the biggest success in life and thus will survive longer than others.

If you attain wealth on the cost of others they will be after you and your life might not be as well. when you gain wealth and help people of your group to do so as well you have a better success because your offsprings will find a better environment.

Big companies need a lot of people, if you treat the bad they will not work as well. Therefore you have all that schemes like corporate identity and so on.

there is nothing in the evolution which for ex. will protect you against high radiation like in Fukushima. Fukushima could have been avoided if people were ruled by wisdom. (aka not using it at all, or at least don't build it were it is in danger).

I believe groups (like the japanese people) who will get a sense of 'togetherness' and being ruled by benevolent people will survive and get ahead.

People like in Africa are on the opposite end, they kill each other and then what? the strongest survive and get the girls to breed? So to what does that lead?

Patrioten
Sunday, May 22nd, 2011, 03:11 PM
When you read all of the news stories about how we are getting fatter and fatter, with all of the medical complications that go along with this, it is easy to forsee disaster abound. But is it possible that there is also a divergence between those that stay fit and healthy and those that get fat and unhealthy? Even if we get to a point where half the population is either obese or overweight you will still have the other half that will be representative of the modern day human, living long lives and being affected mostly by degenerative diseases at a very old age.

Hersir
Sunday, May 22nd, 2011, 03:33 PM
Evolution in humans were not survival of the fittest individual but that of a group. For group survival, networking, mutual assistance, communication etc was more important than having the thickest muscles.

Survival of the fittest does not mean survival of the most psychical strong, it means survival of the one who is best to adapt.

wittwer
Sunday, May 22nd, 2011, 04:12 PM
One of the outcomes of the Modern Sedentary Lifestyle is the current increase in obesity that contributes to increased diabetes, high blood pressures, cardio-pulmonary dieseases, strokes, and heart attacks. But then, we are living longer and for all intents and purposes, have overcome infectous dieseases that took us out at earlier ages before these other conditions overwhelmed the body...

The Horned God
Sunday, May 22nd, 2011, 06:45 PM
1. We dont use our bodies as much as our ancestors did. We (the average Jill and George) spend most of the time sitting, whether were driving to work, at work, at home, or anywhere for that matter, were almost always sitting. If we do use our bodies, its usually in a sporadic and unnatural way i.e. weight-lifting, tread-mill, etc.

While the modern sedentary lifestyle of city dwellers probably involves less than optimum levels of exercise, I wouldn't view the lives of our ancestors with rose-tinted glasses either.

Their lives were often at the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of exercise. They tended to suffer from diseases of over-use such as arthritis rather than of under-use such as obesity. Neither situation is Ideal. For instance, my own father is a farmer and he has quite bad arthritis in his shoulder from years of using a pitchfork, stacking bales etc.

There are several other farmers in the locality who have had similar and worse problems including requiring knee and hip replacements at relatively young ages (late 60's).

Our ancestors may have been fitter and healthier than we but they were not without their own particular health problems.

2. The food we eat is radically different from the food our ancestors ate. We eat a mush of chemically tainted food day in and day out.

The nadir of food health was in the 1950's, when white bread and jam, canned lunch meat, and TV dinners containing few vegetables were normal fare. At least nowadays most people know what it is they should be eating, even if not everyone actually does it.